Wash&Wax and Car Cleaning Product Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never cleaned my car, and that needs to change. I don't want to spend $40 at the "real" car wash that pays its people minimum wage, nor do I want to go through the $7 automatic car wash at the gas station that I've heard is awful for my paint.

So, I would prefer to use an all-in-one wash&wax product, because I'm super lazy and don't have time to actually wax the car after I wash it. I plan to wash my car about once a month.

These are the two products I am considering, both are a similar price.

https://www.rainx.com/product/washes/rain-x-wash-wax-with-carnauba-wax-beads/#.Wp7RU-jwaiM
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17748-Wash-Wax-oz/dp/B00353PWAW
Now, my questions are, what should I use for actually washing the car? At O'Reilly there are like dozens of different options for both washing and drying, and there are even more on Amazon. For washing, there are like actually sponge things, or a microfiber wash pad, or chenille wash mitts... I'm having a heck of a time picking something with all those choices. And for drying there are microfiber drying towels, synthetic absorbers, actual shammies, way too many options...

What do you guys like? What works and what doesn't? I'm basically looking for reasonably priced stuff that's easy to use and will not harm my vehicles because I plan to keep these ones for a while.

Thanks!

Last edited:
There are so many good brands out there. Some things to consider;

Get two five gallon buckets and two grit guards. They will help greatly against scratches from dirty water. Get some good quality microfiber towels. A chenille wash mutt or rag is better than a sponge imo. Your car wash soap should have good lubricating properties. Most of the good ones do. I use Sonax and Optimum products but Meguairs and Mother’s are good as well.

Check out the AutoGeek and Autopia websites. They are the same ownership. They sell everything you need and their forums are full of good info. The Rag Company is a good source for microfiber and more.

I'd get the Meguiar's but also get yourself a good spray wax to use as a drying aid (spray it on just before you dry the car with a chamois).

Get a quality wash mitt and use the two bucket method (a bucket with wash water and one with rinse water so you're not reintroducing dirt to the finish) preferably with grit guards. Using this method will do more to help keep your finish in good condition than ANYTHING else you can do.

I dry with a combination of a leaf blower and an Absorber chamois.

For your situation I'd use Amazon because the ratings will give you good insight into what works best for your budget.

If you've never washed your car the first thing you need is go to the Meguires website which will recommend what you need to get or a cleaning and detailing forum and get some info. I got most of my stuff on Amazon and usually bought the kits. Cleaning your car can be as easy as a 1hr wash to an all day affair depending on how far you want to go. If you are going to invest the time, money and energy to do this start off by getting everything you need. I like Meguires stuff but when I lived in DFW I used the Chemical guys stuff and loved it (expensive). A couple of tips, consider clay baring your car, if you've never done this you will be amazed at what is stuck on the clear coat. Use the 2 bucket method, and wash a section at a time and rinse often. Keeping the wash solution clean is paramount to avoiding scratches. Do NOT ever wash you car in direct sunlight nor when its been sitting in the sun. I bought one of those 20x20 awnings for washing my car. Take you time and start from the top to the bottom. I bought several brushes to do the wheels (which you do last.) at Walmart, I think they where like 5 or 6 bucks each. Also buy good microfiber towels of different sizes. Wash them in the washing machine with a mild detergent and throw them in the dryer but do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets. And if you're short or have a tall vehicle get a sturdy step stool with slip resistant steps or put some grip tape on them. Take you time, get a cooler full of your favorite beverages, some tunes and have fun. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I use EagleOne Wash & Wax (from WallyWorld). I buy it when I rebuild my 'oil stash' for about $5 USD.
cool.gif

For a really nice finish, invest in some Paint Cleaning Clay also. But don't use expen$ive sprays to 'lubricate' the clay, just wash the car then use the same soapy water that you are using.
grin.gif

Between the two, I'd personally pick the Meguiars product. Another really good product to consider would be this Chemical Guys product which you can get on Amazon for just under $20 for a gallon.. lasts a LONG time.

PimTac has the rest right. Get two good 5-gal buckets, grit guards, and a quality chenille wash mitt. I'd also suggest a good-quality large microfiber drying towel, such as one of these or one of these.

A good drying aid (spray wax / wax-as-you-dry) is also a good idea, IMHO. I use Meguiars D156 most of the time, but I have also used others with good success, like Eagle One .

Originally Posted By: PimTac
There are so many good brands out there. Some things to consider;

Get two five gallon buckets and two grit guards. They will help greatly against scratches from dirty water. Get some good quality microfiber towels. A chenille wash mutt or rag is better than a sponge imo. Your car wash soap should have good lubricating properties. Most of the good ones do. I use Sonax and Optimum products but Meguairs and Mother’s are good as well.

Check out the AutoGeek and Autopia websites. They are the same ownership. They sell everything you need and their forums are full of good info. The Rag Company is a good source for microfiber and more.

This. Note that I don't disagree with the two bucket method I just suspect it would be a big turn off to somebody new at detailing. As far as products are concerned, I've used the Megs UW&W that the OP linked to quite a bit and really like it. These days I lean towards Megs Gold shampoo treated with a cap of ONR and then dry with a microfiber and D156...

Don’t forget your interior as well. Stay away from ArmourAll and other glossy protectant. Look for a matte or low satin finish to reduce glare. Glass, seats and panels, plastics, it all needs to be kept up.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Don’t forget your interior as well. Stay away from ArmourAll and other glossy protectant. Look for a matte or low satin finish to reduce glare. Glass, seats and panels, plastics, it all needs to be kept up.

Very true.. I personally am a big fan of 303 Aerospace Protectant. I use it on my interior, as well as on my external plastics, and even sometimes, my tires.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
@Buck91 What is the "cap of ONR" and what does it do? Thanks!

ONR is Optimum No Rinse. It is a brand of Rinse-Free car wash, but is also quite useful when added in small quantities to normal car wash, as it adds some extra lubricity and shine enhancers.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
@Buck91 What is the "cap of ONR" and what does it do? Thanks!

ONR is Optimum No Rinse.” “It is a brand of Rinse-Free car wash, but is also quite useful when added in small quantities to normal car wash, as it adds some extra lubricity and shine enhancers.”

Dittos on this suggestion. ONR is a fantastic product and can be used in so many different ways. It’s very versatile.

Last edited:
It's awesome. I use ONR Wash and Wax...it's a staple for me. Works great as Quick Detailer too...saves so much money.

Thanks for all your input guys. Sounds like that rain-x product is a no-no. I do prefer to shop at O'Reilly because I get a discount there so The Chemical Guys is out (we don't carry it, though I've heard it's awesome stuff)...

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Thanks for all your input guys. Sounds like that rain-x product is a no-no. I do prefer to shop at O'Reilly because I get a discount there so The Chemical Guys is out (we don't carry it, though I've heard it's awesome stuff)...

I just checked the O'Reilly site to see what they have. I would stick with Mother's product. Quality products at decent prices that they stand behind. They also have their clay bar kit on sale for $20.

Use Mother's shampoo on car. Rinse, wash again using the soap mixture as clay lube. Car will be shiny and smooth. The clay will remove gunk on the paint that regular washing can't remove. Use Mother's spray wax afterwards for a little extra protection. Easy peazy.

Originally Posted By: dogememe

good luck on your car cleaning journey. BTW, if you go to any serious detailing group and say that Chemical Guys is awesome stuff you will be laughed out of the group.

Notice there are two ONRs--one with wax, one without. If you're simply wanting to put some wax on the car in the easiest way possible, consider the ONR with wax. However, as others have said, spray wax is very easy to use.

Another product you might consider beyond your soap is Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish. It's a spray sealant. It takes very little effort to put on and lasts a good while. (A sealant is a synthetic top coat, or think of it as a synthetic "wax" to protect your paint finish). Spray it on, wipe it off. It is very simple to use, and a great product.

Also, if you choose to use ONR, it works best with distilled water. If your car isn't insanely dirty, you can do most cars with a gallon of distilled and one capful of ONR.

My honest opinion is the wash and wax products are gimmicky. If it were me I'd look at a quality sealant you apply ever 4-6 months depending on your climate situation. I typically stay away from store bought products and buy bulk stuff online, as it's typically a better product and cheaper that way. Not saying there's anything wrong with over the counter stuff, but I think I've had the same gallon of wash for 3 years as it mixes 1oz per 5 gallons. There's no telling how much stuff I have in my collection I use. If you want to make it a little easier, invest in a $100 electric pressure washer. Definitely knocks off the heavy grime easier.

Another brand to consider over Chemical Guys that generally can be bought at any auto parts store is Griot's Garage. Their stuff is solid. They have a quick detailer and a spray wax that would serve you well (you can apply these over a sealant or instead of a sealant).

If you are looking for one of the better over the counter soaps instead of ONR, Meguiar's Gold Class is quite good.

Groit's One Step Sealant is awesome, I use it a AIO for detailing customers. I think O'Reillys carries it. Haven't tried many of their other products.

My favorite sealant is Duragloss 111 mixed with Duragloss 601. Should last a year and it's super easy to apply. About $15 for both. I'd do that before buying spray wax. Generally spray wax might last a week or two unless it's one of the really new high tech ones, but at that point, you'd be money and time ahead doing it the "right" way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back