Bypass filter on ford ecoboost engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

On a ford ecoboost engine, which are somewhat known to dilute the oil with fuel, would a bypass filter offer much value? I was thinking more along the lines of not, since I might have to change the oil at a more normal interval because of the fuel anyways.

Thanks!

This is not a significant issue on EB engines. So no.

List the make/model/year/engine and someone will tell you if a catch can is worth the bother.

What do you mean by "might have to change oil at interval because of the fuel anyways?" No.

Wherever you are getting your info, seek it elsewhere, and provide more info about exactly what you have.

I mean, if my oil is diluted with fuel, is there any utility to an oil catch can because I might be limited to a lowish OCI because of fuel dilution.

A "Bypass oil filter" has zero effect on fuel dilution.

It's a filter - not a refinery.

A catch can might (the intake tract) help in some cases - but still not help with fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by Linctex
A "Bypass oil filter" has zero effect on fuel dilution.

It's a filter - not a refinery.

A catch can might (the intake tract) help in some cases - but still not help with fuel dilution.

I agree, which means that if my engine (2.7 ecoboost) dilutes oil with fuel, then a bypass oil filter would not be of much use for me. (That was actually the main point of my opening post.)

I guess I also have a second question that is separate from fuel dilution aspect. If my motive is mostly a ROI due to extended OCIs, is there an ROI argument for a usage case with lowish miles driven per year? I drive less than 10k miles/year at the moment.

My thinking is that, if the oil will need to be changed at lowish miles for some non-wear reason (ex, fuel dilution or oil-age in months) then the ROI argument will be harmed.

Am I thinking this through correctly?

Originally Posted by Dave9
Wherever you are getting your info, seek it elsewhere, and provide more info about exactly what you have.
Willing to bet the OP is getting that information from here as much as anywhere. You haven't seen the posts ? All Ecoboosts engines have fuel dilution problems. They are all going to blow up soon.

I'm certainly open to being wrong. My interest would be hightened if there was an economic argument for using a bypass filter in my application (2.7 EcoBoost in truck, 95% unladen, 5% towing near GCWR), while driving 6-8k miles per year, 80% rural at 40 mph, 20% highway at 65 mph.

It would honestly require oil analysis, with particle count, to determine if a bypass would help get soot or other small debris out of the oil. Unfortunately it's not going to stop fuel, it will pass right through. UOA will also allow you to get an idea of how big a fuel problem you're dealing with, too.

A catch can might keep the turbo, charge cooler, and intake cleaner. Might if the OE deign is not effective in separating the oil first.

The only benefit would be to capture soot particles produced be direct injection that are too small for the normal filter and have been linked to chain wear and stretch. No help for fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Willing to bet the OP is getting that information from here as much as anywhere. You haven't seen the posts ? All Ecoboosts engines have fuel dilution problems. They are all going to blow up soon.

Heh, not stating dilution doesn't happen, just that they are not especially high diluters compared to other turbo GDI engines. You make your engine choice and live with the trade offs. Last Ford I bought, I specifically did not want an EB.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

That's why they call them Ecobooms.

Can someone help me understand whether or not a bypass filter makes economic sense in my use case (outlined above)?

Originally Posted by kehyler
Can someone help me understand whether or not a bypass filter makes economic sense in my use case (outlined above)?

No, what is there you that aren't understanding? look at this video as an aid to decide.link to help you decide.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by kehyler

No, what is there you that aren't understanding? look at this video as an aid to decide.link to help you decide.

I'm not understanding how to estimate the net cost of using a BP filter system in my application.

With the potential fuel dilution a Bypass filter is a waste of $$$$$$. Put one on and see what benefits you will receive.

Originally Posted by CT8
With the potential fuel dilution a Bypass filter is a waste of $$$$$$. Put one on and see what benefits you will receive.

I guess I'm not 100% sure that the 2.7 ecoboost has a fuel dilution issue, maybe this particular ecoboost doesn't?

There is no traditional media (cellulose, syn, or a combo) that is capable of separating fuel from other petroleum products.
IOW - a filter cannot distinguish the difference between gas and oil, hence it cannot separate gas from oil.
No - a BP filter won't help remove fuel dilution.

As for the ROI topic, a BP filter won't help there if the limit of 10k miles is the established constraint. Generally BP filtration cannot affect the wear rates enough in lower mileage OCIs, and therefore they never pay for themselves. You have to get out well past 15k miles before a BP even has a hope of paying for itself. In fact, there's no data I'm aware of that truly establishes the payback point in terms of a ROI that is, as a whole, consumable for all situations.

BP filtration, first and foremost, is a tool to extend the OCIs. It's a fiscal savings tool to reduce the number of oil changes. It is not a tool to alter wear; that's a VERY common misunderstanding and misinterpretation of several filter "studies". Any engine (or tranny, diff, etc) will have a wear rate of "x", "y", or "z" for each metal. As long as your wear rates are low, the oil is acceptable for continued use. There are condemnation limits for total magnitudes established by several leading diesel companies, but none that I've seen for gas engines. And, wear rates are never discussed by those same companies.

It is impossible for a BP filter system to pay for itself in 10k mile OCIs on a small sump system such as most any typical car/truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back