2003 Subaru Legacy coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a 2003 Legacy wagon with low miles 43k. I don't believe the coolant has ever been changed or flushed. What coolant can I use? Currant coolant is Subaru green. Should I stick with Subaru OEM or are there other brands that are cheaper but just as good or better?

Please spend a lot of time researching this subject for your specific motor. Go to a Subaru forum, figure out what motor you have. Some Subaru's have headgasket problems, they have an additive to use with coolant changes, if your type of engine is supposed to have it added, please ad it! Or you will have issue's later down the line. I would just use the Subaru coolant If I was you. Pentofrost A2 would be your other option.

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
I would just use the Subaru coolant If I was you. Pentofrost A2 would be your other option.

Exactly this, and add a bottle of the Subaru Cooling System Conditioner (or Holts Radweld).

Originally Posted By: johnnyv38
I recently acquired a 2003 Legacy wagon with low miles 43k. I don't believe the coolant has ever been changed or flushed. What coolant can I use? Currant coolant is Subaru green. Should I stick with Subaru OEM or are there other brands that are cheaper but just as good or better?

If you are getting something other than OEM Subaru I can recommend the gold colored Peak Global. It has an aluminum friendly formula but it can be harder to get than the Subaru green stuff your Legacy was factory filled with. Nice to find a low mileage 2003 Subie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back