Home

Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints??

Posted By: BJD78

Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 02:43 PM

I was at the barber last week and one of the customers was on the topic of how he plays guitar a lot and has arthritis in his wrist and thumbs. He was on a diet of OTC stuff asprin Ibuprofen with no help and he heard about using WD40 several years before so now when ever he decides to play he sprays his wrist and thumb joints with WD40. He said it keeps hisjoints in good shape and he only does it about twice a week. Does not seem like it would be the safest thing to do at least long term. Seems to me it would be toxic, I will not try it. I know WD40 can be used for many things, but I have never in my 58 years on this planet ever heard of spraying it on arthritic joints. Anyway anyone else on here ever heard of using WD40 on arthritic joints?
Posted By: muddawgs

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 02:51 PM

The old guy next door puts it on his knee. He's 90!! idk if it would be a good idea but it does sound interesting.
Posted By: rollinpete

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 02:52 PM

I've never heard of it before, I suppose it may work, probably the toxins are dulling the pain (I would never do it).
Posted By: old1

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 02:53 PM

I have heard of it before, but have no first hand knowledge if it works or any problems from using it.
Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 02:54 PM

Maybe they get high off the fumes and don't give a darn about arthritis pain anymore?
;^)
Honestly sounds nuts to me, but you never know.
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 02:54 PM

That must do the kidneys and liver wonders.
Posted By: walterjay

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 02:57 PM

Avoid contact with skin
Posted By: Sayjac

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 02:59 PM

Placebo effect only. There's a youtube by BillyPenn 300 guitars. com on using it for such.

Regularly massaging petroleum distillates into the skin? Pass.
Posted By: Reddy45

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 03:12 PM

Can't stand the smell let alone the feeling on the skin.
Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 04:06 PM

More voodoo science. And they are not even claiming it's homeopathic. banana
Posted By: KGMtech

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 04:18 PM

The Old Order Mennonites in my area do this all the time. For some of them, the eau-de-WD 40 is a big improvement...must be due to the heavy black wool coats they wear 16/365 ?
Posted By: andyd

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 04:28 PM

MMO would smell better
Posted By: Rolla07

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 04:37 PM

Id try other remedies first.
Posted By: MolaKule

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 04:57 PM

Quote:
Maybe they get high off the fumes and don't give a darn about arthritis pain anymore?
;^)
Honestly sounds nuts to me, but you never know.

Quote:
More voodoo science. And they are not even claiming it's homeopathic.

thumbsup thumbsup
Posted By: JeepWJ19

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 05:04 PM

Posted By: Trav

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 05:18 PM

Try Kroil.
Posted By: OneEyeJack

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 05:34 PM

You've only got part of it. The story is that you put DMSO or ground up aspirin on the knee, spray it with WD-40 and then rub it in.
Posted By: thooks

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 06:03 PM

WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's a solvent. It's mostly mineral spirits, which removes oils/grease.

I really wish people would pick up on this. They wonder why they have to spray the door hinges 4-6 times a year with this stuff. I hit mine once a year with Ballistol.

Hinges, too!

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You've only got part of it. The story is that you put DMSO or ground up aspirin on the knee, spray it with WD-40 and then rub it in.
That might be a good choice but I think a 50/50 mixture of Broadway Joe's 454 and dirt from El Santuario de Chimayo would be hard to beat.
Posted By: nickaluch

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 07:05 PM

My dad's friend swore by it lived to 86. Always got a good chuckle from it.
Posted By: Jooksing

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 08:31 PM

Stranger things has been used. Pain is a thing that will cause people to try crazy stuff. Placebo is my vote.

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 09:09 PM

That summed up my thoughts exactly, but the guy claimed it heled so placebo or whatever, more power to him. I would not try it though. IMO he is slowly poisoning himself. Having arthritis myself I used to pop ibuprofen like tic tacs, finally weaned myself off of them and find that just plain exercise and going on daily walks helps more than anything.
Posted By: NormanBuntz

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 10:51 PM

Total baloney.
Posted By: tc1446

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/09/18 10:55 PM

DMSO is a long time product used for such things. Heres what an MD web site says:

DMSO has been used as an industrial solvent since the mid-1800s. From about the mid-20th century, researchers have explored its use as an anti-inflammatory agent.
The FDA has approved DMSO as a prescription medication for treating symptoms of painful bladder syndrome. It's also used under medical supervision to treat several other conditions, including shingles.
DMSO is easily absorbed by the skin. It's sometimes used to increase the body's absorption of other medications.

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/10/18 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Total baloney.
You are far too kind, the words I use to describe it would probably get me banned from this site 4 ever. LOL!
Posted By: Vdubuk

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/17/18 07:52 PM

Ha ha ..love that gif!..how about turpentine for swollen joints..heard that remedy before
Posted By: mrdctaylor

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 04/25/18 06:37 PM

I've heard of people doing that with MMO, but never WD40.
Posted By: dirtymudder

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 05/06/18 11:49 PM

Sounds like a pinched nerve between c5 and c6 in the neck
Posted By: Oil_Flunky

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 05/12/18 09:35 PM

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
That must do the kidneys and liver wonders.
approved
Posted By: mx5miata

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 05/24/18 02:47 PM

West Indian people do this. I worked at a hardware store and they would buy gallon cans to send back home. Even had a few customers ask to order 55 GAL drum. Never did though
Posted By: FT92

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 06/07/18 08:03 AM

I have add my story....my uncle and dad both used wd 40 on joint pain and swore by it , both lived to 89 years old...myself I haven't tried it , not sure I will , but I guess if the pain is bad enough you just might try anything
Posted By: Driz

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 06/08/18 03:27 AM

Try rubbing or a poultice of castor oil instead. They have been using that for thousands of years and it really does work. Much cheaper too .
Posted By: Shannow

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 06/08/18 07:03 AM

Originally Posted By: tc1446

DMSO is a long time product used for such things. Heres what an MD web site says:

DMSO has been used as an industrial solvent since the mid-1800s. From about the mid-20th century, researchers have explored its use as an anti-inflammatory agent.
The FDA has approved DMSO as a prescription medication for treating symptoms of painful bladder syndrome. It's also used under medical supervision to treat several other conditions, including shingles.
DMSO is easily absorbed by the skin. It's sometimes used to increase the body's absorption of other medications.

Yes, DMSO is being used to speed, or even enable getting medications tow work transdermally. I've got some, don't use it for anything, just that I've got some.

Put it on your finger, and rub on the soles of your feet, and within minutes the garlic taste is in your mouth.
Posted By: vavavroom

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 06/17/18 03:59 AM

I believe the guy is rather a joker than a prat.

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 09/18/18 06:33 PM

Fine line between foolishness and fraud.
Posted By: mrdctaylor

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 10/11/18 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by andyd
MMO would smell better

I've actually heard of old guys using MMO this way, but never WD40.
Posted By: onetwoothreee

Re: Spraying WD40 on arthritic joints?? - 10/19/18 10:42 AM

Doing it wrong. You have to jam that nozzle in there deep.

© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy