Tan gunk growing/floating in new nissan coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a jug of Nissan L248SP coolant mixed with 50/50 distilled water about 3-4 yrs old. Been using it to add as needed. Today I opened it (been about 8 months since last used)and there is about 1/4" of tan gunk floating on top. I shook it and it does not mix in. I filtered it through coffee filter and it is slimy tan [censored]. Car tank and radiator look fine. Any ideas what it is. I have lots of coolant stored and none have [censored] growing in them. I have no intention of using it just wondering if it will grow more, its in new clean jug. I will post pics tomorrow.

Odds are it will grow more. What you see collected at the top, which you filtered off is simply the part of it that grew and collected. I'd be willing to bet there's other... stuff.. in there that will continue to grow.

Almost sounds like a 'mother' of some sort.

Ya no way it has oil in it, original Nissan container. No oil smell and I have seen oil in coolant over the years not the same. Some other sort of growth, bacterial? Algea?
its Ethylene Glycol and contains no Amines, Silicates or Borates.

Last edited:
its growing some kind of bacteria/slime/algae most likely.

Diesel fuel can as well.

I wouldnt use it.

nope not going to use it, just watching it and wondering if anyone else has ever seen it. I never have.

Last edited:
Nissan finally got back to me, Their engineers say it is the water pump seal lubricant they add. If it gets too old it can separate. They said don't use it. It was from E-bay so who knows how old it was before I opened it. The bottle I filtered did not grow anymore and now its been pitched. Car still looks good no residue in tank or in neck at radiator cap. However the car also has norosion in it 1 pint every year. The older version is what I have with the molybade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back