Ceramic coating questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I am frequently reading about ceramic coatings and seeing for myself, via videos, how good they make a vehicle look after one is completed.
Mind you, a lot of prepwork is required beforehand, which makes me wonder, if that much prep work is required beforehand, would not a good quality wax on there look just as good?

I would assume the ceramic or similar coatings real benefit is longevity and protection, which brings me to my questions.

How long does one typically last?
How do you know it is worn out?
What is required to re-do it when it is worn out?
And, as I assume, it doesn't all wear away evenly (depending on the location on the car), how do you remove those spots where it still may be in decent shape?
Also, if one chooses not to reuse/reapply it, will there be any noticeable differences in the paint or will you be able to tell that it was ever used?

Like I mentioned, I like it and I want to at least use/try it on my wife's Impala's wheels, but I also think it would look great if I had her whole car done.
Typically, if I don't feel comfortable/skilled enough to go through all the prep work that is required, how much could I expect to pay to have someone do this for me?

Thanks in advance.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I know Duragloss offers a $50 package. One product is the coating while the other one is the prep solution. I really don't buy into the while perfection thing with a daily driver. I'd rather focus on keeping it clean, contaminate free and protected. I've seen way too many clear coats fail on darker colors mostly. And I know many of them were compounded. So I wonder how that compromised the clear coat.

https://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-envrioshield-coating-system.html

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I know Duragloss offers a $50 package. One product is the coating while the other one is the prep solution. I really don't buy into the while perfection thing with a daily driver. I'd rather focus on keeping it clean, contaminate free and protected. I've seen way too many clear coats fail on darker colors mostly. And I know many of them were compounded. So I wonder how that compromised the clear coat.

https://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-envrioshield-coating-system.html

I always wondered/thought that myself. It seems, and it only makes sense, imo, that if you are compounding, especially with a buffer, you are going to remove paint, and since most cars are clear coated, that is the layer, or some of it, that is being removed.

Thanks SS, that sounds like a nice, inexpensive kit and I am also glad to see, not all that prep work is required too!

With that kit, would you also use IPA after the prep or is what is in the kit enough?

Last edited:
With a very good prep before the lsp, either a wax or a coating will shine. In general the coating will last much longer than a wax. How long depends on a lot of variables like climate, exposure etc.

A sealant will also provide longer protection than wax but not as long as a coating. A big problem is that the lines are being blurred between these products. Some wax’s have sealant properties.

Autopia and Autogeek are both excellent sources of info. Their forums are easy to go through and find many answers to your questions.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
With a very good prep before the lsp, either a wax or a coating will shine. In general the coating will last much longer than a wax. How long depends on a lot of variables like climate, exposure etc.

A sealant will also provide longer protection than wax but not as long as a coating. A big problem is that the lines are being blurred between these products. Some wax’s have sealant properties.

Autopia and Autogeek are both excellent sources of info. Their forums are easy to go through and find many answers to your questions.

Thanks, PimTac, I was a member once at Autopia but I found out recently I am no longer registered under the new ownership. I may rejoin sometime?

Any ideas/thoughts on more of my questions above? I would really like to know some of those before I even think about using a ceramic coating.

Originally Posted By: irv
With that kit, would you also use IPA after the prep or is what is in the kit enough?

With that kit I'd prob skip the IPA. The owners of the company are two brothers that are chemists. If a polish was used prior then an IPA wipe down would be good but still prob not needed at all.

Prob the Collinite 845 that you use is perfectly fine for annual protection. Then I would do maintenenace washes with Duragloss shampoo with their Aquawax as a protection booster and/or drying aid. I love Aquawax, great scent too!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Thanks, PimTac, I was a member once at Autopia but I found out recently I am no longer registered under the new ownership. I may rejoin sometime?

Any ideas/thoughts on more of my questions above? I would really like to know some of those before I even think about using a ceramic coating.

I think we commented some time back on the Autopia thing. I was not a member but their forums have all but gone silent. I wondered what happened?

I have never considered coatings. Since I don’t have a garage, just a carport, I stick with wax or sealants. Since I’m retired I have the time to keep up with the car maintenance much easier than before.

For me, and just my opinion, a sealant gives the best bang for the buck with the added ease of application. Coatings can be finicky depending on the brand and application environment. With a sealant I can apply say twice a year and in between use a spray wax like Optimum to give a bit more protection and more depth to the paint. Using the spray wax as you dry really cuts down the time spent. The sealant application can happen in the spring and in the fall just before winter kicks in.

irv,

I recently gave the Matrix a much needed wash at the local self serv wash. Only $2 for a high pressure wash to get all the salt spray off. Then sprayed it with Ultima waterless wash and wipe with a plush MF towel. Last step, spray and wipe with Duragloss Aquawax. I was very pleased with the results. Easy, yet love the finished product.

Early June it will get a good annual detail along with the Camry.
thumbsup2.gif

To answer on the cost of having it done, that can vary between detailers. I think several hundred to $1500 is a range that is likely. For the average guy is it worth it? I’ll let you answer that.

One thing the internet is good for is searching for videos and reviews on products. If you decide to try a coating yourself, go with one of the easier ones. Gyeon CanCoat first comes to mind. It may not be as durable as a full fledged coating but then you won’t have the difficulty of application that some coatings have. It is also relatively inexpensive as well. Here is a link to a YouTube about CanCoat.

https://youtu.be/yKCC76DIKhE

Installed CQUK on my civic couple a weeks ago. The hardest part was to correct the paint. Application is not bad at all although a bit tricky. Car looks awesome and oh my how easy it is to clean the paint. As far as removal goes you’ll have to compound/polish it. But this would the step you wouldn’t skip anyways. In general, it definitely is worth installing ceramic coating.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Installed CQUK on my civic couple a weeks ago. The hardest part was to correct the paint. Application is not bad at all although a bit tricky. Car looks awesome and oh my how easy it is to clean the paint. As far as removal goes you’ll have to compound/polish it. But this would the step you wouldn’t skip anyways. In general, it definitely is worth installing ceramic coating.

I may look into it further, but at the same time, with time constraints, I may just carry on with using Collinites 845 Insulator wax for the time being?
I would like to get some for my wife's wheels however, so that might just be a good place to start/learn before I go gungho on doing the rest of the car?

Thanks for tips/info, guys, I appreciate it.
cheers3.gif

I have been real happy with the Zaino sealants for several yrs. They look great and hold up well. I just got an ad from Autogeek with 25% off the Pinnacle Black label products. I bought the Ceramic coating and cleaning polish that preps for it. The other day I was filling my Harley and the pump didn't shut off and ran gas all over the left side. I washed the bike and tried the Pinnacle. The cleaning prep product was very easy to use. Doesn't dry white. The bike had a recent coat of the Zaino. Then I sprayed on the coating and spread it with a foam applicator. Then buffed it immediately. I just did the tank. It's only been a few days but the tank is very shiny and smooth. I'm hoping it will provide more protection from gas spills.
Note: the 14 Ultra's tank has some kind of baffle in the fill neck that prevents you from filling the tank up. Therefore when you try to get closer to Full, you take the chance of overspill.

Well I just watched the video and I didn't do all that stuff that he did. My finish was in good shape with a recent coat of Zaino sealant. I just needed to clean the Zaino off. It was a one step polish/cleaner and one step application of coating. Said to avoid moisture for 12 hrs. My bike's color is similar to his BMW and looks just as glossy.

I have Opti-Coat Pro Plus on all my vehicles. Had it professionally installed a few years ago and have been extremely happy with it. I will definitely have it added to any future vehicle purchases.

I have Opti-Coat Pro as well. Been on my Durango for 3.5 yrs. Still acts like it was just applied.

I choose the coating because I dont like waxing, but I wanted to keep it looking nice. I had the entire vehicle done, including the windows. Water still runs right off everything. It was expensive, but I have never put wax, or anything else on the vehicle. Most of the cost came from prep and paint correction. I had a higher end detailer shop do all the work. Apparently its warrantied for life.

I laughed at the video when I saw that it offers 1 year protection BUT you have to use a very mild soap AND spritz with a "booster".

How is that different from applying Meguiars ultimate paste wax and spritzing with ultimate spray wax every month as a "boost"
?

LOL!. If you're going to do it, got with the professional version like Opti-coat

I had my NSX done last year. They use CQuartz Pro. It is wonderful stuff. I drive this car regularly. I track it. I took it from Houston to Wisconsin and back. The coating held up just fine for a year, when I had it done again on principle. This time they used two coats of some other ceramic product and it looks even better and will supposedly last even longer. I didn't do anything except wash it with soap and water in the meantime.

After the first job: https://imgur.com/a/5E4aC

My car got Opti-Coat Pro 3 years ago, and it still protects the paint really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back