Home

Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax !

Posted By: ChrisD46

Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 12:48 PM

For an off the shelf sealant - it's hard to beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax as an all around sealant. It DOES NOT stain , is easy to apply / remove , gives decent protection and lasts at least 2 ~ 3 months - lastly the price is in line ... One of the few sealants also noted as being used by pro detailers and I can pick it up at any WM ! ... Perhaps best around , easy to obtain paint sealant (and ditto for the Meguiar's ultimate polish ) .
Posted By: edwardh1

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 12:59 PM

have there been any 3rd party review comparisons?
Posted By: Quattro Pete

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 01:35 PM

How long does it last?
Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
For an off the shelf sealant - it's hard to beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax as an all around sealant. It DOES NOT stain , is easy to apply / remove , gives decent protection and lasts at least 2 ~ 3 months - lastly the price is in line ... One of the few sealants also noted as being used by pro detailers and I can pick it up at any WM ! ... Perhaps best around , easy to obtain paint sealant (and ditto for the Meguiar's ultimate polish ) .

Based on repeated firsthand experience...we'd agree. It's one of the easiest to apply and gets some of the best results. They claim it lasts up to 6 months...but I never make it that long without doing another full detail (therapeutic grin).

Recently tried (for the first time) the Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant & Quick Detailer on top of it...and the shine is stunning...now have 2 layers of protection (including UV) as well.

The owner at the nearby hand car wash says my SUV is "at the top of all the vehicles he sees come in for a wash". He's asked me what products I use...and now he's using it too.
Posted By: JC1

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 01:51 PM

Thanks. I'll have to pick some up next visit to the US.
Posted By: sasilverbullet

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 01:56 PM

I've been a staunch Meguiars fan for many years but just recently applied this to both my Hondas - Chemical Guys Polymer Sealant

The reviews say it should last 7 months, I'll post after 6 months and tell you how it lasted. It was very easy to put on/take off and the luster was exceptional.
Posted By: Warstud

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 03:15 PM

No thanks....I'll stick with NuFinish since it's cheaper and lasts longer.
Posted By: cheesepuffs

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Warstud

If you've found a product that you like then that's wonderful, but NuFinish is a very outdated product as this point, and the modern synthetic waxes (sealants) are top notch in terms of gloss and durability while also being easier to remove than ever before.
Posted By: grampi

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 03:50 PM

It doesn't last that long...
Posted By: Malo83

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: grampi

Long enough till the next application cheers

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 04:52 PM

Classic case of "you get what you pay for" - cheap indeed. Yuck. That over-hyped gooey gunk isn't even close to Meguiar's in ease of application, easy of wipe-off, quality sealing, and avoidance of any residue.

Pro detailers have known Megiuars products do a fantastic job for years, but almost no pro detailer with a conscience would ever even consider using that orange bottle goop. Not even in the same league as Meguiar's.

Posted By: hummdrumm

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 05:17 PM

Ultimate liquid streaked when I used it. Ultimate paste didn't but would stain trim if not wiped off before long. This observation was several years ago. The paste was a real pleasure in my opinion.
Posted By: Lolvoguy

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 06:00 PM

Mothers/Meguiar's both offer similar protection and quality when used as a complete process.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: hummdrumm
Ultimate liquid streaked when I used it. Ultimate paste didn't but would stain trim if not wiped off before long.

Yea... that stuff is complete [censored]....just get some NF and be done with it. Your just paying for fancy packaging.
Posted By: rooflessVW

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 06:13 PM

Can't beat Meguiar's Ultimate!
Posted By: 007

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 06:29 PM

FK1000. Same work, less money, made by Meguiars brother and longer lasting protection for cars stored outside.
Posted By: BobFout

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 07:15 PM

I've been using Mequiar's Ultimate quick wax, Lucas quick mist and Driven race wax.
Posted By: JHZR2

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 07:29 PM

Ive never noted any basis that any of these products last that long out in the elements. And Im not in that extreme of a climate.

At least by the beading tests, unless a vehicle is stored inside like 99.9% of its life, any of these products seem to last 1-2 months, max.

HydrO2 and related products seem to fare the best IME.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 07:44 PM

*Does it stain trim ?
Originally Posted By: 007

FK1000. Same work, less money, made by Meguiars brother and longer lasting protection for cars stored outside.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 07:48 PM

Meguiar's Ultimate Sealant may be the best "off the shelf" sealant that is easy to apply , easy to remove , doesn't stain trim and can last 3 ~ 4+ months ... *What are similar liquid sealants similar if not better that you buy on - line ?
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 07:55 PM

Used by Professionals

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/17/18 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Can't beat Meguiar's Ultimate!

Bingo. Nice!!

Used in at least 40 times over the past 3-4 years on various cars...got that same quality result.

Anyone who claims it streaks clearly must have been working really hard to mis-use it...because I've even seen it applied in the full sun without streaking.
Posted By: SirTanon

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/18/18 05:19 PM

While I don't consider Megs Ultimate the best wax/sealant out there, I DO consider it one of the best, if not the best, off-the-shelf wax/sealant product. It's hard to beat in terms of application and performance compared to anything else you can find at Wal-Mart, etc.. I will definitely agree with you there. I'm also someone who believes that anyone even a little serious about maintaining their own vehicle's appearance would be well served to keep some kind of Megs products on hand. I know I do..

Having said that, I still feel there is plenty of room in any detailer's stable for other high quality wax/sealant products.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/18/18 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Having said that, I still feel there is plenty of room in any detailer's stable for other high quality wax/sealant products.

Agree. I've used more than 15 such products...but like Meguiar's the best to date. Like you said...there are some other good ones too, and options are a good thing.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/18/18 07:27 PM

I actually like Griot's Poly Wax the best!

But I like Meguiar's price better.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/18/18 08:12 PM

Griots makes excellent products. I live about ten miles from their flagship store.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/18/18 09:17 PM

Well said.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/18/18 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Griots makes excellent products. I live about ten miles from their flagship store.

Must be nice! I'd be a poor man.
Posted By: mjoekingz28

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/18/18 09:52 PM

While I do not use Meguiar's myself- I know a fellow recreational detailer and plan on getting this paste wax for him at holiday time.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/18/18 10:07 PM

Must be nice! I'd be a poor man.

They took over a old Coca Cola bottling plant, painted it white with red trim and remodeled the inside for display and store. Their manufacturing is in another section. They regularly have classes and demos and classic cars in the showroom that were detailed with their products. It’s a nice break from the big box stores.

Yes, some of their stuff is pricey especially some of their tools and gadgets.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/18/18 10:39 PM

[Yes, some of their stuff is pricey especially some of their tools and gadgets.

Very cool that you can see their operation!

The only downside I hear/read about their products is the 20-25% premium you pay above other comparable product offerings.
Posted By: DAC17

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/19/18 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Ive never noted any basis that any of these products last that long out in the elements. And Im not in that extreme of a climate.

At least by the beading tests, unless a vehicle is stored inside like 99.9% of its life, any of these products seem to last 1-2 months, max.

I agree 100% with these comments. Although Meguiar's products leave a great initial finish, I find that they don't last more than a few weeks on cars stored outside.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/19/18 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By: DAC17
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I agree 100% with these comments. Although Meguiar's products leave a great initial finish, I find that they don't last more than a few weeks on cars stored outside.

I guess I'll have to ask my brother if he'll send me some pix of his Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid treated 2015 SUV to show how inaccurate that last statement is - his is only parked outside - virtually 99% of the time.

Since he bought it, he has properly done the 5 steps in detailing (wash, clay, polish, glaze, seal with Meguiar's) twice per year - Spring and Fall - along with an occasional quick spray touch-up detail after washing (about every 3 weeks apart in the winter). Meguiar's states Ultimate Liquid should last up to 6 months, and in his case it has for years now. His SUV still looks like new, despite sitting out in snow 4 months of the year.
Posted By: novadude

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/19/18 06:08 PM

As much as I'd like try it, I've decided I'm going to stop strating from Duragloss 105/601.

For looks, longevity, and price DG 105 really can't be beat. Everyone I try something else, I keep coming back.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/20/18 08:16 PM

Loving the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid results on the 2018 Pearl White Hyundai SUV...the daughter's Black 2017 Hyundai SUV with Meguiar's looks pretty nice too.

Smooth, clean, and shiny...just the way we like them.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/21/18 12:46 PM

After nothing but a wash...Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid still shows off the shine and protection...even the glass...

During a recent heavy rain...saw the water just run off and hardly needed to use the wipers.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 12:18 AM

X2 Doesn't last long on vehicles stored outside especially in FL.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

NOT

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 12:53 AM

NOT

Did you click on the link that was posted for Duragloss sealants? A professional detailer on here uses their products with very good results.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...501#Post3118894
Posted By: FastEddie

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 01:20 AM

NOT

Did you click on the link that was posted for Duragloss sealants? A professional detailer on here uses their products with very good results.

Yup, Duragloss works great for me and plenty of other detailers that make their living detailing cars. Working smart when you do this full time.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 02:39 AM

I couldn’t help but drool looking at that old Chevy. Great color.
Posted By: Chris B.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 05:57 AM

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs

If you've found a product that you like then that's wonderful, but NuFinish is a very outdated product as this point, and the modern synthetic waxes (sealants) are top notch in terms of gloss and durability while also being easier to remove than ever before.

If it is so out-dated then why does it out last nearly all other products on the market?

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 05:58 AM

Still posting false [censored] I see...LMFAO!

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 06:01 AM

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 11:38 AM

Thanks for sharing the classic Chevy pic! That's one of my all-time favorite cars.

While most folks know that photos rarely do justice to the real vehicle look, the DuraGloss product photo appears equal to what I get from Meguiar's ...and seemingly mine is accomplish with less time and effort. But using a pro detailer eliminates that difference (for a cost of course).

The incredible ease/speed of application, smooth surface, and solid shine/protection from the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid polymer product also features durable and longer-lasting paint protection - separating it from other "just make it shiny" wax products. While it's low on my priority list...the cost of Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid is also very price-competitive and less than many of the "exotic product" waxes.

One note: Regardless of whatever product anyone uses...preparing the paint prior to applying a sealant or other wax product is critical. The important wash-clay bar-polish and/or glaze process BEFORE any sealant/wax is applied is what gets the professional car-show results. That's a 2-3 hour, 2-3 times/year process. Most folks don't want to spend the time to do things the right way, so they just slap on various wax products, so they just slap on some kind of wax product and think they're done.

At a nearby local recent car show...I talked to 9 of the 35+ owners of expensive/exotic cars (averaging $575K)...and while several of them use pro detailers...2 said they like self-detailing and use Meguiar's on their cars to get their great car show finish on them (one said "don't tell anyone I get my Ferrari detailed by Target"). Another owner used a Mother's carnauba wax product, followed by a spray shine wax on top.

Several of the owners said "the secret to a perfect car show look" is that no matter what wax/sealant product is used...a final spray shine wax on top removes surface fingerprints, dust, and other things that detract from the final "pop" shine. I've used either Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer or else Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant and Quick Detailer on top of the Ultimate Liquid - depending on what I have available at the time. BOTH PRODUCTS feature UV protection.

I literally have people stop me in parking lots and other places to ask "how the heck did you get your SUV to look so bright and shiny?" - including the owner of a nearby hand wash who says he hasn't seen any vehicle with a better exterior finish - he now uses it himself.

Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid is also on my wife's 2013 Honda Accord...bringing it a quality protection level and look as well. As the original poster said...it's really hard to beat the results.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 02:04 PM

Love detailing classic cars and it's about all I do now, and duragloss is cheap, very easy to use, and lasts a long, long time.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: FastEddie

Love detailing classic cars and it's about all I do now, and duragloss is cheap, very easy to use, and lasts a long, long time.

Showing off such a fine car is nice, no matter what product is used on it. It deserves to be well-kept. The 40's - 70's cars often included many of the true design and style classics of all time.

Today, telling apart many of the cars, SUV's, and trucks by style alone gets to be quite the challenge...Audi even made a parody commercial talking about "being inconspicuous".

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/22/18 06:44 PM

Here is a newer car done by FastEddie after a wash, clay and DG #601. Nice to see photobucket restoring their pictures for now.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/23/18 01:25 AM

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/23/18 01:38 AM

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/23/18 01:50 PM

NICE!!!

I can only imagine how nicer that Black Seagull could look with a fresh Meguiar's detail job on it. grin

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/23/18 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
I can only imagine how nicer that Black Seagull could look with a fresh Meguiar's detail job on it. grin

3M bought Megs 10 years ago.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/23/18 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Unless you have scientific proof NF lasts longer than most of the others, then you're just posting blather...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/23/18 03:04 PM

I tend to agree with the OP that finding a better "off the shelf" product would be tough. However, there are better products that can be purchased online such as Collonite, Duragloss, Zaino, and Klasse, just to name a few. I guess I don't understand the distinction between off the shelf products and those purchased online. It's like some people have a phobia about purchasing car care products online. What difference does it make where you can or can't purchase it? That doesn't even factor into my decision of what products I buy...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/23/18 04:16 PM

I tend to agree with the OP that finding a better "off the shelf" product would be tough. However, there are better products that can be purchased online such as Collonite, Duragloss, Zaino, and Klasse, just to name a few. I guess I don't understand the distinction between off the shelf products and those purchased online. It's like some people have a phobia about purchasing car care products online. What difference does it make where you can or can't purchase it? That doesn't even factor into my decision of what products I buy...

1) Agree. Many of the nice folks posting here on this site have literally tried numerous products - and plenty of them have found Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid the best...based upon the criteria of visual results, ease of application, lack of negative effects like leftover dust or residue problems on trim, and protection
durability. Availability and cost of various products may or may not play a role. Those criteria will vary, depending on who you speak with. In many cases today...people who post on special topic websites don't really represent the mainstream market...we represent enthusiasts and folks with individual passions for detailing. That's not to say the information is all right or all wrong. There are probably some valid reasons why a company started in 1901 still retains about a 24% market share for care car products, even after Barry Meguiar sold the company to 3M about 10 years ago.

2) While I'm sure there could be "better" products, I have yet to see any definitive evidence other than opinion, anecdotal tales, 2nd or 3rd hand testimony, or purely subjective observations. Even various online "comparisons" feature those same "better" criteria. It comes down to perception and observation more than anything else. Personal experience-based recommendations from people you trust tends to be the most accepted means to evaluate all sorts of things. With detailing product technology always advancing..today's "best" can quickly become "tomorrow's also-ran".

3) I suspect that the real "issues" with buying off the shelf or online products are: a) if you run out during a vehicle detailing task, you're out of luck with the online products; b) there is a general apprehension by many people of buying sight-unseen or untried products online, although the residence is shrinking in recent times; and c) when someone expands their choice to online...there is a vast universe of options, actually making a buying decision all the more of a challenge. Plenty of folks buy detailing products based on other factors, and don't even bother to consider online information.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/23/18 05:33 PM

Brands like Meguiar’s, Mothers, Turtle Wax etc are and have been the mainstays of car care in the US for generations. Every region has their own favorite brand as well. The internet has opened our eyes to other brands out there. Plus, new brands or older local regional brands are going nationwide or global. Chemical Guys is one such brand.

The markets vary in certain aspects. A owner of a high end German or Japanese car will pass over Turtle Wax in favor of Polish Angel or Kamikaze. Some of these brands have a almost cult like following. That said, the results from using these products are amazing.

In the end, budget and accessibility plus prior experience will be the primary reasons for purchasing. Nobody wants to buy a bottle of sealant and get stuck with it after being disappointed.

Besides the big names mentioned above, if you want to try something new, check out the Autogeek/Autopia forums. A lot of good info there as well as real world experiences with products by all sorts of users from weekend warriors to pro detailers.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/23/18 07:29 PM

NICE!!!

That would be a downgrade from how it looks now. cool

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/23/18 08:17 PM

LOL...right...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/23/18 11:57 PM

Those in the know.... LOL

Posted By: hummdrumm

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 12:12 AM

Hi Fast Eddie,
The gull wing is fine indeed. I don't know much about Durogloss. Do you use wax over their bonding agent?

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 12:34 AM

Out of curiosity - do you chose Duragloss for these types of cars - as included in the price of your service?

Do you offer other, higher-end products if the customer should want something else, such as Blackfire Wet Diamond, Wolfgang Fusion, etc...?

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 03:11 AM

Just some pics for the classic car fans, these cars are worth way over a million dollars each, thus they aren't driven much, get prepped very well (the most important part) and waxed with Swissvax, Wolfgang, Dodo, Pinnacle or other Concourse waxes for cars like these. But again, all the work is in the prep.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 03:12 AM

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 03:32 AM

See, I somehow knew you weren't laying Duragloss on them. wink

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 07:25 AM

Unless you have scientific proof NF lasts longer than most of the others, then you're just posting blather...

The same goes for the blather out of your mouth as well....prove YOUR ridiculous claims. I disappear and venture into other topics and wander back hear. The 1st thread I click on, and hear you are still spreading misinformation...LMFAO!!!

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 11:07 AM

The fact of the matter in the end is that almost nothing beats a 100% quality Brazilian carnauba wax to show off a great car-show shine. That's nothing revolutionary or new.

For that reason, those expensive carnauba's are used most often for car shows, which helps to keep many detailers in business (along with folks who don't mind spending $200-$400 about every other month to sustain the carnauba visual effects. Unfortunately...carnauba doesn't last very long, nor does it provide ideal protection against some of the newer environmental surface pollutants.

The "my shine beats your shine" or "look at how water beads up" subjective views don't really prove the actual protection of a car's finish. The illustrate the visual appearance for the most part and some of the coating results, but not the chemistry/physics behind auto surface protection.

Those are exactly the reasons why products (and there are many of them) like Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid were created - to overcome the limitations of plain carnauba wax.

As many have stated...it's much easier & quicker to apply, protects paint & clear-coat surfaces very well against harmful pollutants, lasts much longer between applications...all while being very cost-effective.

For the 98% of the public that wants to sustain a nice appearance with strong protection of a vehicle's exterior at a reasonable cost and without spending countless hours doing it...I have yet to see any product or actual evidence that other products achieve these requirements any better than Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid.

Fact is you don't sustain market share for decades in an industry with such numerous products offered, unless you have proven products that consumers want & prefer.

For the other 2% of folks obsessed with their vehicle's appearance (and for expensive and classic car owners, as well as a few of us that simply enjoy the detailing experience) - paying a detailer to do the work and/or using alternative products that make folks happy is likely the way to go.

I'm in that last 2%, as are many of the folks who have posted in this and other threads on detailing - I actually enjoy doing detailing tasks on our vehicles, and welcome the nice appearance that comes from it. Every vehicle we have owned has been sustained with good car care. I don't mind spending a couple hours doing things the right way as well. I also leverage using proven products and processes (DA polisher, polisher pads, quality car wash products, professional clay bar, polishing products, glaze products, "sealant waxes", detailing spray waxes, etc.). I also know I am not alone with that enjoyment and passion.

Congrats to those who take the time, make the effort, and follow their passions in detailing - the various pix show off your hard work and the great results.

If someone ever finds something that beat's Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid for that portion/step of detailing...and can prove it...I'll be the first to buy it.

Until then...the contrarian noise will probably just continue.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 12:06 PM

[quote=PimTac]In the end, budget and accessibility plus prior experience will be the primary reasons for purchasing. Nobody wants to buy a bottle of sealant and get stuck with it after being disappointed.

[/quote

There's always a first time trying a new product no matter where it's sold, or what name is on the bottle. I bought many brand name products in the brick and mortar stores that I didn't like, though I haven't had many I didn't like of the ones bought online. I just try doing some research before I buy and that usually helps...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 12:11 PM

The same goes for the blather out of your mouth as well....prove YOUR ridiculous claims. I disappear and venture into other topics and wander back hear. The 1st thread I click on, and hear you are still spreading misinformation...LMFAO!!!

That's the difference between you and I. I've never claimed to prove anything, while you have. The burden of proof is on you. I've merely said I've used the products mentioned in this thread and that I get better results with other product besides NF. You claim it can't be, then post a bunch of pictures and call it proof. Sorry that's not proof of anything...
Posted By: RTexasF

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 02:30 PM

NOT

Yup, Duragloss works great for me and plenty of other detailers that make their living detailing cars. Working smart when you do this full time.

I concur. It made a good living for me when I detailed for income. Those that deny it simply have no knowledge of the products or the professionals that use them. #501 & #105 were my mainstays.

I also agree that Meg's Ultimate Liquid is a very good product. As mentioned, it can be purchased practically anywhere which is an advantage over paying shipping. They all have their place even NuFinish.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 04:03 PM

The same two instigators are gonna get this thread locked too.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 04:30 PM

That's the difference between you and I. I've never claimed to prove anything, while you have. The burden of proof is on you. I've merely said I've used the products mentioned in this thread and that I get better results with other product besides NF. You claim it can't be, then post a bunch of pictures and call it proof. Sorry that's not proof of anything...

You have made claims and every single time someone posts they like NF you are on them saying it is junk and does not last when many have shown otherwise. A majority finds it to last as advertised or close to it. Those pictures were taken over a years time and show the product is still working. Still waiting for you to post even one single picture of your work regardless of what you used on it. Detailers kind of like to show their work...you know, kind of like in this thread.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 04:33 PM

I'm sorry man! I stop for long periods of time to avoid this stuff. Grampi just keeps on with his misinformation. I'm going to call him on it like I have for years. I stop when he stops. I already made peace with him and we agreed to bury the hatchet and 2 or 3 years later he is still posting his junk.
Posted By: Trav

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 04:49 PM

The fact of the matter in the end is that almost nothing beats a 100% quality Brazilian carnauba wax to show off a great car-show shine. That's nothing revolutionary or new.

For that reason, those expensive carnauba's are used most often for car shows, which helps to keep many detailers in business (along with folks who don't mind spending $200-$400 about every other month to sustain the carnauba visual effects. Unfortunately...carnauba doesn't last very long, nor does it provide ideal protection against some of the newer environmental surface pollutants.

The "my shine beats your shine" or "look at how water beads up" subjective views don't really prove the actual protection of a car's finish. The illustrate the visual appearance for the most part and some of the coating results, but not the chemistry/physics behind auto surface protection.

Those are exactly the reasons why products (and there are many of them) like Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid were created - to overcome the limitations of plain carnauba wax.

As many have stated...it's much easier & quicker to apply, protects paint & clear-coat surfaces very well against harmful pollutants, lasts much longer between applications...all while being very cost-effective.

For the 98% of the public that wants to sustain a nice appearance with strong protection of a vehicle's exterior at a reasonable cost and without spending countless hours doing it...I have yet to see any product or actual evidence that other products achieve these requirements any better than Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid.

Fact is you don't sustain market share for decades in an industry with such numerous products offered, unless you have proven products that consumers want & prefer.

For the other 2% of folks obsessed with their vehicle's appearance (and for expensive and classic car owners, as well as a few of us that simply enjoy the detailing experience) - paying a detailer to do the work and/or using alternative products that make folks happy is likely the way to go.

I'm in that last 2%, as are many of the folks who have posted in this and other threads on detailing - I actually enjoy doing detailing tasks on our vehicles, and welcome the nice appearance that comes from it. Every vehicle we have owned has been sustained with good car care. I don't mind spending a couple hours doing things the right way as well. I also leverage using proven products and processes (DA polisher, polisher pads, quality car wash products, professional clay bar, polishing products, glaze products, "sealant waxes", detailing spray waxes, etc.). I also know I am not alone with that enjoyment and passion.

Congrats to those who take the time, make the effort, and follow their passions in detailing - the various pix show off your hard work and the great results.

If someone ever finds something that beat's Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid for that portion/step of detailing...and can prove it...I'll be the first to buy it.

Until then...the contrarian noise will probably just continue.

That's just your option. You want people to prove something is better than the Meguiar', why don't you prove it is better than S100 and P21S and show us you are not just some fan boy blowing smoke up our backsides.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 05:08 PM

Sounds like that's a goal for those two...
Originally Posted By: Trav
That's just your option. You want people to prove something is better than the Meguiar', why don't you prove it is better than S100 and P21S and show us you are not just some fan boy blowing smoke up our backsides.

S100 and P215 are actually pretty good products...harder to use apply than Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid...and don't last as long...but pretty good products.

People keep bringing up different products using different ways to compare. The Meguiar's conversation and comparison criteria have been consistent.

The naysayers are comparing apples to oranges...and having used more than 15 products (including those you named) for comparison...it's already proven here. There are also countless comparisons online showing it, as well as numerous ratings agreeing...plenty of people get it...but a few don't...but that's OK.

No one has disproved the original poster's statements, and people will believe what they want.
Posted By: TheLawnRanger

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 06:01 PM

I've noticed that no matter what wax you use, it seems to help if your detailing a classic sports car instead of the old daily driver.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
I've noticed that no matter what wax you use, it seems to help if your detailing a classic sports car instead of the old daily driver.

Not to mention a brand new vehicle that's getting properly detailed right at the beginning of ownership.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 08:11 PM

See, I somehow knew you weren't laying Duragloss on them. wink

Yeah, these cars deserve the good stuff, but many "regular" cars and daily drivers often will get duragloss at my shop.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 08:15 PM

I know what you mean. It's why my Q7 gets Griot's Poly Wax instead of Pinnacle Souveran - it would be a waste to use the Pinnacle on a car that sits outside for most of it's life. It's also white so it doesn't matter much what it gets waxed with from a visual standpoint. Might be a good candidate for NuFinish, eh? wink

Maybe when I pick up a Turbo or 993 I'll have another garage queen that's worthy of Pinnacle.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 08:52 PM

I know what you mean. It's why my Q7 gets Griot's Poly Wax instead of Pinnacle Souveran - it would be a waste to use the Pinnacle on a car that sits outside for most of it's life. It's also white so it doesn't matter much what it gets waxed with from a visual standpoint. Might be a good candidate for NuFinish, eh? wink

Maybe when I pick up a Turbo or 993 I'll have another garage queen that's worthy of Pinnacle.

Yeah...that's indeed some top end stuff - they're targeting car show vehicles only. I did see a 2005 Ferarri just 2 weeks ago at a local car show where the owner told me he had it detailed using this product - it's impressive stuff. The owner said he paid "his guy" $550 to have it professional detailed - he gets it done 3 times per year (he said). Let's see...at 4-5 details per year (based on how long Pinnacle Souveran lasts)...that's uh...$$$...guess if you own a classic Ferrari...

Pinnacle Souveran Key Features:
Butter-like consistency applies easily
Incredible depth and mirror-like shine
Can be layered
Haze and streak resistant
No chalky haze, wipes off wet
Lasts 2-3 months

Of course for $11.85 per ounce...it better be worth it!

Maybe I'll buy a $95.00 8oz. jar and use it on the wife's 2013 Honda Accord...just to tick some people here off. grin grin grin

Then again...I'd hate to screw up that beautiful Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid finish already on there...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/24/18 10:42 PM

That Griots Poly Wax is some seriously good stuff. Threw some on this Honda and looks great, and was surprised just how long it lasted.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/25/18 11:54 AM

I'm sorry man! I stop for long periods of time to avoid this stuff. Grampi just keeps on with his misinformation. I'm going to call him on it like I have for years. I stop when he stops. I already made peace with him and we agreed to bury the hatchet and 2 or 3 years later he is still posting his junk.

That's another thing I don't do, but you do...take it personal...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 09:43 AM

I dont take it personal. Like I said, I will speak up when I see false information and myths being posted. You keep spreading false information about NuFinish. You tell people your opinion as if they are facts and you mislead people. You insist NF does not last at all and that is false. Myself and many others on her have found it to be very long lasting. Like Warstud stated in this thread that he liked it and it lasts for him and you come in and say, and I quote "It doesn't last that long" after he found it to and stated it does. Why can't you just say "great, I'm glad it works well for you. I did not like it though"? You jump in and bash NF every time it is mentioned on this forum. Like I mentioned before, if you would state it like "I do not care for it and had bad luck with it" I would not bat an eye and could care less. But the way you jump on ever single person who states they like NF or that is lasts, with one of your standard "it can't be because NF is junk and DOES NOT LAST for more then 10 minutes" comments gets old. When you stop insisting to everyone "it doesn't last that long", I'll stop getting on your case. Now before you go and say "well you do the same thing and say NF is the best", I only do so to counter you when I see it. I'm not in EVERY SINGLE thread or comment trying to trash a product like you are. You are the one who can't give it a rest. STOP insisting to everyone it is junk and has no durability and let people decide for them selves. Many people have already decided it is good stuff and you still insist to them it is not just like Warstud. People come here to learn and you are not helping them by doing the above.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 01:06 PM

Sounds like that's a goal for those two...

S100 and P215 are actually pretty good products...harder to use apply than Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid...and don't last as long...but pretty good products.

People keep bringing up different products using different ways to compare. The Meguiar's conversation and comparison criteria have been consistent.

The naysayers are comparing apples to oranges...and having used more than 15 products (including those you named) for comparison...it's already proven here. There are also countless comparisons online showing it, as well as numerous ratings agreeing...plenty of people get it...but a few don't...but that's OK.

No one has disproved the original poster's statements
, and people will believe what they want.

His statement has no proof behind it either its his opinion, end of story. I have tried Meguiar's products over the years and for the most part am not very impressed with them, their compounds are either way too aggressive or almost useless with a seemingly number of endless steps in between they are 100% consumer grade products, their waxes are little better than mediocre at best, the old Gold class paste was good.
I don't use liquid waxes but if I were to use one on a older DD it would be NF, its cheap, cleans well on tired paint and it last.

No it doesn't fir the criteria of the self proclaimed detailing experts who insist on fancy name boutique stuff most of which is useless short lived products anyway but it cost a lot and has names that are very arts and croissant crowd pleasing but NF works fine despite its Walmrt price.

hide

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 01:49 PM

I don't use liquid waxes but if I were to use one on a older DD it would be NF, its cheap, cleans well on tired paint and it last.

No it doesn't fir the criteria of the self proclaimed detailing experts who insist on fancy name boutique stuff most of which is useless short lived products anyway but it cost a lot and has names that are very arts and croissant crowd pleasing but NF works fine despite its Walmrt price.

What a bizarre comparison - NuFinish to Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid (which you admitted you've never actually used, despite the Meguiar's Liquid product being the subject of this thread).

Kinda like comparing Kmart tires to Pirelli tires. They're both round and work on a car...but that's nearly all they have in common.

It's somewhat surprising how little some folks know about the chemistry of car wax & sealant products, but will not hesitate to slap on any old cheap stuff on their vehicle if it seems to make it shiny. Much has changed since the 1950's and their lacquer and enamel paints, especially with the introduction of clear-coat - polymers now provide the best and most lasting protection to vehicle exteriors. Some folks put waxes on top, even though their shiny appearance improvements are short-lived/temporary.

Oh well...enjoy.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 02:57 PM

I dont take it personal. Like I said, I will speak up when I see false information and myths being posted. You keep spreading false information about NuFinish. You tell people your opinion as if they are facts and you mislead people. You insist NF does not last at all and that is false. Myself and many others on her have found it to be very long lasting. Like Warstud stated in this thread that he liked it and it lasts for him and you come in and say, and I quote "It doesn't last that long" after he found it to and stated it does. Why can't you just say "great, I'm glad it works well for you. I did not like it though"? You jump in and bash NF every time it is mentioned on this forum. Like I mentioned before, if you would state it like "I do not care for it and had bad luck with it" I would not bat an eye and could care less. But the way you jump on ever single person who states they like NF or that is lasts, with one of your standard "it can't be because NF is junk and DOES NOT LAST for more then 10 minutes" comments gets old. When you stop insisting to everyone "it doesn't last that long", I'll stop getting on your case. Now before you go and say "well you do the same thing and say NF is the best", I only do so to counter you when I see it. I'm not in EVERY SINGLE thread or comment trying to trash a product like you are. You are the one who can't give it a rest. STOP insisting to everyone it is junk and has no durability and let people decide for them selves. Many people have already decided it is good stuff and you still insist to them it is not just like Warstud. People come here to learn and you are not helping them by doing the above.

As always you exaggerate everything to make a point. I'm not posting misinformation, I'm posting my results. My results were that NF doesn't last even close to the length of time as claimed on the bottle, or by many of those who use it. My claim is there are many other products that will outlast it. My claims are there are many other products that are easier to use, and don't leave white residue or stain trim. My claims have been backed up by many other people in this forum, yet you accuse me of making outrageous claims. You are a walking, talking billboard advertising for NF. That's great if that's your cause, but why are you so bitter towards people who haven't had the same experience with the product as you have? I don't like it, if you and others do, great, but I'm not going to keep my mouth shut about it just because telling my view of the product annoys you. That's not misinformation, it just happens to be a different take on the product than you have. If you can't deal with that, then that's your problem...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 05:50 PM

What a bizarre comparison - NuFinish to Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid (which you admitted you've never actually used, despite the Meguiar's Liquid product being the subject of this thread).

Kinda like comparing Kmart tires to Pirelli tires. They're both round and work on a car...but that's nearly all they have in common.

It's somewhat surprising how little some folks know about the chemistry of car wax & sealant products, but will not hesitate to slap on any old cheap stuff on their vehicle if it seems to make it shiny. Much has changed since the 1950's and their lacquer and enamel paints, especially with the introduction of clear-coat - polymers now provide the best and most lasting protection to vehicle exteriors. Some folks put waxes on top, even though their shiny appearance improvements are short-lived/temporary.

Oh well...enjoy.

Stop peddling the over priced stuff man, its no better despite all the hype and price. To me the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid isn't very good at all. I would say it doesn't come close to NF, now that's bizarre.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 06:42 PM

Oh well...enjoy.

You do realize Trav is probably the most knowledgeable person on this forum, right? He has more paint and body work experience and mechanical experience then everyone combined. I was recommending NF before BITOG existed but when I saw people like Trav were saying the same thing I realized I was using good products and giving good advice on the forum.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 06:49 PM

Oh well...enjoy.

Stop peddling the over priced stuff man, its no better despite all the hype and price. To me the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid isn't very good at all. I would say it doesn't come close to NF, now that's bizarre.

EXACTLY! You know he will make some excuse explaining how the Megs is actually showing the better performance. I have used so many different waxes/sealants I can't count them! Nearly all of them fail to bead like NF or have the same level of durability of NF. Some do like Duragloss but most fail. I defend it because I get sick of these detail snobs who never even try it talk [censored]. How many times have I(and others) asked to put up or shut up and show their own testing? They never deliver and just keep posting garbage.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 06:55 PM

You do realize Trav is probably the most knowledgeable person on this forum, right? He has more paint and body work experience and mechanical experience then everyone combined. I was recommending NF before BITOG existed but when I saw people like Trav were saying the same thing I realized I was using good products and giving good advice on the forum.

That's somewhat scary. Then I suspect he would know "better than anyone" that automotive paint, exterior coatings, and car protection products (and their chemistry) have changed considerably since Nu Finish came out about 40 years ago. One of my 20+ year friends owns a car rental office, a car detailing company (mobile), and a collision repair company - he'd tell you to avoid using NuFinish altogether (and has told many people). Guess the experts even disagree sometimes.

FAKE NEWS ALERT! (aka snake-oil peddlers of NuFinish water-beading silliness) continue to go out of their way to promote their nonsense in yet another topic thread.

Luckily...many of us that have actually used these products clearly understand the differences and Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid's superior results (without all the problems from NF) know better. The fact that Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid - you know...the topic of this thread - costs less than $1 per entire-vehicle application underscores the illegitimacy of the "overpriced" post claim. Fact is the price difference per application between the two products amounts to about 30-35 cents - at least some of us consider our vehicles worth that whopping "overpriced" difference.

Furthermore, the fact that Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid rated (by scores of actual user surveys) and numerous respected auto detailing product reviewers as the top, or one of the top 2-3 products - and does NOT have the NF well-documented problems with excess application dust, difficulty in product application/removal, and excessive problems on dark trim.

Hopefully any newbies looking to learn about legitimately maintaining the exterior of their vehicles don't get grossly misled by the NF propaganda from the same few people over and over and over. That kind of nonsense grossly undermines all the useful information from informed posters here, as well as the great value of this website regarding a variety of topics.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:00 PM

I wouldn't use on new paint as it is slightly abrasive and you do have to be careful around black trim but that being said for a daily driver that lives outside NF is great stuff. It does survive the harsh NE winters and pretty well too.
Sometimes the cheapest product work better than over priced target market products. JMO

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:06 PM

As always you exaggerate everything to make a point. I'm not posting misinformation, I'm posting my results. My results were that NF doesn't last even close to the length of time as claimed on the bottle, or by many of those who use it. My claim is there are many other products that will outlast it. My claims are there are many other products that are easier to use, and don't leave white residue or stain trim. My claims have been backed up by many other people in this forum, yet you accuse me of making outrageous claims. You are a walking, talking billboard advertising for NF. That's great if that's your cause, but why are you so bitter towards people who haven't had the same experience with the product as you have? I don't like it, if you and others do, great, but I'm not going to keep my mouth shut about it just because telling my view of the product annoys you. That's not misinformation, it just happens to be a different take on the product than you have. If you can't deal with that, then that's your problem...

You didn't even read what I said or you are to dense to understand. We are not talking about how easy or hard it is to use or how it leaves white powder all over or how it can stain black trim. We are talking about DURABILITY and how long it lasts. You are not stating your findings, you insist to EVERYONE posts they like NF that is will not and does not last. It is the equivalent of trying to insist the bottle is blue and not orange. NF user: "hey NF lasts a full 9-12 months for me in FL and the bottle is orange". Grampi: "that is impossible because it does not last and the bottle is blue...you are wrong". Those type of statements are what I have a problem with. You post like this all the time that is why I'm right behind you clearing the air for members who may not know better.
Post your opinion all you want and you wont hear from me again but keep making false statements like you always do and insist NF users are wrong, mislead members I'll be right back at it when I see your garbage. One thing I will not stand for is the continuation of "myths" and bad information. Car forums are pretty bad and gun forums are even worse! LMFAO!

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:14 PM

FAKE NEWS ALERT! (aka snake-oil peddlers of NuFinish water-beading silliness) continue to go out of their way to promote their nonsense in yet another topic thread.

Luckily...many of us that have actually used these products clearly understand the differences and Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid's superior results (without all the problems from NF) know better. The fact that Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid - you know...the topic of this thread - costs less than $1 per entire-vehicle application underscores the illegitimacy of the "overpriced" post claim. Fact is the price difference per application between the two products amounts to about 30-35 cents - at least some of us consider our vehicles worth that whopping "overpriced" difference.

Furthermore, the fact that Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid rated (by scores of actual user surveys) and numerous respected auto detailing product reviewers as the top, or one of the top 2-3 products - and does NOT have the NF well-documented problems with excess application dust, difficulty in product application/removal, and excessive problems on dark trim.

Hopefully any newbies looking to learn about legitimately maintaining the exterior of their vehicles [b]don't get grossly misled by the NF propaganda[/b] from the same few people over and over and over. That kind of nonsense grossly undermines all the useful information from informed posters here, as well as the great value of this website regarding a variety of topics.

Gimme a break. That stuff doesn't even sheet never mind bead. What makes your opinion any mover valid than anyone else's? Your deep understanding of car waxes or what?
NF has been around over 40 years and still selling strong so it cant be as bad as you claim.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:21 PM

That's scary. Car protection products have changed since 1947. Guess that "old dog and new tricks" thing can still apply in some cases.

Hopefully any newbies looking to learn about legitimately maintaining the exterior of their vehicles don't get grossly misled by the NF propaganda from the same few people over and over and over. That kind of nonsense grossly undermines all the useful information from informed posters here, as well as the great value of this website regarding a variety of topics.

You do realize NF has been reformulated over the years, right? It is a modern polymer sealant. You just posted above that is is not so it shows your ignorance. Your water beading/sheeting comments also show how uninformed you are. Remember when you said all paint beads really well with out wax so beading/sheeting means noting? Then I showed you pictures of numerous vehicles both new and old during a rain storm and not one single vehicle was beading water? All the vehicles has flat water except the one that was waxed and was beading great. These are my co-workers vehicles and non have been waxed except my gray Honda. The red F150 is new by the way. Remember:

So much dumb [censored] comes out of your mouth....how old are you? Have you even waxed or sealed a car? You post more dumb [censored] then anyone on here.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:33 PM

Gimme a break. That stuff doesn't even sheet never mind bead. What makes your opinion any mover valid than anyone else's? Your deep understanding of car waxes or what?
NF has been around over 40 years and still selling strong so it cant be as bad as you claim.

WOW - just WOW.

Come on over sometime - I'll gladly show you how blatantly false that statement is presenting at least 6 vehicles as proof.

This pic was taken this past Sunday (with a car phone camera no less) of the hood of my wife's 2013 Honda Accord..with just one treatment -ever - (applied more than 3 months ago) using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid. Not only does it bead extremely well...the water actually runs right off quickly.

Mike Drop.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:36 PM

I wouldn't use on new paint as it is slightly abrasive and you do have to be careful around black trim but that being said for a daily driver that lives outside NF is great stuff. It does survive the harsh NE winters and pretty well too.
Sometimes the cheapest product work better than over priced target market products. JMO

Trav,
NF is not abrasive any longer and hasent been for a long time(liquid version). This 1997 Sierra has had a coat twice a year for 20 years and the paint is close to mint. It wont harm new paint(liquid version).

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:43 PM

You didn't even read what I said or you are to dense to understand. We are not talking about how easy or hard it is to use or how it leaves white powder all over or how it can stain black trim. We are talking about DURABILITY and how long it lasts. You are not stating your findings, you insist to EVERYONE posts they like NF that is will not and does not last. It is the equivalent of trying to insist the bottle is blue and not orange. NF user: "hey NF lasts a full 9-12 months for me in FL and the bottle is orange". Grampi: "that is impossible because it does not last and the bottle is blue...you are wrong". Those type of statements are what I have a problem with. You post like this all the time that is why I'm right behind you clearing the air for members who may not know better.
Post your opinion all you want and you wont hear from me again but keep making false statements like you always do and insist NF users are wrong, mislead members I'll be right back at it when I see your garbage. One thing I will not stand for is the continuation of "myths" and bad information. Car forums are pretty bad and gun forums are even worse! LMFAO!

I will sum up my reply to you in one question; there are products that do everything better than NF, so why even bother with it at all?

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:45 PM

WOW - just WOW.

Come on over sometime - I'll gladly show you how blatantly false that statement is presenting at least 6 vehicles as proof.

This pic was taken this past Sunday (with a car phone camera no less) of the hood of my wife's 2013 Honda Accord..with just one treatment -ever - (applied more than 3 months ago) using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid. Not only does it bead extremely well...the water actually runs right off quickly.

Mike Drop.

"mike drop" LMFAO!!!
I'd say the dudes video shows a much more clear picture but you dont even acknowledge it LMFAO!. A direct comparison. I'll be doing a long term test here soon with some of the top products and will post results as time goes one.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:48 PM

[A direct comparison. I'll be doing a long term test here soon with some of the top products and will post results as time goes one.

Waiting with baited breath...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:52 PM

I will sum up my reply to you in one question; there are products that do everything better than NF, so why even bother with it at all?

YES!!! I can agree with that statement! I know there are better products and I have used them. NF is still near the top as far as durability goes and the products that do out perform it are by a small margin. some would say it is worth the upgrade and some would not. In the end it is a good product in a sea of good and bad.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:53 PM

[A direct comparison. I'll be doing a long term test here soon with some of the top products and will post results as time goes one.

Come over to my shop and we can run it together. I give you my word it will be fair and honest.
Posted By: kschachn

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 07:59 PM

“Bated breath” actually.

Watching you people argue over wax is entertaining. Makes me want to go get the can of Turtle Wax I have.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: kschachn

“Bated breath” actually.

Watching you people argue over wax is entertaining. Makes me want to go get the can of Turtle Wax I have.

Glad to entertain you! Hopefully you learn something too....it really is a waste of time LOL. I'm sure we all agree with more then we disagree and there is no doubt we all love cars!

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/26/18 09:24 PM

Tell me, better in what way? Its automotive paint, and most today are clear coated with a urethane based clear.
It is not porous in fact it primary job is to protect the delicate color coat under it. Wax, sealants, polishes, whatever you want to call them cannot permeate the surface, it cannot be fed, massaged or whatever hype words they choose to use is blatantly false.

Everything from a pure wax to silicone based and polymer based all have one thing in common, they sit on top the paint.
Some fill the naturally occurring valleys that occur when paint dries or cures from shrinking. Silicons can be a bit of a bugger because they cling tenaciously in the valleys and require a strong solvent before repaint but it does get removed.

I have never found a product of any type that protects the color pigments from UV regardless if base/clear, enamel or lacquer so in that regard all are pretty much equally useless, other than that they protect from airborne pollutants prevent particles from damaging the surface with micro scratches and may be shine a bit better but it will never shine better than new paint.

Turtle way, Simoniz, Colonite, NF, this one and that one all do about the same job some just last longer than others.
The main difference being ease of application and rem0oval and if it contains any solvents or abrasives.
I wax my summer vehicles sometimes but DD never anymore, I don't love cars I don't even like most of them and honestly have no interest whatsoever in detailing them unless its going on the block, clean yes but that's it, DD is not getting waxed, the closest thing its getting to anything is the cheap car wash wax for a buck more..

I did use NF many many years ago regularly and was always satisfied with it on DD. As I remember it NF would do a great job on slightly oxidized lacquer, the abrasives were very fine and had good solvent action on tar.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 11:58 AM

Tell me, better in what way? Its automotive paint, and most today are clear coated with a urethane based clear.
It is not porous in fact it primary job is to protect the delicate color coat under it. Wax, sealants, polishes, whatever you want to call them cannot permeate the surface, it cannot be fed, massaged or whatever hype words they choose to use is blatantly false.

Everything from a pure wax to silicone based and polymer based all have one thing in common, they sit on top the paint.
Some fill the naturally occurring valleys that occur when paint dries or cures from shrinking. Silicons can be a bit of a bugger because they cling tenaciously in the valleys and require a strong solvent before repaint but it does get removed.

I have never found a product of any type that protects the color pigments from UV regardless if base/clear, enamel or lacquer so in that regard all are pretty much equally useless, other than that they protect from airborne pollutants prevent particles from damaging the surface with micro scratches and may be shine a bit better but it will never shine better than new paint.

Turtle way, Simoniz, Colonite, NF, this one and that one all do about the same job some just last longer than others.
The main difference being ease of application and rem0oval and if it contains any solvents or abrasives.
I wax my summer vehicles sometimes but DD never anymore, I don't love cars I don't even like most of them and honestly have no interest whatsoever in detailing them unless its going on the block, clean yes but that's it, DD is not getting waxed, the closest thing its getting to anything is the cheap car wash wax for a buck more..

I did use NF many many years ago regularly and was always satisfied with it on DD. As I remember it NF would do a great job on slightly oxidized lacquer, the abrasives were very fine and had good solvent action on tar.

In every way...looks better, lasts longer, is easier to use...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 12:28 PM

LOL Sounds like you just read that of a bottle of whatever over priced product the advertisers used to convince you to part with your money.
Detailing car paint is nothing more than inflicting more damage of various degrees to the paint in order to correct damage done by car wash brushes, poor washing habit, sand and gravel damage, airborne pollutants, etc.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with NF, it bonds to the paint well, resist pollutants and fills micro scratches good enough to look decent (not as well as some paste waxes) but no liquid does any better and it does last.
If a big name company put this formula in a bottle half the size with fancy name and charged 3x the price many people would be singing its praises and opening their wallets.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 12:30 PM

Trav,
NF is not abrasive any longer and hasent been for a long time(liquid version). This 1997 Sierra has had a coat twice a year for 20 years and the paint is close to mint. It wont harm new paint(liquid version).

I would say it does a great job, the pictures say it all.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: kschachn

“Bated breath” actually.

Chose that spelling intentionally...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 12:40 PM

That SUV photo shows what appears to be a nice-looking vehicle.

However even many amateur detailers know that a photo usually doesn't tell the full story - it doesn't show the surface texture, swirl marks, pits, penetrations into the protective coating(s), or pollutant roughness you can only vet by touching the exterior surface or up-close observation or both. All those things can harm the finish if untreated. In the U.S. southern states each year...when the pollen falls in Spring and melts from the warmth of the sun..it can actually eat away at the clear-coat if left for any length of time. Real surface protection is more important than appearance, but shininess gets most of the attention, especially with inferior products like NF. The latest polymers bond deeper into an exterior's finish. Merguiar's Ultimate Liquid has those polymers, NF doesn't. Chemistry matters on this topic.

There's a reason why pro detailers have a job. They deal with performing 5 and 6-step paint restoration through a series of steps that the vast majority of car owners never perform. Only a few of us amateurs take the time and use the all the products needed and perform the steps required to deal with thoroughly washing, clay-barring, polishing, glazing, sealing, and waxing/enhancing the exterior surfaces.

Many people don't realize that NuFinish is not even a wax or a polish - a pro detailer has posted a good deal of information on this topic:

NuFInish Car Polish is Not Really a Car Polish

Sure...seeing shiny and/or water beading is very nice...but only a fraction of the paint protection reality picture (pun intended).

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 01:10 PM

Ok, so to sum it up, some folks like one brand while some like another. That's why these brands are all available at your local store or internet retail site of your choice.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 01:54 PM

The Goldman family owns Nufinish and Carol's Cookies:

http://www.bizneworleans.com/August-2015...ned-Businesses/

But recently (7 hours ago) sold Nufinish to the Energizer battery company:

http://www.missouribusinessalert.com/ind...aker-nu-finish/

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 02:09 PM

However even many amateur detailers know that a photo usually doesn't tell the full story - it doesn't show the surface texture, swirl marks, pits, penetrations into the protective coating(s), or pollutant roughness you can only vet by touching the exterior surface or up-close observation or both. All those things can harm the finish if untreated. In the U.S. southern states each year...when the pollen falls in Spring and melts from the warmth of the sun..it can actually eat away at the clear-coat if left for any length of time. Real surface protection is more important than appearance, but shininess gets most of the attention, especially with inferior products like NF. The latest polymers bond deeper into an exterior's finish. Merguiar's Ultimate Liquid has those polymers, NF doesn't. Chemistry matters on this topic.

There's a reason why pro detailers have a job. They deal with performing 5 and 6-step paint restoration through a series of steps that the vast majority of car owners never perform. Only a few of us amateurs take the time and use the all the products needed and perform the steps required to deal with thoroughly washing, clay-barring, polishing, glazing, sealing, and waxing/enhancing the exterior surfaces.

Many people don't realize that NuFinish is not even a wax or a polish - a pro detailer has posted a good deal of information on this topic:

Sure...seeing shiny and/or water beading is very nice...but only a fraction of the paint protection reality picture (pun intended).

Don't talk to me about pro detailers, I have some of these hacks ruin more jobs than I remember. There are some that are very good like any other profession but most are self taught and learn ojt.
Other than washing and waxing with a non abrasive wax anything you do to the paint is inflicting various degrees of damage, its that simple.

Look, it doesn't matter if NF is a polish, a wax or owl pee it works and it works well, it last a long time and is reasonably priced.
You are wrong, no product can bond deeper than the surface of paint without the aid of strong solvents that soften the surface, that's a fact. If any product is doing that I don't want any part of it. I do use blending solvent to blend paint but thats a controlled process and not to be played with by detailers or DIY.

There is no point to this thread anymore, fan boys will to pay more money for product what have the most advertising and will swear by them no matter if something better for less than half the price is looking right at them.
Me I like good value and good performance from what I buy.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 03:08 PM

“....However even many amateur detailers know that a photo usually doesn't tell the full story - it doesn't show the surface texture, swirl marks, pits, penetrations into the protective coating(s), or pollutant roughness....”

Well that throws all pictures posted here out, unless you offer closeups with black light.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 03:09 PM

I don't know why this became another thread about NF.

Meg's Ultimate is easy to use and gives paint a nice warm shine - as simple as that. The only thing OTC that compares is Griot's Poly Wax, and it's twice the price.

NF dusts and stains trim - I'm not going to make more work for myself to save $7.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 03:49 PM

The Goldman family owns Nufinish and Carol's Cookies:

http://www.bizneworleans.com/August-2015...ned-Businesses/

But recently [b](7 hours ago) sold Nufinish to the Energizer battery company:[/b]

http://www.missouribusinessalert.com/ind...aker-nu-finish/

I'm sure we'll soon see commercials claiming their batteries have a shine that keeps going...and going...and going... crazy

“....However even many amateur detailers know that a photo usually doesn't tell the full story - it doesn't show the surface texture, swirl marks, pits, penetrations into the protective coating(s), or pollutant roughness....”

Well that throws all pictures posted here out, unless you offer closeups with black light.

OK.

Meg's Ultimate is easy to use and gives paint a nice warm shine - as simple as that. The only thing OTC that compares is Griot's Poly Wax, and it's twice the price.

NF dusts and stains trim - I'm not going to make more work for myself to save $7.

There will always be some Kool-Aid drinkers for NF who embrace the foolishness about that product.

In all honesty...their opinions are perfectly fine (hearing once) and no more or less than any others who don't drink that Kool-Aid.

But the repeated false NF propaganda, unproven claims, and misleading information - all while repeatedly and deliberately omitting facts about the multiple problems with that product - do a gross dis-service to folks who don't know much on the topic, and are sincerely seeking looking to understand more about various products.

Hearing deceptive "pros" and omitting or covering up the "cons" for any product helps no one, and raises the question about any motivation for doing it.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 05:28 PM

I posted the cons about it so don't make false statements. Lets be honest the vast majority of people couldn't give a rats rear about detailing, they want a quick job from a bottle for their daily driven vehicles that's all and that is good enough for them.
They are not using DA buffers or anything else other than maybe a microfiber with edges they got for 6 bucks a pack at Walmart.

For them NF is perfectly fine. I am more than capable of color sanding a newly painted car, using a rotary and use the best product and very few are from Meguiar's, its mostly 3M. So go ahead and have the last word, I have better things to do.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 05:30 PM

That's probably all true but fan boys cant let it go at that.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 06:02 PM

I posted the cons about it so don't make false statements.

Yup...but several other posters did not. There's been so much noise pollution about NuFinish on this website...it'll make most regular people want to remove orange from the spectrum.

Happy detailing!

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 06:39 PM

LOL Sounds like you just read that of a bottle of whatever over priced product the advertisers used to convince you to part with your money.
Detailing car paint is nothing more than inflicting more damage of various degrees to the paint in order to correct damage done by car wash brushes, poor washing habit, sand and gravel damage, airborne pollutants, etc.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with NF, it bonds to the paint well, resist pollutants and fills micro scratches good enough to look decent (not as well as some paste waxes) but no liquid does any better and it does last.
If a big name company put this formula in a bottle half the size with fancy name and charged 3x the price many people would be singing its praises and opening their wallets.

Think what you want. I've used and compared NF to other products and found it to be inferior...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 06:57 PM

Don't talk to me about pro detailers, I have some of these hacks ruin more jobs than I remember. There are some that are very good like any other profession but most are self taught and learn ojt.
Other than washing and waxing with a non abrasive wax anything you do to the paint is inflicting various degrees of damage, its that simple.

Look, it doesn't matter if NF is a polish, a wax or owl pee it works and it works well, it last a long time and is reasonably priced.
You are wrong, no product can bond deeper than the surface of paint without the aid of strong solvents that soften the surface, that's a fact. If any product is doing that I don't want any part of it. I do use blending solvent to blend paint but thats a controlled process and not to be played with by detailers or DIY.

There is no point to this thread anymore, fan boys will to pay more money for product what have the most advertising and will swear by them no matter if something better for less than half the price is looking right at them.
Me I like good value and good performance from what I buy.

That's funny. All of the products I use do absolutely NO advertising...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 06:57 PM

Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing owns Meguiars.
Posted By: Voleak

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 08:02 PM

... Lets be honest the vast majority of people couldn't give a rats rear about detailing, they want a quick job from a bottle for their daily driven vehicles that's all and that is good enough for them.
They are not using DA buffers or anything else other than maybe a microfiber with edges they got for 6 bucks a pack at Walmart.

I am very happy with Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. I use the liquid form. I agree with Trav with the quote above. I want a simple wax job in a bottle, from a wax I can grab at Walmart or Target. Meg's Ultimate Wax is easy to use, provides a great shine, and I feel good that I am at least putting some kind of protection on my vehicles three times a year.

So, whatever you choose to put on your vehicle, at least you are putting something on it a few times a year. There are many people that never even wax at all. That is the only problem right there, the non-waxers. It doesn't matter what brand one uses, as long as they are using something (Meg's, Turtle, NF, Griot's, etc.). Just my humble opinion.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 08:06 PM

Another option for around $8 that is readily available is Mother's SynWax. Doesn't stain trim or powder off. Prob not as durable as NF though. A detailer said it's the only Mother's product he uses.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 10:04 PM

Just gonna say this once... Can we PLEASE not make this another flame thread about Nu Finish? That thread became unreadable and was closed. Must we drive this one down that road as well?

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/27/18 10:37 PM

You are spot on! All these products have their own following of people who like them and use them for one reason or another.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/28/18 09:09 AM

*Amen...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/28/18 11:23 PM

Some people like Pepsi and some people like Coke.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/28/18 11:29 PM

Some people like Pepsi and some people like Coke.

I started to mention this but thought it would start a cola war in addition to the wax battle.
Posted By: GMZ

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 02:03 AM

I find Collinite 845 to look similar with much better beading and durability.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 10:01 AM

*Safe for trim ?
Originally Posted By: GMZ
Posted By: 4WD

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 10:24 AM

*Safe for trim ?

They say that about Turtle Wax ICE as well … sorry if that’s a repeat … not going to read all of this …

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 12:50 PM

*Safe for trim ?

You can actually use it on trim...makes it look like new again!

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: 4WD
They say that about Turtle Wax ICE as well … sorry if that’s a repeat … not going to read all of this …

Turtle Wax Ice is/was great! I remember it being one of the first synthetic sealants available back in 2011ish - the best was the Liquid. Very similar to a modern coating with how it was applied.

This was back in my Army days. Myself and a good friend bought the full Ice line and did both of our MINIs in a weekend and were facinated by a wax that looked like water but was slick as sin and made the paint pop!

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 02:27 PM

*Safe for trim ?

Safe for trim, mine looks great.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Turtle Wax Ice is/was great! I remember it being one of the first synthetic sealants available back in 2011ish - the best was the Liquid. Very similar to a modern coating with how it was applied.

This was back in my Army days. Myself and a good friend bought the full Ice line and did both of our MINIs in a weekend and were facinated by a wax that looked like water but was slick as sin and made the paint pop!

Ice is one I've never tried. How is it for durability?

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 03:17 PM

Ice is one I've never tried. How is it for durability?

Honestly not sure.

The longest any of my cars have ever gone between waxing is 3 months. Before I had my kids I would wash and wax weekly!

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 05:40 PM

This is ULW (left) vs 845 (right) after 7 days of rain. Hood was clayed prior to application. After seeing these results I tossed the remaining ULW and went with 845. Water beading and hydrophobicity may not be important to some but in areas like the PNW that have constant rain it helps immensely with reduction in water spots.

845 is like $16 on Amazon and a bottle will last 30+ applications. You don't even need to leave your house and endure WM.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 08:20 PM

This is ULW (left) vs 845 (right) after 7 days of rain. Hood was clayed prior to application. After seeing these results I tossed the remaining ULW and went with 845. Water beading and hydrophobicity may not be important to some but in areas like the PNW that have constant rain it helps immensely with reduction in water spots.

The ULW side actually looks much better than the 845 for beading...it appears to demonstrate large aggregated beads and better water run-off instead of smaller beads just sitting on the surface...me thinks you got the results backwards...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 09:37 PM

Beads on the ULW side are very loose.

Clearly worse.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/29/18 10:36 PM

The ULW side actually looks much better than the 845 for beading...it appears to demonstrate large aggregated beads and better water run-off instead of smaller beads just sitting on the surface...me thinks you got the results backwards...

Wrong.

Aggregated beads and water run off? Are you looking at the same picture? There is no run off at all as the car was sitting (excepting a small area in front at the confluence of the two products that was dripped on by the house). Smaller beads = higher surface tension = "slicker".

Plenty of beading tests on YouTube that attest to Colinite's performance in this regard.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 12:57 AM

Beads on the ULW side are very loose.

Clearly worse.

Wrong.

The object is to get water to leave the surface...not collect in little beads and sit there. The right side is hardly coagulating.
Wrong.

Aggregated beads and water run off? Are you looking at the same picture? There is no run off at all as the car was sitting (excepting a small area in front at the confluence of the two products that was dripped on by the house). Smaller beads = higher surface tension = "slicker".

Plenty of beading tests on YouTube that attest to Colinite's performance in this regard.

Wrong - back at ya.

Having tons of small beads of water that go nowhere...water just sitting there...defeats the whole purpose, which is to have water leave the surface as easily and quickly as possible...so it doesn't leave any deposits behind.....which is what is happening on the left side of that picture, not the right.

I've seen cheap-product waxed cars look like the 845 right side. Quite underwhelming.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 01:06 AM

Hmm. Whatever you say.

Here is a fresh coat of Griot's One-Step Sealant:

Nice, tight beads, what you want. This was after a light sprinkle. Not enough water to sheet.

And here is Meguiar's Fast Finish hit with the hose:

The Carrera doesn't really have any surfaces horizontal enough to hold water; it just runs off. I can drive it in the rain and it's dry when I park it.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 01:21 AM

The size of the beads will vary depending on the spray pattern of the nozzle and the velocity of the watery plus the angle of the spray. Tight beads are better but active sheeting is preferred. On a horizontal surface sheeting becomes difficult.

There are too many variables involved to really get a good test.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 01:22 AM

Hmm. Whatever you say.

Here is a fresh coat of Griot's One-Step Sealant:

Bingo...nice...now that too is what I'm talking about...nice coagulated beads (tight and typically larger than the 845 photo example) that will have the water run off....and you said you got that after a light rain sprinkle...very good. Exactly the same bead look on my wife's car and my SUV.

Cool pics and nice results. Nice wheels too!

That too is what my photo using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid shows...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 01:45 AM

845 is like $16 on Amazon and a bottle will last 30+ applications. You don't even need to leave your house and endure WM.

I put a spray nozzle on 845 and use it as sort of a "spray wax" (it has to be warm for this to be effective). 845 is awesome and I even have used it on trim before. The restoration shop I worked at we used it to seal cast aluminum and various parts before installation. Really good stuff and always have a bottle at my shop.
Posted By: sleddriver

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 04:08 AM

Mmmmm...all these photos remind me it's been too long since the sled has had a good wash. I postponed when it actually rained here for several days in June!? Very odd that.

I used NF for a long, long time. Worked fine for me. It was hard to remove when applied too thick (my bad) and it did & does stain black trim & rubber. Didn't like that at all. But it was cheap and familiar.

Several years ago now, I decided it was finally time to compound the sled's clear coat. I used Meg's ultimate compound + a neighbors flex machine with my own new pads. This removed 15+ yrs of scratches and made the clear coat very smooth. I was convinced to try something new, so I went with DuraGloss CCP (clear coat polish). I got lucky and found it at a single old-school auto parts store. They had the whole line. I also bought a bottle of AquaWax.

CCP isn't a 'polish', not sure why they call it that. It goes on very easily, doesn't stain black trim nor rubber and is very easy to remove. The result was the sled's boring white paint actually shined! Definitely an improvement over NF.

First time it rained I was stunned. It's like the water was standing straight up. The hood was covered with very small, consistently sized dots of water. I'd never witnessed that before.

When it came time to wash, I was rather amazed at just how much dirt would be removed with just a water spray. Before any suds....then again I do have a water-softener which greatly helps.

Post suds & a rinse, I'd squeege off the water, mist on a bit of AquaWax, spread it around with my hands and then blow-dry with an electric leaf blower. Easy-peasy. That insane water beading persisted close to a year if I remember right. I'm a happy DG fan. The sled shines better with DG than NF. Boring white with no depth needs all the help it can get: DG does that.

Is DG better than Meguiars ultimate? I don't know. Never tried it. I was very impressed with their ultimate compound though using the Flex machine.

If I remember, I'll snap a photo of a water spray before I wash. Can't even remember when the last time was I washed it...

BITOG thread: White Car Care

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 12:24 PM

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
That insane water beading persisted close to a year if I remember right.

Cool Beans (pun intended)!

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 12:26 PM

845 is awesome and I even have used it on trim before. The restoration shop I worked at we used it to seal cast aluminum and various parts before installation. Really good stuff and always have a bottle at my shop.

Interesting. On cast aluminum...since there is no painted surface...wondering what any wax sealant product would adhere to...and how long it might actually last. Most such products are chemically designed with polymers to adhere to paint in contrast to raw metal (which it nonporous).

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Several years ago now, I decided it was finally time to compound the sled's clear coat. I used Meg's ultimate compound + a neighbors flex machine with my own new pads. This removed 15+ yrs of scratches and made the clear coat very smooth. I was convinced to try something new, so I went with DuraGloss CCP (clear coat polish). I got lucky and found it at a single old-school auto parts store. They had the whole line. I also bought a bottle of AquaWax.

Thank you for the excellent post. I kind of forgot about the other thread where you brought the finish back to life. I always wondered what happened to quertydude, he had interesting posts that I learned a lot from. I had to look up which product CCP is since I didn't recall that one off hand. It is also called DG #111. Another plus is that it doesn't "powder" off when being removed. I've tried their #101 before which is a sealant and has some polishing agents in it, so an actual polish. They also have a swirl mark remover which is like #101 but with more polish in it along with sealant. Great at removing spider-webbing but won't remove deeper scratches.

Aquawax can also be used on the interior like dash and other plastics. I might also try their PBA - pre bonding agent to increase durability even more. Since one of the cars is outside all the time. It's kind of fun trying their different products out.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 06:10 PM

I'm amazed at just how many 'hits' that thread has accumulated since! Wow...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 06:35 PM

845 is awesome and I even have used it on trim before. The restoration shop I worked at we used it to seal cast aluminum and various parts before installation. Really good stuff and always have a bottle at my shop.

Interesting. On cast aluminum...since there is no painted surface...wondering what any wax sealant product would adhere to...and how long it might actually last. Most such products are chemically designed with polymers to adhere to paint in contrast to raw metal (which it nonporous).

It's called insulator wax for a reason, developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosion. It adheres to almost anything I have put it on, and applies like no other product I have tested. Works great.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 07:48 PM

It's called insulator wax for a reason, developed for use by electric power companies for protection against high voltage power failure, fires and explosion. It adheres to almost anything I have put it on, and applies like no other product I have tested. Works great.

Interesting...then obviously the chemistry in it is significantly different that Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid, which is designed specifically for vehicle exterior finishes through polymer bonding.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 06/30/18 08:17 PM

Yeah, DG CCP = #111. I got confused once and referred to it as "109" which is a BG product, not a DG product...

I used it as it's the only one in their line with no grit/polish/abrasive even though it's labeled as a 'polish'. Royally confusing for a new user.....

I'm currently recharging the water softener before I wash.
Posted By: slomo

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/01/18 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Warstud

Wise man.

slomo

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/01/18 11:09 PM

Wise man.

slomo
Originally Posted by cheesepuffs

Says who?

slomo

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/01/18 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Loving the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid results on the 2018 Pearl White Hyundai SUV...the daughter's Black 2017 Hyundai SUV with Meguiar's looks pretty nice too.

Smooth, clean, and shiny...just the way we like them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Can we see this Meguiars Ultimate Wonder Wax on a 1965 Ford LTD red hood please? Been out in the junkyard for decades rotting away. Not some 2019 what ever just pushed off the showroom floor. "Man this wax is GREAT on my 2018 Olds-mo-Chrysler". Really??? Lemon Pledge would look great on a 2018 tractor too.

slomo

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/02/18 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by slomo
[
Can we see this Meguiars Ultimate Wonder Wax on a 1965 Ford LTD red hood please? Been out in the junkyard for decades rotting away. Not some 2019 what ever just pushed off the showroom floor. "Man this wax is GREAT on my 2018 Olds-mo-Chrysler". Really??? Lemon Pledge would look great on a 2018 tractor too.

slomo

That has to be one of the most ---- posts regarding waxes/sealants ever seen. It makes no sense, has no purpose, and fails to make any resemblance of logic or reason.

For those of us that actually understand and practice exterior car care...we know how to take care of vehicles. Our 18-year-old 4 door sedan exterior looked very similar to our new SUV...because we took great care of it...and we didn't use a "fake wax" product like the one you seem to condone. We got top dollar selling it because it looked nearly new after all those years.

People either take care of their vehicles or they don't. No wax/sealant will resurrect an exterior finish from the depths of a destroyed old car surface that hasn't been properly kept up (including using the orange bottle goop). DUH.
Posted By: jimbrewer

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/02/18 09:45 PM

I’ve tried it. It’s fine. The appearance is not quite as good as the Collinite, nor the Duragloss. Not quite as long lasting, but durable enough.

A lot to be said for something you can get at K-Mart any day of the week.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/02/18 10:27 PM

Can't help but notice that most reviews on waxes/ sealants are based on cars stored indoors vs. out. When it come to a climate like Florida besides the constant heat there is a LUV bug issue and there are limited products for outdoor protection. Although Meguiars Ultimate Wax may work well in other area it does NOT here. I used it for many years and never had it last more the 2-3 months outdoors even with prepping the paint. It did NOTHING to protect against the LUV bugs which eat
through the wax coating, then the paint. Once a friend told me about FK1000 it was like night and day. Finish lasted closer to 6 months outdoors in Florida and the LUV bug residue was minimal and easy to clean off. Well worth the money in my opinion! If you car is stored indoors anything carnuba wax is great.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/03/18 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jimbrewer

Oh really....brands like Mothers, Chemical Guys, and other higher quality products are sold at Walmart. So much for that misjudgment. whistle
Originally Posted by 007
Can't help but notice that most reviews on waxes/ sealants are based on cars stored indoors vs. out. When it come to a climate like Florida besides the constant heat there is a LUV bug issue and there are limited products for outdoor protection. Although Meguiars Ultimate Wax may work well in other area it does NOT here. I used it for many years and never had it last more the 2-3 months outdoors even with prepping the paint. It did NOTHING to protect against the LUV bugs which eat
through the wax coating, then the paint. Once a friend told me about FK1000 it was like night and day. Finish lasted closer to 6 months outdoors in Florida and the LUV bug residue was minimal and easy to clean off. Well worth the money in my opinion! If you car is stored indoors anything carnuba wax is great.

That certainly makes some sense. After all...Florida's state bird is the mosquito. LOL

Car exterior protection is best accomplished with a sealant product in contrast to a wax...the protection is better and lasts longer.

Meguiars Ultimate Wax (actually a sealant) does provide UV protection, but it's fair to say any product used on a vehicle stored outdoors will be severely pushed to its limits. Sitting outside most of the time in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, California, or Florida renders most car care products to a short-term protection live-cycle. Even some quality carnauba waxes break down when exposed daily to hot sun. It's a sad price to pay for living in hot places.

UV protection is an obvious must, and requires a more-frequent application of protection on a vehicle's exterior than in a more "normal" climate. Even so, very few products can sustain protection in 100+ degree weather over months.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/03/18 03:05 PM

Oh really....brands like Mothers, Chemical Guys, and other higher quality products are sold at Walmart. So much for that misjudgment. whistle
Originally Posted by 007

That certainly makes some sense. After all...Florida's state bird is the mosquito. LOL

Car exterior protection is best accomplished with a sealant product in contrast to a wax...the protection is better and lasts longer.

Meguiars Ultimate Wax (actually a sealant) does provide UV protection, but it's fair to say any product used on a vehicle stored outdoors will be severely pushed to its limits. Sitting outside most of the time in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, California, or Florida renders most car care products to a short-term protection live-cycle. Even some quality carnauba waxes break down when exposed daily to hot sun. It's a sad price to pay for living in hot places.

UV protection is an obvious must, and requires a more-frequent application of protection on a vehicle's exterior than in a more "normal" climate. Even so, very few products can sustain protection in 100+ degree weather over months.

Meguiars Ultimate Wax has "mostly" the same basic ingredients as the world standard Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Say something about the legendary Turtle Wax. Course Meguiars charges more than 7 times the price to market it. See most people think the more it costs, must be better. For $3.87, I would love to see anyone find a better wax than Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Can we all name the wax "nearly" every new wonder wax of the week is compared to? Look on utube, tons of these videos. The Turtle Wax ICE line has triple the main ingredients compared to Super Hard Shell. All are silicone waxes which are anti-water slash anti-moisture.

slomo
Posted By: BTLew81

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/03/18 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 007

Meguiars Ultimate Wax has "mostly" the same basic ingredients as the world standard Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Say something about the legendary Turtle Wax. Course Meguiars charges more than 7 times the price to market it. See most people think the more it costs, must be better. For $3.87, I would love to see anyone find a better wax than Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Can we all name the wax "nearly" every new wonder wax of the week is compared to? Look on utube, tons of these videos. The Turtle Wax ICE line has triple the main ingredients compared to Super Hard Shell. All are silicone waxes which are anti-water slash anti-moisture.

slomo

Not even close to turtle wax. Period. It’s a very different technology. Easier to use. Last longer. Stronger water behavior. Honestly, tw isn’t terrible, but there are several waxes/sealants I can think of that last longer, look better, etc. You make some pretty bold claims. They can be disproven. Have you used another wax?

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/03/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by BTLew81

Originally Posted by 007

slomo

Not even close to turtle wax. Period. It’s a very different technology. Easier to use. Last longer. Stronger water behavior. Honestly, tw isn’t terrible, but there are several waxes/sealants I can think of that last longer, look better, etc. You make some pretty bold claims. They can be disproven. Have you used another wax?

You might check out the SDS for each one. Sounds like you haven't looked at them. I hear what you are saying. The NEW Turtle Wax SHS formula is easier to apply and has more shine than the old formula. Now I'm wondering since it super easy to wipe off, will it last as long as the original. ?? Sure has a better shine than what I can remember. Course I've never put TW on the car I just applied it to. Maybe just the paint job.

slomo

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/03/18 06:29 PM

Totally agree. Gross misrepresentations in that other post.

Even the pricing difference is highly exaggerated by that other poster. That's a common practice when facts are no where to be found.

Walmart sells Turtle Wax ICE paste was for $12.59. Meguiars Ultimate sells for $19.97. Apparently some people figure that's 7 times the cost for the Meguiars, but using grade school math...it's less than 60% more...certainly not 700%. Then again...one other poster implies that anything sold at a discount store is pure garbage, which as most people know...is entirely false.

A good fiction writer can't come up with some of these lame arguments.

Some people would find the $7 difference quite well worth it in terms of application ease, protection, and surface results.
Posted By: anndel

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/04/18 01:26 AM

Totally agree. Gross misrepresentations in that other post.

Even the pricing difference is highly exaggerated by that other poster. That's a common practice when facts are no where to be found.

Walmart sells Turtle Wax ICE paste was for $12.59. Meguiars Ultimate sells for $19.97. Apparently some people figure that's 7 times the cost for the Meguiars, but using grade school math...it's less than 60% more...certainly not 700%. Then again...one other poster implies that anything sold at a discount store is pure garbage, which as most people know...is entirely false.

A good fiction writer can't come up with some of these lame arguments.

Some people would find the $7 difference quite well worth it in terms of application ease, protection, and surface results.

I found for my needs on our 2005 Toyota Avalon that's parked outside 24/7 that Meguairs Ultimate lasts 1-2 weeks longer than Turtle Wax Ice. That's based on the slick feel when I touch the surface and water beading during a wash or rainstorm. Nonetheless, I use either since I get it from my local Wal Mart and depends what's on the shelf.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/04/18 03:47 AM

You can get the Gold Class Carnuba Plus at WM for $11 any day of the week. It's good stuff that's as cheap as Turtle Wax Ice and several dollars less than the Ultimate Wax according to whether you get paste or liquid.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/04/18 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
You can get the Gold Class Carnuba Plus at WM for $11 any day of the week. It's good stuff that's as cheap as Turtle Wax Ice and several dollars less than the Ultimate Wax according to whether you get paste or liquid.

The Gold Class Carnauba is indeed good stuff...it just doesn't last as long as MUL in terms of protection. Same holds true of the ICE stuff.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/05/18 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

The Gold Class Carnauba is indeed good stuff...it just doesn't last as long as MUL in terms of protection. Same holds true of the ICE stuff.

Gold Class is indeed great stuff with that deep wet shine but it was great when our cars were in a garage at home and during work.
Posted By: wdn

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/05/18 11:31 AM

Collinite 845 completely destroys Meguiar’s Ultimate Wax. It is not even close.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/05/18 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by wdn

Would you agree that 845 is not as easy to apply as Meguiar's? Most people that use it professionally recommend two coats and note that the product will rehaze or sweat after a few days and will require a rewash.

I'd like to try it to see firsthand what all the fuss is about, but I've started using Klasse and am more than happy with it. My single bottles of AIO and KSG will last me well into the future. Maybe if a family member or friends needs their car done I'll use that as an excuse to buy and try 845.

Even though I know there are waxes and sealants that protect longer or look better (and I use them myself), I've found the Meguiar's Ultimate line to strike a good blend of performance, availability, and cost.
Posted By: Speak2Mountain

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/05/18 04:05 PM

Welcome to 1979

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/05/18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by wdn

Well it might be a destroyer...but doesn't come close to ease of application nor durability to Meg Ultimate.
Posted By: BMWTurboDzl

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/05/18 05:17 PM

I'll have to take a look at it in a few years. I've been a klasse AIO/SG user for years and it took me 15 yrs to get through a bottle of SG so I have to buy something new for spring '19. (I detail fall/spring).

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/05/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I'll have to take a look at it in a few years. I've been a klasse AIO/SG user for years and it took me 15 yrs to get through a bottle of SG so I have to buy something new for spring '19. (I detail fall/spring).

You ain't lying there. I way overdid it with the KSG and had a helluva time removing it. Subsequent coats trying some of the "veteran" methods found online and it's my new favorite. I used so little product and it looks so good I don't know if I'll ever have to buy more.
Posted By: wdn

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/06/18 01:20 AM

Collinite 845 has far better durability than the Meguiar’s. People who are finding fault with Collinite and have not even tried it themselves? Not even sure how to react to that. Those are not opinions based on personal experience. I have tried both and now only use the Collinite. Meguiar’s may well be the best thing on the shelf at Walmart.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/06/18 02:52 AM

Where do you buy Collinite 845 as far as brick and mortar stores? I've seen it online and the price is comparable to Meguiars Ultimate Wax. I've looked at auto part stores and on the shelf at Walmart.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/06/18 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by wdn
Collinite 845 has far better durability than the Meguiar’s. People who are finding fault with Collinite and have not even tried it themselves? Not even sure how to react to that. Those are not opinions based on personal experience. I have tried both and now only use the Collinite. Meguiar’s may well be the best thing on the shelf at Walmart.

...and yet there are plenty of us who have used both...and found the opposite assessment...that Collinite 845 (also know as "Collinite insulator") was the lesser of the two because its far more difficult to work with during the application process compared to Meguiar's Ultimate. Doing a simple search on this site hows there are plenty of posts reporting that same thing. The cost of the two products is similar, with Collinite being more difficult to obtain and slightly higher in cost is some markets.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for ease of use and application, Collinite would rank about a 7, and Meguiar's a 9.
On a scale of 1 to 10 for sustained durability/protection, Collinite would rank about a 9 and Meguiar's Ultimate a 9.

While that points to BOTH products actually being very good, it also simplifies the understanding of which one is the better product overall.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/06/18 11:13 PM

I saw and bought the last 2 cans from Wal Mart. I thought that was strange as well it being there on the shelf.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/07/18 09:34 AM

*Collinite 845 = 1979 ?
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Welcome to 1979

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/07/18 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
I've been a staunch Meguiars fan for many years but just recently applied this to both my Hondas - Chemical Guys Polymer Sealant

The reviews say it should last 7 months, I'll post after 6 months and tell you how it lasted. It was very easy to put on/take off and the luster was exceptional.

The link says the product is called CarGuys. Price is pretty steep for a knock off, it that's what it is.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/07/18 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by sasilverbullet

The link says the product is called CarGuys. Price is pretty steep for a knock off, it that's what it is.

[quote=SatinSilver][quote=sasilverbullet]I've been a staunch Meguiars fan for many years but just recently applied this to both my Hondas - Chemical Guys Polymer Sealant

Outside or inside?
Posted By: gizzsdad

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/08/18 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by wdn

My experience as well. 845 lasted at least twice as long for me in a midwest winter.

Used Ultimate Wax once and still have a nearly full bottle.

I DO like Ultimate Fast Finish though.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/09/18 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by wdn

Well it might be a destroyer...but doesn't come close to ease of application nor durability to Meg Ultimate.

MUW doesn't compare to Collinite in any respect...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/09/18 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by wdn

...and yet there are plenty of us who have used both...and found the opposite assessment...that Collinite 845 (also know as "Collinite insulator") was the lesser of the two because its far more difficult to work with during the application process compared to Meguiar's Ultimate. Doing a simple search on this site hows there are plenty of posts reporting that same thing. The cost of the two products is similar, with Collinite being more difficult to obtain and slightly higher in cost is some markets.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for ease of use and application, Collinite would rank about a 7, and Meguiar's a 9.
On a scale of 1 to 10 for sustained durability/protection, Collinite would rank about a 9 and Meguiar's Ultimate a 9.

While that points to BOTH products actually being very good, it also simplifies the understanding of which one is the better product overall.

I don't know how you can say Meguiar's is easier to use than 845. The 845 wipes on and off with ease, takes absolutely no elbow grease whatsoever...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/09/18 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by grampi
I don't know how you can say Meguiar's is easier to use than 845. The 845 wipes on and off with ease, takes absolutely no elbow grease whatsoever...

I accounted for the Collinite added dust and extra elbow grease in its removal process on some surfaces. Meguiar's doesn't have those issues.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/10/18 11:54 AM

I accounted for the Collinite added dust and extra elbow grease in its removal process on some surfaces. Meguiar's doesn't have those issues.

Added dust? Collinite leaves NO dust, and like I said, it requires NO elbow grease to apply or remove regardless of the surface it's applied to...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/10/18 11:56 AM

Added dust? Collinite leaves NO dust, and like I said, it requires NO elbow grease to apply or remove regardless of the surface it's applied to...

Yeah I question that as well. I've never seen mention of Collinite dusting. I've read that it does haze back up after a few days once it is fully cured though.
Posted By: gizzsdad

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/10/18 03:46 PM

845 only dusts when it's applied too thick

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/10/18 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad

That's my understanding as well...however...applying it to thinly renders it having a shorter protection lifespan. Hard to succeed with that product.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/10/18 08:22 PM

That's my understanding as well...however...applying it to thinly renders it having a shorter protection lifespan. Hard to succeed with that product.

What?
It's really hard to apply a wax "too thinly."

9 times out of 10, if you didn't think you put on enough wax, you put on just the right amount.

If you think you've put on enough, you've used way too much...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/10/18 08:58 PM

The correct (and best, I might add) application process with Collinite 845 is to apply it super thin, ideally with a DA orbital. Applying any more provides no added benefit. It's how I apply it. No problems with durability.

Hard to succeed with that product??? Doing it the RIGHT way, it's hard to go wrong.

Article on AutoGeek on applying 845 for reference.

Now, I WILL say that unless you are familiar with your DA, and 845, it can be easy to put too much on. Megs Ultimate is definitely far more forgiving, especially for the detailing novice, and provides both a great shine, and decent durability. However, for someone who knows how to do it, 845 provides just as much shine, and much better durability. They both have their place.
Posted By: gofast182

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/10/18 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by wdn

Finally a well-reasoned post that isn't just a snarky defense of your preferred product. I use 845 when I detail for friends or family and when it runs out I'll pick up ULW because there seems to be zero downside for a finish I won't be expected to maintain beyond that.
On my own cars I tend to use more boutiquey sealants but I like trying new products.
Best product I've ever used for longevity is still Menzerna/Jescar PowerLock. Best product I've ever used for shine is P21S Concours Look Wax (the amount of compliments I got when using that wax were absolutely unbelievable).
The amount of folks here who like Nu Finish with all the newer better stuff out there is perplexing but everyone's got to like something.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/11/18 04:01 PM

You seem to be the only in here who has any complaints about the Collinite...I think it could be operator error...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/11/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by gofast182
[quote=wdn]Collinite 845 has far better durability than the Meguiar’s. People who are finding fault with Collinite and have not even tried it themselves? Not even sure how to react to that. Those are not opinions based on personal experience. I have tried both and now only use the Collinite. Meguiar’s may well be the best thing on the shelf at Walmart.

I use 845 when I detail for friends or family and when it runs out I'll pick up ULW because there seems to be zero downside for a finish I won't be expected to maintain beyond that.

The down side is it won't last as long. If you're doing the job anyway, why not use a better product?

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/11/18 06:33 PM

The down side is it won't last as long. If you're doing the job anyway, why not use a better product?

Sorry...my experience is that Meguiar's Ultimate lasts as long as any other product used in recent years, including 845.

When using a DA for 845...you get dust...not so with Meguiar's. That's the only reason I consider 845 a great product, but 1 step below Meguiar's from actual use of both.

Applying it is easier than any other product as well, as a DA polisher can be used but is overkill. You can't go wrong with either product as far as durability.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/11/18 07:30 PM

Sorry...my experience is that Meguiar's Ultimate lasts as long as any other product used in recent years, including 845.

When using a DA for 845...you get dust...not so with Meguiar's. That's the only reason I consider 845 a great product, but 1 step below Meguiar's from actual use of both.

Applying it is easier than any other product as well, as a DA polisher can be used but is overkill. You can't go wrong with either product as far as durability.

That hasn't been my experience at all. NO Meguiar's product I've used, and I've used their Ultimate, lasts as long as the 845, and I've never had dust from the 845 no matter how it was applied...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/11/18 08:05 PM

That hasn't been my experience at all. NO Meguiar's product I've used, and I've used their Ultimate, lasts as long as the 845, and I've never had dust from the 845 no matter how it was applied...

I fully understand. In reality, we're talking about different experiences that include different application process steps and/or tools/materials, as well as climates, as well as densities of product used.

Most folks don't use a DA polisher for these products of course, so that's a variant.

In any case...having used both...either one does a very good job. I just prefer the ease of application experience with Meguiar's more, given the choice.

Happy detailing!

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/11/18 08:18 PM

Go easy on him, the fumes from the Megs and/or the Chemical Guys Banana Spray detailer have gone to his head. LOL

Those two products and Hyoooundays are the only things he likes. LOL

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/11/18 08:56 PM

Go easy on him, the fumes from the Megs and/or the Chemical Guys Banana Spray detailer have gone to his head. LOL

Those two products and Hyoooundays are the only things he likes. LOL

Naaah....there are a number of great products...and we all have our own "preferred ones".

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/11/18 10:06 PM

Doesn't Megs Ultimate represent a more modern (improved) formulation than Collinite 845 ? ... Some people state that 845 will slightly stain certain types of exterior plastics molding , etc. found on newer vehicles where as Megs Ultimate does not .

My routine :

*Wash
*Clay
*Megs Ultimate Polish
*Megs Ultimate Wax

Do above 3X per year ; in between this routine I wash with Meg's Ultimate Wash every few weeks when possible , dry then apply Turtle Wax ICE spray wax on vehicle body and glass ...Seems to work well as a person can fit in with a busy lifestyle and isn't difficult for any of the steps either .

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/12/18 02:29 AM

I apply 845 with a DA and I don't get dust, either.
I've yet to use a Meg's wax that lasts as long as 845 but I'm going to try this at some point since it's a newer formula than the ones I've used in the past.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/12/18 03:25 AM

845 is jjust older Meg's Ultimate formula In different packaging.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/12/18 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Doesn't Megs Ultimate represent a more modern (improved) formulation than Collinite 845 ? ... Some people state that 845 will slightly stain certain types of exterior plastics molding , etc. found on newer vehicles where as Megs Ultimate does not .

My routine :

*Wash
*Clay
*Megs Ultimate Polish
*Megs Ultimate Wax

Do above 3X per year ; in between this routine I wash with Meg's Ultimate Wash every few weeks when possible , dry then apply Turtle Wax ICE spray wax on vehicle body and glass ...Seems to work well as a person can fit in with a busy lifestyle and isn't difficult for any of the steps either .

Not only have I never heard anyone say that Collinite stains trim, I always hear people say one of the reasons they like it so much is because it DOESN'T stain trim. I actually use it on my trim because it makes it look better...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/12/18 12:09 PM

I've yet to use a Meg's wax that lasts as long as 845 but I'm going to try this at some point since it's a newer formula than the ones I've used in the past.

Not even on trim huh?

...and a big difference between staining trim and dust on trim grampi... numerous others have reported it too at various online sites...especially with a DA polisher and especially on trim...but it's said luck counts.

I'll keep doing things easier and with tip top results using Meguiar's Ultimate thank you.

In fact...a project for this weekend...the semi-annual 6-step detailing on 2 vehicles both in an afternoon easily. 75 degrees and sunny...perfect weather to get the job done right and in only 4 hours or less for both rides. Since the last time...the interim Banana stuff has kept the exterior on both looking like I just detailed them.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/12/18 12:32 PM

Not even on trim huh?

...and a big difference between staining trim and dust on trim grampi... numerous others have reported it too at various online sites...especially with a DA polisher and especially on trim...but it's said luck counts.

I'll keep doing things easier and with tip top results using Meguiar's Ultimate thank you.

In fact...a project for this weekend...the semi-annual 6-step detailing on 2 vehicles both in an afternoon easily. 75 degrees and sunny...perfect weather to get the job done right and in only 4 hours or less for both rides. Since the last time...the interim Banana stuff has kept the exterior on both looking like I just detailed them.

This back and forth kind of reminds me of the Nufinish arguments. We are getting nowhere with this. You have one experience with the product, and I (and others) have another.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/12/18 04:04 PM

I really don't understand the axe you're grinding, Hyundai guy.

Meguiar's Ultimate is as great all-rounder, but it's not the best at anything. It's not even the best all-rounder!

It is a quality product at a fair price - nothing more.

Everyone has their favorite.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/12/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

Meguiar's Ultimate is as great all-rounder, but it's not the best at anything. It's not even the best all-rounder!

Yep. It’s a bit silly to have these “mine is better than yours” discussions.

The best protection for your car is the one you have on there currently.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/12/18 05:42 PM

Why the drama comment?

Stated as difference of opinion...nothing more. The whole world doesn't take things at face value, and some folks have actual experience with multiple products, with differing results.

It seems anytime someone disagrees...a few folks chime in with their drama comments. People need to cool their jets.

Posted By: RTexasF

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/12/18 10:40 PM

Folks this is a most entertaining and silly, pointless thread. Thank you for the entertainment. Am I being snide? Yes, as a matter of fact I am, just read this whole thread and see for yourself why it should be closed.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/12/18 11:16 PM

Why the drama comment?

Stated as difference of opinion...nothing more. The whole world doesn't take things at face value, and some folks have actual experience with multiple products, with differing results.

It seems anytime someone disagrees...a few folks chime in with their drama comments. People need to cool their jets.

You've stated your opinion, and that's fine. Every time someone offers one to the contrary, you hammer on how they're wrong because... Because.

Quoting that particular part of my post, focusing on that, and trying to call someone else out for drama... Nice.

My jets are cool. Give your broken record a rest.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/13/18 12:48 AM

[
My jets are cool. Give your broken record a rest.

Not really. Hello pot...meet kettle.

And ditch the tool references...axe...hammer...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/15/18 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by RTexasF
Folks this is a most entertaining and silly, pointless thread. Thank you for the entertainment. Am I being snide? Yes, as a matter of fact I am, just read this whole thread and see for yourself why it should be closed.

I don't think the thread should be closed, but rather those who find it pointless should just ignore it...no one is forcing you to read or participate in it...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/15/18 06:20 PM

Exactly!

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/16/18 12:05 PM

Yawn...

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/18/18 08:04 AM

Meg's Ultimate : Hand application or DA orbiter machine application ?

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/18/18 08:48 AM

Always orbital if you have one. Cuts down on time and helps apply a thin even cost.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/18/18 01:14 PM

Me likes to apply Meg's Ultimate Liquid by hand... banana

I use the DA polisher here for the polish & glaze steps in the 5-step process of detailing to save the most time.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/18/18 06:22 PM

Even the cheapie Walmart $20 polisher(6") will be an upgrade over applying it by hand. As mentioned, since it applies a very thin, uniform coat. Start with the foam bonnet then switch to the microfiber one for removal and buffing. Makes the whole thing a breeze.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/18/18 08:18 PM

Even the cheapie Walmart $20 polisher(6") will be an upgrade over applying it by hand. As mentioned, since it applies a very thin, uniform coat. Start with the foam bonnet then switch to the microfiber one for removal and buffing. Makes the whole thing a breeze.

No doubt that's true...

...but hand application is incredibly fast and easy as well...so it comes down to preference for the most part. We've done 2 vehicles with all 5 steps (claybar, polish, glaze, Meguiar's Ultimate, and Chemical Guys Blazin' Banana spray way w/UV) in a total of 2 hours a car. Only Meguiar's Ultimate portion...20-25 minutes per vehicle.

Re: Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax ! - 10/19/18 09:58 AM

*Very cool !

No doubt that's true...

...but hand application is incredibly fast and easy as well...so it comes down to preference for the most part. We've done 2 vehicles with all 5 steps (claybar, polish, glaze, Meguiar's Ultimate, and Chemical Guys Blazin' Banana spray way w/UV) in a total of 2 hours a car. Only Meguiar's Ultimate portion...20-25 minutes per vehicle.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy