polishing, compounding, wet sanding video

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good rule of thumb is unless its a show car or you want it looking its best to sell just use a good paint sealer and wax and leave the buffer (any buffer, DA and rotary) and compound alone. A light buff job with polishing compound once in a great while is okay.
Paint gauges are all well and good but on repainted panels or a whole paint job the value of the gauge diminishes greatly, it cant be trusted.

When I paint I use extra clear for wet sanding and buffing when its done, on expensive paint jobs I unmask it, sand the clar super flat then remask and spay 2 more coats. OE clear is very very thin and some of it is soft, not something you want to go Micheal Myers on.

The best thing you can do is prevent scratches by using a bucket guard, using sponges or mitt for upper panels and lower panels and a dedicated wheel cleaning set and stay clear of brush car washes.
Never wipe anything off the paint dry or God forbid a paper towel or some old rag they are worse than 3000 sandpaper.

an informative vid, thanks!! on my new to me black 2011 nissan frontier i have "rain stains" the finish is shiney otherwise. seen some products for this as well as using a 50% white vinegar + water mix. i like black + want it to look good + as noted the quality of OE paint varies a lot!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
an informative vid, thanks!! on my new to me black 2011 nissan frontier i have "rain stains" the finish is shiney otherwise. seen some products for this as well as using a 50% white vinegar + water mix. i like black + want it to look good + as noted the quality of OE paint varies a lot!!

Probably hard water spots from sprinklers or I've even seen it rain and form tight water beads from a wax/sealant. Then the sun comes out with all the water beads on the paint and guess what happens. Using Finish Kare paste as a sealant can help since it sheets water and is durable. Water spot remover can help if you get to it right away. Also an all in one product that uses a chemical cleaner can be good also. Esp one from Duragloss that is designed for boats and RV's. Professionals use it for quick details. Some pics were posted on here from a detailer but the pics removed since they were from photobucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back