Oiled undercarraige long term pics.

Bought a 2005 Malibu Classic yesterday. One of the selling points for me was the claim that the undercarriage had been oiled throughout its life. Took a few pics today to see if that was true and how effective the oiling was on 14 years of New England salt...

20190221_102410.jpg

20190221_102533.jpg

20190221_102453.jpg

20190221_102708.jpg

20190221_102551.jpg

Not so impressive IMHO. It had the treatment, but as to how often, and how effective, I would not be asking for the shop that did this service for future applications.

Fluid film by yourself, Krown or others by professionals will be better....but how much longer do you want to drive it?

l live in the rust belt and have had many older cars. Most are taken to the scrap yard due to corrosion. IMHO the results shown in the pics are excellent. If this treatment is kept up, the body will outlast the engine. No small feat in this environment.

Looks good
thumbsup2.gif

Obviously it's no California car, but definitely not bad considering where it comes from. All the bolts look intact, and that is definitely worth something
smile.gif

Do you normally take your cars to get rustproofed? If not, and you're wondering where to get it done, check these out

Originally Posted by Kira
Looks pretty darn good to me.

Fluid film applies with a what?? Hudson sprayer?

The best way I found is either with a rustproofing gun, which also gives access to rocker panels, and the inside of doors, etc. Or an airless sprayer which is great for fast and heavy coverage of the undercarriage itself. I use both.

Can't you simply apply some used motor oil?
It's cheaper (practically free) and is gonna leak/ drip off anyway.
21.gif

Is it me or does that first picture show the undercoating on the exhaust pipe? If so, I'd be very weary.

I live in the same area and if that car spent it's entire life around here (New England), those results are excellent. This really is the rust belt, just the past three weeks have been a total nightmare...you can't even keep up with the salt even if you wash your car every single day. It's been relentless. And I'm going through windshield washer fluid almost every week. Absolute worst place to own a car (although Canada is pretty bad too).

I use Fluid Film twice a year. I'd like to try Krown but it's not available around here (unless you can buy a five gallon container online). There are other brands too...New Hampshire Oil Undercoating is pretty popular, but the Fluid Film is readily available anywhere. I use a spray gun to apply it...seems to work pretty good.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
The best way I found is either with a rustproofing gun, which also gives access to rocker panels, and the inside of doors, etc. Or an airless sprayer which is great for fast and heavy coverage of the undercarriage itself. I use both.
Spraying the undercarriage is good, but seems to be more for peace of mind than anything. You can't fix sheet metal rust with a can of PB blaster and a torch like you can with fasteners. Cars rust around the wheel wells from getting driven in the winter, rusty floors are from being parked on grass or dirt.

One problem with the underside of vehicles is that with or without an oil coating, sometimes the factory applied finish starts to fail and flake off after 8 or more years. The exposed metal starts to surface rust. You do another annual application of oil, the surface rusted area is protected, but other parts loose the factory coating. Think of it like an old house with numerous paint layers: the first layer fails and takes the newest layer off with it. You scrape and repaint, but other areas fail in the same way. The new paint is not going to prevent failure of the initial coat. The annual oil application is not 100% effective, but it keeps things in check good enough.

I think that the OP's picture is quite good. It would be 100% rust covered with no oil coating ever applied.

the latest genius idea in my part of NH is using small round stone and salt , think ball bearings that pelt the undercarriage viciously. People on dirt roads like it. We tried a hard brake test and it was no worse than plain sand/salt mix. We use a local shop for oiling on the 77 and 95 and there is no rust. The shop owner that rebuilt the auto trans on the 95 said he would think twice before doing another one.

Originally Posted by Dinoburner

the latest genius idea in my part of NH is using small round stone and salt , think ball bearings that pelt the undercarriage viciously. People on dirt roads like it. We tried a hard brake test and it was no worse than plain sand/salt mix. We use a local shop for oiling on the 77 and 95 and there is no rust. The shop owner that rebuilt the auto trans on the 95 said he would think twice before doing another one.

I've seen those round balls of salt, I'll take those over the spray treatment they do now. Have you seen this stuff? Usually it's on the highways but I've seen them do side roads too. A truck is just spraying this brime right into the pavement...they say it's worse than the rock salt because the rock salt takes a little time to coat and get up into your frame, whereas the brine spray is instant and easily gets into all of the crevices and is instantly activated as a rust causing agent. Nasty stuff.

Originally Posted by Railrust

I've seen those round balls of salt, I'll take those over the spray treatment they do now. Have you seen this stuff? Usually it's on the highways but I've seen them do side roads too. A truck is just spraying this brime right into the pavement...they say it's worse than the rock salt because the rock salt takes a little time to coat and get up into your frame, whereas the brine spray is instant and easily gets into all of the crevices and is instantly activated as a rust causing agent. Nasty stuff.

That brine also is very tough to get off the windsheild when it is kicked up by vehicles in front. Wiper fluid doesn't seem to completely clean it, usually causes it to streak.

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
Originally Posted by Railrust

That brine also is very tough to get off the windsheild when it is kicked up by vehicles in front. Wiper fluid doesn't seem to completely clean it, usually causes it to streak.

Tell me about it, I've gone through 3 gallons of windshield washer fluid in the past month. I can't wait to get out of this winter, we didn't get a lot of snow where I am this year, but it seems like there's been some sort of little even almost every day...an inch here, some rain, a deep freeze, ice, a couple inches there, more ice. Salt salt salt salt. Brime brime brime brime.

Did an oil change the other day, checked the fluid film treatment I did back in November. I'd say it did pretty well so far...had to touch up two areas. But I don't know how much longer it'll last going through this winter. I'll do another application in May...then another in November. I've read that the more you do it over the years, the more it mixes with the dust and sand and creates a decent barrier. It's not the thickest stuff to begin with.

I've seen better as well but given the area this vehicle is in, it's fantastic versus not using anything and what that would have produced. I'd buy the vehicle in this condition.

Back