Getting Film Off Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
The wheels on my Genesis seem to have some sort of film on them. Takes a lot of scrubbing with a microfiber towel but seems to come off. Is on all the wheels.

Since I bought the car in December I've cleaned the wheels with Aero Cosmetics waterless car wash and Meguiar's Quik Wax as you dry. I'm not sure if that caused the film. Today I hand washed the car with Meguiars Wash & Wax soap and used the rest of the soapy water on the wheels. Used a wheel brush in between the spokes and a microfiber towel on the outside surface.

Is there something I can use to clean this stuff off?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When water based stuff is not working you can always try a bit of oil on a rag.
I have cleaned several tough to clean wheels with baby oil followed by Dawn and then a waxy car wash soap
Just do a small pilot test

Those wheels look burned from improper usage of wheel acid. The only fix is to have them refinished.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Those wheels look burned from improper usage of wheel acid. The only fix is to have them refinished.

I second this, the "film" coming off is the destroyed clearcoat.

Those rims are toasted from acid and scrubbing with too abrasive of tools. It is not just the clear coat it is the paint that is highly damaged too. A new repaint and clear is your next move.

Originally Posted by Spktyr
Originally Posted by The Critic

I second this, the "film" coming off is the destroyed clearcoat.

As much as I hate to say this,I agree too.

Dittos on the above. The previous owner really trashed those wheels. There is some severe pitting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back