Home

Windshield Rain Repellent

Posted By: JLawrence08648

Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 01:29 PM

On a heavy rainy day I don't mind getting behind a truck and trailer on the highway, being bombarded by rain and watching the rain beading and zooming off the windshield WITHOUT the wipers on.

I use to use Rain Vision, the BEST I've found, but it seems they've gone out of business. I won't use Rain-X as it leaves a fog film on the windshield in rain and humidity conditions. Over the years I've tried some other products, all completely useless, Castrol Super Clean Accuvision, Glass Shield.and

I've never tried car polish or car wax. Should I?

For cleaning prior to using these I use Windex or such, followed by No Streak Glass Polish, the Best I've found, trying to use up Storer Invisible Glass.

What product have you found as a rain repellent that works!
Posted By: parshisa

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 01:42 PM

In my experience paint sealants and waxes on the windshield caused horrible streaking. So I'd say no those things.

Check out glass coatings by CarPro or Gyeon, or any other big player in detailing products. I'm hearing a lot of good stuff about these products although never used them myself.
Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 01:45 PM

I don't like the rain beading up and trailing off, its distracting ( to me) and the beads distort the view.

I use dishwashing liquid ( about a 1/2 cc ) in tap water during above freezing weather. That cuts through the road oils without dring up the rubber wiper blades. That Methanol based W/S cleaner is not good stuff for your health or the wipers!

You may want to try the old fashioned glass wax from the 1920's.

Idk how well it works.
Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 01:52 PM

I tried Rain-X some time ago and thought it was horrible, the streaks were just brutal.

I will say that my windshield generally beads nicely without streaking whenever I go through a touchless automatic car wash and pay for "the works"...but, it doesn't last that long and I have no idea which of the 6-10 steps actually gives me the nice beading effect.
Posted By: Zee09

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 01:52 PM

I won't use Rain-X as it leaves a fog film on the windshield in rain and humidity conditions

I'm glad you said that. When it first came out many decades ago it didn't do that. I quit using it as it
does exactly what you said but I like the principle especially if you're on a trip and you get a wiper failure.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 01:54 PM

I use a good strong windshield wash.

https://1z-usa.com/collections/top-picks...-oz-250-ml-html

Iíve never had any success with coatings. They have all smeared or left a glare. Skip the orange colored washer fluid and get this German made stuff.
Posted By: Zee09

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 01:55 PM

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-104-rain-vision-100-per-box.aspx
Posted By: Char Baby

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 02:02 PM

When I first started using Rain-X 20+ years ago, my windshield would rainbow while using my wipers at night from oncoming lights, or when passing the overhead lights on the hiwy...during a rain.

Rain-X may have changed their formula because I don't seem to get this rainbowing(some call it streaking) effect anymore and I won't be without the Rain-X on my windshield.

With clean glass inside & out, along with good wiper blades(my favorite are BEAM Style) and some Rain-X, I can drive at night in foul weather.
Posted By: twoheeldrive

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 02:28 PM

I use the Rain-X washer fluid. It leaves a rain repellent coating on the glass. No streaking. I applied Rain-X from the little yellow bottle first, but haven't had to re-apply it. It may work without applying a Rain-X base.
Posted By: Old Mustang Guy

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 02:30 PM

I use the rain x in the little bottle and only 3 or 4 drops then buff several times using some water the last time. That seems to eliminate film
Posted By: Dyusik

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 02:34 PM

As far as wax vs polish, I tried mothers syn wax and I have to say no. Nu finish polish does a good job with keeping the water bead up and run off. I dont put anything on the windshield though, have enough of a hard time cleaning the wiper blades clean from road grime.
Posted By: Brigadier

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 03:07 PM

Rain-X 2-in-1 cleaner and repellent, and then windshield washer additive. Works great and no streaking or fogging in my experience.
Posted By: mightymousetech

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 03:12 PM

Have tried many, Aquapel works the best.
Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Rain-X 2-in-1 cleaner and repellent, and then windshield washer additive. Works great and no streaking or fogging in my experience.

I've used that as well...does a pretty good job.

Overall...I actually get the best results when I include the windshield in my Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid wax routine. Easy on, easy off - and super protection that results in water rolling rapidly off - almost don't even need to use the wipers.
Posted By: mjoekingz28

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 03:34 PM

I thought about waxing my windshield from the owners manual. It had mentioned in some words that you should clean the windshield from time to time with straight ww fluid. It had stated that wax build-up was a reason for this. How else would wax build up on the glass unless you were waxing it. At least that is my interpretation from that exerpt in the manual.
Posted By: BJD78

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 03:46 PM

I tried rainX once many years ago and it's OK in daytime , but I found that during wet and rainy nights it just caused ay too much glare for my liking. glare to the point of being unsafe IMO. I just use Spryway or Durex glass cleaner both in spray cans. No more night glare and despite no water beading I have found visibility in heavy rain to be just fine.
Posted By: mightymousetech

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I thought about waxing my windshield from the owners manual. It had mentioned in some words that you should clean the windshield from time to time with straight ww fluid. It had stated that wax build-up was a reason for this. How else would wax build up on the glass unless you were waxing it. At least that is my interpretation from that exerpt in the manual.

Go through an automatic car wash? You will have wax on the glass.
Posted By: gizzsdad

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 04:15 PM

I've used the old Rain-X for probably 20 years, with (after the first application) NEVER any problems. No streaking, hazing or chattering. I'm inclined to think that most complaints are user error, as you need to take care to apply a thin coat and then remove completely. I've found that using a wax removal type microfiber towel as the last buffing step makes this easier. The first application I mentioned before did have some of the hazing and streaking, but upon close inspection, I realized that I had not buffed off properly. Some on this site have mentioned a sprinkle of water making the removal process a little easier.

I loved the old product, but read on this site a few years ago that the original makers of Rain-X had sold the name rights, and that the new product was less robust. Fortunately, I had the large bottle of the old product, and when it started to run low I sought a replacement and found "Rain Clear", which is purported to be the old formula. I have found it to be essentially similar to work with, and it seems to be lasting very well.

The other benefit I enjoy nearly as much as the self clearing, is how much easier bug removal becomes.

I also use the Rain-X washer fluid.

http://www.unelko.com/store/product.php?productid=16193&cat=262&page=1
Posted By: hallstevenson

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 05:07 PM

I use Rain-X in the little 4-oz (?) bottle and have no problems. I apply it just like a wax and then use a spray bottle of water to lightly mist it and wipe. Do not wipe or rub too hard and don't use glass cleaner or you'll probably just remove some or all of the material.

I have tried the version that comes in a spray-can and foams as well as the windshield washer type and if one has never used the little, yellow bottle version, they may be happy with it, but I wasn't. It effectively "didn't work" as far as I was concerned.
Posted By: mclasser

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: twoheeldrive
I use the Rain-X washer fluid. It leaves a rain repellent coating on the glass. No streaking.

+1
Posted By: SirTanon

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 05:28 PM

I have tried Rain-X in the past, and I hated the results.

The best results I've ever had were using paint sealant, topped by wax. Before I applied them, though I washed the windshield thoroughly, clayed it, washed it again, THEN applied the sealant, wiped down twice with a clean microfiber, applied the wax, wiped with another clean microfiber, and then buffed until I could no longer see any residue. The water just blew off when I drove.

Yes, it took a bit of work, but it was worth it. I should also add that I did not use the wipers even once as long as the water behavior continued, to make sure the wax and sealant were not worn away by the blades.
Posted By: nthach

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 05:31 PM

Aquapel is the only one I bother with. It does need good prep though, I prefer red can Bon Ami followed by Sprayway or similar non-ammoniated glass cleaner.
Posted By: Superflop

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
this. Polish the windshield then put it on with new wipers. Lasts for a very long time.
Posted By: hallstevenson

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I should also add that I did not use the wipers even once as long as the water behavior continued, to make sure the wax and sealant were not worn away by the blades.

In my experience, and it varies with different cars (windshield angle ?), I usually had to get up to 35 mph before there was enough wind force to move the water off. It always annoyed my wife as I'd would try NOT to use the wipers and have to tell her, "Wait, just wait...." until I was going fast enough. It is kinda dumb if you're sitting at a stop and so much rainwater is on the windshield that you can't see out. I think in this case though, there's enough water to form a bit of a buffer between the blades and the sealant that you won't wear too much off.
Posted By: madRiver

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 07:52 PM

+1 using it for 20 years. It builds a film slowly and other people riding notice my lack of wiper use.
Posted By: Snagglefoot

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 08:22 PM

Whatever you use for the repellent I recommend a good scrubbing with a scrub pad and a foaming cleaner such as the Gunk brand. Then wipe it down with paper towels until itís dry. Then apply the repellent.

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 08:33 PM

I mentioned that the wind just blew the water off the windshield while I was driving. What I didn't mention was that the windshield was slick enough with the sealant and wax, that even while I was sitting still, the water mostly ran off... enough such that I could still see fine even sitting still.
Posted By: double vanos

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 10:32 PM

Havenít tried it but maybe Griots glass sealant?
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/gla...amp;from=Search
Posted By: Ursatdx

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 10:58 PM

I like Rain-X.
Must be applied properly to a very clean windshield.
It takes a bit of work to apply it properly or it will leave a film.
I clean the rubber squeegee on my wipers with Rain-X and a clean
cotton towel. You'll be amazed at the dirt that comes off the rubber.
Rain-X washer solvent, too.
Valeo wipers replacements are exact OEM replacements for my Tundra.
No noise and great in rain or snow.

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 11:35 PM

The Sealant/wax that I put on the windshield was some time ago. It lasted a while, but eventually wore off. Spray wax seems to do okay but doesn't last very long.

Next up is a more long-term solution. I've picked up a combo glass kit from GTechniq - G1/G2 Clear Vision Smart Glass - Which includes both a special glass cleaner (G2) and a small bottle of glass coating.

From what I've read, it's supposed to last quite a long time. Guess we'll see.
Posted By: DAC17

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 11:38 PM

I agree completely with this. Works great. No film, no chattering wiper blades.

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/11/18 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Havenít tried it but maybe Griots glass sealant?
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/gla...amp;from=Search

Griots has some very good products. I would bet that their glass sealant is top notch.
Posted By: grampi

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/12/18 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
On a heavy rainy day I don't mind getting behind a truck and trailer on the highway, being bombarded by rain and watching the rain beading and zooming off the windshield WITHOUT the wipers on.

I use to use Rain Vision, the BEST I've found, but it seems they've gone out of business. I won't use Rain-X as it leaves a fog film on the windshield in rain and humidity conditions. Over the years I've tried some other products, all completely useless, Castrol Super Clean Accuvision, Glass Shield.and

I've never tried car polish or car wax. Should I?

For cleaning prior to using these I use Windex or such, followed by No Streak Glass Polish, the Best I've found, trying to use up Storer Invisible Glass.

What product have you found as a rain repellent that works!

If you're seeing a visible fog/film on your windshield after applying Rain-X, then you're not wiping it off well enough after you've applied it. When applied correctly, I haven't found anything that works as well, or looks as good as Rain-X...

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/12/18 06:35 PM

I tried that stuff once. It did absolutely nothing...

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/12/18 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: grampi

I suspect you may have ended up with the 'fake' Aquapel, unfortunately. There's a LOT of counterfeit offerings of it online. The genuine stuff works great.
Posted By: ThunderOne

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/12/18 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: twoheeldrive
I use the Rain-X washer fluid. It leaves a rain repellent coating on the glass. No streaking. I applied Rain-X from the little yellow bottle first, but haven't had to re-apply it. It may work without applying a Rain-X base.

This. Apply that initial coat manually, then use Rain-x (or any other "water beading") washer fluid to keep the water repellancy in tact. That being said, using regular washer fluid will eat at Rain-x almost immediately and you'll lose the effects. It's almost required to use rain-x washer fluid if using Rain-x window treatment. Been using Rain-x for a decade now with no issues, can't drive in the rain without it anymore. It's absolutely miserable driving another person's car without it (can't see anything!)

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/12/18 11:42 PM

I would do a search for Rain X windshield fluid playing havoc with the sensors in the fluid reservoirs. It appears to be a common problem.
Posted By: thescreensavers

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/13/18 01:48 AM

Anyone who has issues with a rain repellent product needs to clean their windshield either use a razer blade or 0000 steel wool then apply your repellant. If you have gunk on your windshield the product you are using wont wont laugh
Posted By: NYEngineer

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/13/18 02:31 AM

Yep. I clean my windshield with clay after a glass cleaner and towel cleaning. Clean it again with a clean towel and then apply rain x. The trick with Rain X is to buff it with a damp towel first and then a clean dry towel and add a little muscle. Works great.
Posted By: SHOZ

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/13/18 02:56 AM

I've found RainX to be easier to apply when it's cool, say 60F.
Posted By: quint

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/13/18 11:29 AM

I applied Rain-x a few years ago and I hated it, there was streaking and a cloudy film, and at night the glare was horrible. Then I had to drive my daughters car a few months ago and it was raining and I didnt even need wipers, it was crystal clear, and I wondered what she had done. She said her boyfriend had applied Rain-x and filled her washer reservoir with their washer fluid too.

I thought I would give it another try and after applying it I hated it, myself, and the rest of the world all over again. Glare, streaking, etc, I hated that I did this again. Then I decided to try to salvage it because I knew from experience removing it was difficult. I buffed the windshield with a clean towel and spritzed water every few minutes. After about 10 minutes using a little muscle while buffing, and switching between damp and dry towels the windshield got very smooth feeling. The next time I drove in the rain I didnt even need my wipers, bugs dont stick to it, there was no glare, and my opinion on using it changed completely.

The trick to these types of products is cleaning the glass thoroughly first, then spending a bit of time buffing after applying it. It takes some time but once you're done its worth it. You cant just dribble it on, wipe it dry and walk away, its going to look awful as soon as it gets wet. It takes a little work, cleaning wiping and buffing, then it works great. I haven't tried any other products, I would assume they work as well. I did try waxing the windshield a few times, it works pretty well but doesn't last long at all.

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/13/18 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

I suspect you may have ended up with the 'fake' Aquapel, unfortunately. There's a LOT of counterfeit offerings of it online. The genuine stuff works great.

No, I had the real stuff...
Posted By: Bear

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/13/18 12:38 PM

I use a nano skin to clean all the glass twice a year and use Rain-X washer fluid. Absolutely no issues. Also cleaning off the wiper blades with alcohol pads (or whatever) is key to no streaking.
Even though it's not recommended for glass I did apply Collinite 845 on all of the glass on our two vehicles. Don't know if it lasts on the windshield but it keeps water spots from forming on the windows.
Posted By: SHOZ

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/13/18 01:42 PM

The spray car was wax is what makes it hard to get good results from RainX. Both by not getting it completely off and after applying it.
Posted By: ThunderOne

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/13/18 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would do a search for Rain X windshield fluid playing havoc with the sensors in the fluid reservoirs. It appears to be a common problem.
Maybe on newer models, my 2004 Tacoma has never had the issue and I've been using RainX washer fluid for almost a decade.
Posted By: Broo

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/13/18 03:10 PM

My favorite was Rain Away, but they disappeared years ago. I now use RainX. I don't notice that cloudy/fog effect you guys talk bout.

I did try RainX and Stoner's 2 in 1 cleaner/repellent, but neither lasts long and it doesn't repel as well as a dedicated product.
Posted By: 2K2AcuraTL

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/13/18 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: madRiver

+1 using it for 20 years. It builds a film slowly and other people riding notice my lack of wiper use.

+2 longtime user of rain-X..
I simply wont do without it...
Posted By: DAC2018

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/14/18 10:08 AM

I heard somewhere that Windshield Rain Repellent mess up the rubbers in wipers
Posted By: ChrisD46

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/14/18 01:25 PM

I prefer just using Turtle Wax ICE spray wax or similar Lucas spray wax - use it on whole vehicle including glass with good results - water beads up nicely on the windshield .

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/15/18 11:42 AM

This. Then your favorite repellent. Napa CANADA had a rebate on Gunk.

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/15/18 01:41 PM

If there is any doubt, use Rainex or your favorite repellent on the left half of your windshield and your other choice on the right half and monitor it. Just remember to report back. laugh
Posted By: WylieCoyote

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/15/18 02:30 PM

I use Rain-X Water Repellent in the spray bottle. Spray on, smear it around like wax, let the sun bake it for a while, and use a water mister & microfiber towel to remove the excess. I have no trouble with streaking, rainbowing, etc. Wiper blades are unaffected, except that I don't have to use them a lot of the time when traveling over 40mph.
Posted By: Warstud

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/16/18 03:23 PM

Nu-Finish on the windshield >>>>>>

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/16/18 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/17/18 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001

This NF junk is a cancer...

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/17/18 04:55 PM

NuFinish Kool-Aid drinkers must have a deep addiction to fiction.
Posted By: Warstud

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/17/18 05:08 PM

Just like the 1972 Pinto your still driving.

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/17/18 09:04 PM

Just like the 1972 Pinto your still driving.

PINTO - another quality product by Ford (Fix Or Repair Daily; Found On Road Dead) - sold with a bag of marshmallows in every glove-box...so when the fire came...

They liked that idea so much, Ford reintroduced it years later with their Ford Escort car...

I hear the inventor of the Pinto also invented NuFinish to keep that fine car shining for years...probably the only car appropriate to use NuFinish on...he originally called in NoFinish, but had to change the name...

Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/19/18 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: DAC2018
I heard somewhere that Windshield Rain Repellent mess up the rubbers in wipers

If the solution gets on the wipers during application I can see that happening. Which is why I always raise up the wipers to help prevent that.
Posted By: urrlord

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/21/18 03:16 AM

Several years ago I picked up a squeeze tube of rain glass treatment,it had the consistency of soft butter and worked better than any other treatments I tried.I cannot remember the name.The guys at O'Rellys said they had a box of it that had got pushed to the back of a shelf in the storage room and had sat there for several years .I think I paid a buck for it.The tube was blue/black/white IIRC
Posted By: Carmudgeon

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/21/18 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: urrlord
Several years ago I picked up a squeeze tube of rain glass treatment,it had the consistency of soft butter and worked better than any other treatments I tried.I cannot remember the name.The guys at O'Rellys said they had a box of it that had got pushed to the back of a shelf in the storage room and had sat there for several years .I think I paid a buck for it.The tube was blue/black/white IIRC

This stuff?

Unelko, which was the original inventor of Rain-X before selling it off, continued to offer a glass care line under the Glass Science brand. ORAP was one of the few places I recall seeing it.
Posted By: urrlord

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/21/18 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Originally Posted By: urrlord

This stuff?

Unelko, which was the original inventor of Rain-X before selling it off, continued to offer a glass care line under the Glass Science brand. ORAP was one of the few places I recall seeing it.

yep that was it
Posted By: funkymonkey1111

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/24/18 06:37 PM

I've always wanted to try a sealant or aquapel, but have used rain-x without a problem since the late 80s. I don't get the glare that some report. It's fast, cheap, easy, and lasts well enough such that it's not a pain to reapply every month.

I've read about fake aquapel on amazon. I don't know if that's true or not, but it comes up in detailing forums from time to time.
Posted By: 154cm

Re: Windshield Rain Repellent - 06/25/18 03:53 AM

Rain x or Klasse all in one polish.

Rain x works great but is notoriously hard to remove after applying. Use many sheets of clean paper towel to remove completely or you'll end up with streaking or oncoming headlights looking hazy at night.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy