Home

Engine bay detail

Posted By: Brolly

Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:14 AM

I performed a quick detail on the Camry tonight. Would like to see others engine bay details. What do you all use? How often do you perform a engine bay detail?
Posted By: bbhero

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:18 AM

Looks good. What did you use?? I've never detailed the engine compartment of my lady's 98 Camry. This does look nice indeed. Energizer battery?? Who makes them I wonder ??

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:30 AM

Degreaser and a shine spray product. Degreaser is applied and allowed to set for a few mins before rinsing heavily. I then use a air compressor and blow dry the engine bay. I then allow a little more time to dry then spray the shine product and let if set in for awhile before driving.

I think Johnson Control makes Energizer Car Batteries. But I did get it at Sams.
Posted By: Merkava_4

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:31 AM

I use Stoner's Trim Shine when I do mine.
Posted By: E150GT

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:31 AM

I love a good engine bay detail. I used to use a product called CD2 engine bay detailer but it seems it is no longer available. I now wash the engine with a light foaming engine cleaner and water and follow up with a nice coating of 303 aerospace conditioner. Looks good. Mostly cause my engine is covered in plastic.

mazda by JOHN, on Flickr

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:40 AM

Heres another of my wife's car. I opened the hood and got anxiety and had to clean it even though I hate that car so much. I think it turned out great.
This is painful to look at by JOHN, on Flickr

The fruit of thy labor. by JOHN, on Flickr
Posted By: Trav

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:41 AM

Looks great. I am guilty of being a little lax with my own cars. The mechanics car is always the last one to get fixed.

This is one I did on a Honda I repaired and sold. I used VLR after a thorough cleaning with krud kutter

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:43 AM

Looks good. How long does the conditioner hold up?

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Heres another of my wife's car. I opened the hood and got anxiety and had to clean it even though I hate that car so much. I think it turned out great.
This is painful to look at by JOHN, on Flickr

The fruit of thy labor. by JOHN, on Flickr

Im freaking on the first picture. I could never ever let that happen to one of mine lol nice after picture

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Trav
Looks great. I am guilty of being a little lax with my own cars. The mechanics car is always the last one to get fixed.

This is one I did on a Honda I repaired and sold. I used VLR after a thorough cleaning with krud kutter

Looks like it came off the showroom

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:49 AM

I cant say how long the 303 lasts to be honest. I know i learned I like washing and then I take my leaf blower and dry the engine bay real good. I then soak a rag in the 303 and lightly wipe everything because it tends to goop up in hard to reach places that accumulate too much of it.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:55 AM

I dont have a before and after engine bay but I do have a full inside detail I performed of a recent trade in at the dealership I work at.

Before

After

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Brolly
I dont have a before and after engine bay but I do have a full inside detail I performed of a recent trade in at the dealership I work at.

how can anyone let their car get that filthy? Also how can anyone trade that in? I'd be embarrassed. When I used to smoke I would smoke in my old mazda 3 and it would look like it snowed in there Then the ashes would get ground into the uphostery and look terrible. It drove me crazy enough to stop smoking in there and then quit eventually. Not because of me, but because of my car. sad, I know.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:02 AM

I cant say how long the 303 lasts to be honest. I know i learned I like washing and then I take my leaf blower and dry the engine bay real good. I then soak a rag in the 303 and lightly wipe everything because it tends to goop up in hard to reach places that accumulate too much of it.

Im guessing its in a spray form? Pretty quick dry time? Have you tried it on the tires and if so there any flinging from the tires onto the car?
Posted By: Kibitoshin

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:11 AM

I've always degreased and cleaned the engine bay in the trucks but didn't bother to use a protectant or detailer. I'm worried about dirt clinging to the surfaces making it look much more worse.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:12 AM

how can anyone let their car get that filthy? Also how can anyone trade that in? I'd be embarrassed. When I used to smoke I would smoke in my old mazda 3 and it would look like it snowed in there Then the ashes would get ground into the uphostery and look terrible. It drove me crazy enough to stop smoking in there and then quit eventually. Not because of me, but because of my car. sad, I know.

You have no idea what people leave in the car. Floor covered in trash, toys, money, glasses, ammo, 17 air freshener trees on the dash, food who knows how old, cds and jewelry.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:15 AM

Im guessing its in a spray form? Pretty quick dry time? Have you tried it on the tires and if so there any flinging from the tires onto the car?

Yes its spray form. It wont sling everywhere. I imagine it would work great for tires although I dont think it would keep its looks very long.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
I've always degreased and cleaned the engine bay in the trucks but didn't bother to use a protectant or detailer. I'm worried about dirt clinging to the surfaces making it look much more worse.

Man Im loving seeing these nice clean engine bays nicely done Kibitoshin

What I have noticed with the protective spray is yes you see dirt when it does show up but all you do is spray it off with water and ur good no need to spray the product everytime. The degreaser usually wont take it off unless you leave it on for a long time.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

nice brake fluid. Ive opened a lot of hoods of people's cars and seen what looks like coffee in the reservoir. On my truck, the reservoir was so dirty I just replaced it.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:24 AM

Nice catch that is a pretty dang clean brake fluid reservoir.
Posted By: cashmoney

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:26 AM

Some people are pigs , plain and simple. You can tell a lot about a person by checking out the interior of their car. A dirty, disorganized and trashed car interior is usually reflective of most other aspects of the owner's life in general. Car interior's wear over time and that is 100% understandable, but there is zero excuse for a driving around in a dirty trashed car interior.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:33 AM

My grandmother used to say How you keep your car is how you keep yourself.
I bought my dads old F150 that he had for 15 years and I swear he never cleaned or washed it. It had years of coffee on the dash and dirt from going to the ranch for years. I found receipts from 2009 in there. I cant get it perfect, and I wont because its not worth it really, but it's many times cleaner than its been since he got it. Luckily, he changed the oil pretty regularly, but thats about it. I'll say this, some people just dont give a darn about their car. My dad for example has a clean home and his real hobby is tropical fish and birds. Those bird cages and fish tanks look nice. His 2013 F150? not so, but it also has a light colored interior which doesnt help.
Posted By: 901Memphis

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:37 AM

I've never owned a nice or new enough car to try this.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:42 AM

I am liking this thread too much. Here is my 2010 mazda 3 I was able to dig up. This is with 71k miles on it.I think this was using the CD2 engine detailer

upload by JOHN, on Flickr
Posted By: gregk24

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:45 AM

That is horrendous. It's hard for me to imagine the type of person that would let this happen.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:46 AM

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Some people are pigs , plain and simple. You can tell a lot about a person by checking out the interior of their car. A dirty, disorganized and trashed car interior is usually reflective of most other aspects of the owner's life in general. Car interior's wear over time and that is 100% understandable, but there is zero excuse for a driving around in a dirty trashed car interior.

+1!
Posted By: Nick1994

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:56 AM

Looks great. Quite a bit cleaner under the hood than my Camry. And mine isn't too bad. At least I don't think so, I haven't driven it in over a month.
Posted By: ClarkSuper100

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 09:41 AM

Wow, that is some transformation! Looks amazing.

Like you, I like to keep my engine bay clean and shiny. I used to work at a dealership many years ago, and although it's just a feeling, I think that mechanics appreciate and respect a well cared for car. When mine goes in the shop it is clean and waxed and the engine bay looking near new. I get compliments from the service advisors to the mechanics, which is nice, especially when you are driving a 12 year old car.
Posted By: mjoekingz28

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 10:01 AM

E150GT,

Thanks, underhood before and afters are so cool.

Good point Brolly. After a time or two of protectant, just using plain water or a water bottle with a few drops of car soap is probably best.
Posted By: Trav

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 10:47 AM

Very nice work! thumbsup

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 01:39 PM

I am liking this thread too much. Here is my 2010 mazda 3 I was able to dig up. This is with 71k miles on it.I think this was using the CD2 engine detailer

upload by JOHN, on Flickr

Soo clean clean. Nice job E150GT

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: cashmoney

I use to have a manager that would interview people and after the interview he would walk them out and look in their car to see how clean it was.
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 01:50 PM

Nice work!

I did mine in the spring. Light cleaning and topped it off with 303.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 01:55 PM

Quick job on the 08 Liberty. The 303 seems to hold up pretty well.

Posted By: JHZR2

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 02:05 PM

I keep the inside and paint very well, but generally avoid detailing underhood. All i need is to ruin an electric component... is that unnecessary fear?

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I keep the inside and paint very well, but generally avoid detailing underhood. All i need is to ruin an electric component... is that unnecessary fear?

Not really unnecessary fear, it will keep you out of trouble if you do decide to clean the engine. I mask off things I don't want to soak with water. A little care and common sense, and a few extra minutes will assure you that you're not going to have any problems.
Posted By: Doublehaul

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 02:22 PM

Depending on the car wash I use either the engine cleaner setting or the tire cleaner setting and blast with the rinse. Engines always look brand new regardless of milage.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 02:40 PM

I once drove my old 1982 Mercedes diesel through an automated car wash and as soon as the undercarriage spray went on my alternator light turned on and it was toast. No telling how old it was then. I've also experienced wet wires on my truck that caused hesitation after washing the engine but that cleared up.
My rule is to never use high pressure water spray and if something is being stubborn, use a brush to clean over pressure from water.
Posted By: Doublehaul

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 02:51 PM

if high pressure spray causes any issues, the car has underlie problems. Modern vehicles are tested against pressure spray and use the most effective sealed connectors available...generally hesitation afterwords is caused by a faulty coil, failing wire arching out etc.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
if high pressure spray causes any issues, the car has underlie problems. Modern vehicles are tested against pressure spray and use the most effective sealed connectors available...generally hesitation afterwords is caused by a faulty coil, failing wire arching out etc.

perhaps that is correct but I dont use high pressure because why take a chance with damaging something expensive when low pressure will do? Two of my cars are over 22 years old. One is 34 years old. The wiring is not in the same shape it used to be when new. Theres not a ton of electrical on my mercedes due to it being diesel, but the vacuum lines are important and the same with my truck. I dont want to disturb a vacuum line and cause any issue that are hard to find.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:38 PM

Keep the photos coming. Looks like 303 works well. Might have to get some for myself
Posted By: SatinSilver

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 03:57 PM

I cleaned the engine bay in the Matrix and Camry for the first time in 12 yrs/5yrs since they were filthy. So much better having a clean bay to check fluids levels/top offs/work on etc. Afterwards it was a pleasant surprise popping the hood and seeing a clean engine bay. Used some Gunk HD degreaser that was so-so. When it warms up I will use some Fantastic Scrubbing Bubbles HD APC for $3. I saw a thread on the Accord forum about it and looks pretty impressive. I'll post a link later unless someone does a google search for, "driveaccord.net engine bay cleaning fantastic scrubbing bubbles".

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:35 PM

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/18-mai...s/429681?page=1

That is pretty good cleaning. Never would of thought using that product for that application. I will try it on a really bad trade in and show the before and after.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 04:48 PM

Great and thanks for posting. There are a number of different Scrubbing Bubbles products so I would only get the one mentioned. Esp, don't want one with bleach in it.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 05:20 PM

Agreed no bleach. I might do half the engine bay with degreaser and then rinse that side then apply fantastic bubbles to other side then rinse and see the difference
Posted By: Delta

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 10:37 PM

This was after a quick wipedown with Zep's Purple Degreaser and dressed with Meguiars All Season Dressing on the old Jetta. Been using the stuff for years; it goes a long ways. I think I've had the same gallon for a couple years.

Don't forget to clean the hood too folks! Really helps to add a coat of wax.

Unfortunately the GTI has a hood insulator, so not much to detail there... I generally don't like to spray any water under the hood. It's more of a PITA, but I'll use an old microfiber and old detail brushes to get them clean.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 10:58 PM

This is what happens to the 303 after a couple months
mazda2 by JOHN, on Flickr

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 11:16 PM

I cleaned the engine bay on the Accord today. I never let it get too dirty to begin with so its never much of a chore to clean. I simply sprayed on a warm water / dish soap mixture, let it dwell for a minute or two then used a clean cotton hand towel to agitate the dirt and grime. Then I hosed everything down and dried with an electric leaf blower followed by a light application of 303.

Posted By: Shellguy

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/16/17 11:32 PM

Nice job you guys! i have ideas for my engine bay just keep throwing your choices for chemicals out there...great read!

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/17/17 12:59 AM

A garden hose in not necessary. A pressure washer opens up many doors to stupidity. If you are smart and have the preparation, and restraint then I guess you could pressure wash it. But you probably should know where to spray, is the engine hot or cold, how close can you get, how to dry it afterwards, any water left that can puddle up and cause rust on down the line, etc, etc

Using a hose or pressure washer ONLY (IMO) speeds things up. If you don't use a heavy hand or erratic motions then you are almost set. Know which chemicals are ok. Dont be careless and bump into delicated fuel and electronic connectors and such. So, if you just use cloths and spray bottles you can eliminate some of the danger of water.

If you have time just put on some safety glasses, pop the hood and get a water dampened soft cloth (microfiber) and clean. Then, maybe add some drops of car soap to the bottle......then a little armor all here and there. Wax the painted areas, grease or oil on moving metals. Just don't mess up, get in a hurry, be too rough, use the wrong chemicals!
Posted By: Kibitoshin

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/17/17 03:41 AM

Liking these clean engine pics. Whenever I bring in a vehicle for maintenance or repair I give the engine bay a quick clean with engine degreaser, simple green and a good water nozzle. Especially after valve cover gasket replacements the engine smells clean and not reeking of burnt oil.
Posted By: Garak

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/17/17 06:35 AM

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
A garden hose in not necessary. A pressure washer opens up many doors to stupidity. If you are smart and have the preparation, and restraint then I guess you could pressure wash it. But you probably should know where to spray, is the engine hot or cold, how close can you get, how to dry it afterwards, any water left that can puddle up and cause rust on down the line, etc, etc

Exactly. It can work if one is careful. It reminds me of a fellow I knew some years back with an old Mazda truck, rusting away, but he'd pressure wash under the hood every couple weeks. Each time he did it, he wouldn't cover the distributor, and he'd be waiting half an hour to an hour to get the thing going again, and even then, only with a major fight.

The amount of time he spent waiting and trying compressed air and air in a can, he could have collected enough bottles on the side of the road to pay for a new distributor cap. wink
Posted By: stang5

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/17/17 08:42 PM

I detailed my engine at 1am this morning, couldn't sleep. I've never sprayed water to clean the motor instead, I use Air blaster blower first to blow the dust and sand off and then I wipe everything down with Meguiars APC mixed with a bucket of water.
Posted By: ChrisD46

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/17/17 11:45 PM

I would love to learn how to clean an engine bay / engine safely - I'm just concerned I would be ignorant and end up getting water in somewhere I shouldn't ! I'm sure I'm not alone ...

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/18/17 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I would love to learn how to clean an engine bay / engine safely - I'm just concerned I would be ignorant and end up getting water in somewhere I shouldn't ! I'm sure I'm not alone ...

Just be gentle with the water. Does not need to be a pressure washer. Heck water in a spray bottle would work and just do a section at a time with a tag.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/18/17 11:47 AM

crazy sigh i meant rag

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/18/17 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: stang5
I detailed my engine at 1am this morning, couldn't sleep. I've never sprayed water to clean the motor instead, I use Air blaster blower first to blow the dust and sand off and then I wipe everything down with Meguiars APC mixed with a bucket of water.

Loving the Mustang
Posted By: 4WD

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/18/17 11:49 AM

A famous person once asked if you wipe a computer server with those wink

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/18/17 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: stang5

Loving the Mustang

Nice!

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/18/17 12:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

Use common sense, and care and you'll be fine. Use as little water and as little pressure as needed to get the job done. Wrap anything you're afraid of getting water into with plastic wrap and duct tape. Lots of how to's on the web, it isn't hard. If the engine is fairly clean already you can do it with rags and your favorite cleaning product, and no hose at all. I tape off the coil packs [if possible] if I'm going to use the hose, and avoid spraying water at them. I'd rather not get water down the tubes.
Posted By: aquariuscsm

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/18/17 05:12 PM

Here's mine freshly detailed:

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/18/17 06:32 PM

^^ Looks good. What did you dress it with?
Posted By: FastEddie

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/18/17 10:39 PM

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/18/17 11:36 PM

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
^^ Looks good. What did you dress it with?

I just used Eagle One Nano Wax. Makes a perfect shine that's just right,plus adds a great barrier of protection that wont attract dirt and dust like all the protectants and dressings do.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/18/17 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: FastEddie

Man GOOD job!

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/19/17 12:28 AM

Posted By: Vikas

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/19/17 05:19 PM

FastEddie, please tell us the material, steps and the time involved between before and after pictures. I especially like how it looks natural rather than coming out from a used car parking lot.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/20/17 08:24 AM

When I bought a used vehicle from a large used car lot - the whole engine bay was sprayed with some sort of shiny glaze of some sort ... Any idea what was used ?

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/20/17 10:51 AM

ChrisD46,

I've seen something like it before on a car a test drove years ago. It looked like someone emptied a can of tire shine under the hood.

Nice work FastEddie, Are you a professional?
Posted By: PolarisX

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/21/17 12:55 AM

Light low pressure rinse and a soft microfiber once in awhile. That is all.

I don't like anything shiny under the hood that attracts dust.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/21/17 11:21 AM

Exactly !!
ChrisD46,

I've seen something like it before on a car a test drove years ago. It looked like someone emptied a can of tire shine under the hood.

Posted By: Ducked

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/21/17 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I especially like how it looks natural rather than coming out from a used car parking lot.

Doesn't look natural to me. Looks like a violation of the second law of thermodynamics.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/21/17 06:40 PM

Yes, he is. If you click on his profile, then posts by user, then threads by user you will see some of his work.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/22/17 01:12 AM

I'm guilty of using a lot of products under the hood. And it can take a lot to clean an engine bay that is a decade old with over 100,000 miles. But, if you pop the hood once in a while and start fresh then you probably do not need much more than a nice cloth and water because the sun and UV rays don't get to the engine bay.

It's quite amazing. I used to think heat did all the destruction of an automobile, but there is something in the sun's light/rays that not only feeds the plant's chlorophyll, but also dulls and dries out a lot of things.

yes, SatinSilver.. As soon as I posted that, I clicked on his profile and saw his occupation is a detailer. I thought you were going to be snotty about it when you were saying ".....then posts by user," but then you said something helpful instead of 'those' people who say let me google that for you. So....thank you Sir!

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/22/17 11:49 AM

All looking good!!!! Im going to pop the hood on the camry and see how mich that shine spray collected dust in this Oklahoma wind.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/22/17 10:35 PM

this is a new trade in
Before

Compressed air only

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/22/17 10:37 PM

Water only

Degreaser soak

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/22/17 10:37 PM

Looks like a Honda Accord F23?

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/22/17 10:42 PM

Degreaser rinsed

Very light application of vinyl spray

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/22/17 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Looks like a Honda Accord F23?

Correct looks clean in the engine from what i can tell

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/22/17 10:49 PM

Nice, any pics of the exterior? I used to have one for 9.5 years, good car.

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/22/17 10:52 PM

It looks like a golf ball its been hailed on pretty good but it will make a nice car for someone

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/22/17 11:02 PM

Don't have to worry about door dings! laugh

What color is the atf?

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/22/17 11:08 PM

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/23/17 04:09 PM

Thanks doesn't look too bad, thank goodness it's not black as midnight.
Posted By: ls1mike

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/26/17 03:27 AM

My two favorites.
2000 Trans Am WS6. 68,000 miles. Business end of 424 RWHP without N2O. smile

2014 Caprice. 24,500 miles. Based off 1/4 mile time and MPH I would say 320-330 to wheels. No dyno on this one yet
Posted By: PolarisX

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/26/17 04:17 PM

A good friend of mine had a 2000s SLP Camero and it was a blast. Had some issues with the clutch master. Something about the lines being too small or flexing? Can't remember. Sometimes it made shifting difficult, but someone had a kit to fix it. I think we did the knock sensors and harness and that was about it.

Really nice cars.
Posted By: ls1mike

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/26/17 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: PolarisX
A good friend of mine had a 2000s SLP Camero and it was a blast. Had some issues with the clutch master. Something about the lines being too small or flexing? Can't remember. Sometimes it made shifting difficult, but someone had a kit to fix it. I think we did the knock sensors and harness and that was about it.

Really nice cars.

Yep both pretty common. The clutch line had like an orifice that you could drill out or get a new one. All mine got a new line.
Knock sensors are pretty common in all LSx platforms. Other than that they are rock solid.

Love my T56.
Posted By: MCompact

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/27/17 02:48 AM

Before and after of my old Mazdaspeed 3:

And a shot of the M42 in my Club Sport; and yes, I know it needs a MUCH more thorough detailing:
Posted By: Bear

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/29/17 01:39 PM

Nice work guys. I can't wait for the weather to turn here so I can get going on my truck. I did take advantage of the good weather we got Monday and cleaned (and dressed) my wheels and tires. It's a start.
Posted By: Hollow

Re: Engine bay detail - 03/29/17 02:37 PM

On the car that spent 12 years outdoors in Chicago, the engine bay is now more rusty hardware than anything else, so detailing looks odd.

These days it gets a spray from the presoak/degreaser setting from the car wash, a pass with the soap setting on low pressure, and a low pressure rinse from the wand. A few minutes driving around has the engine bay dry again.
Posted By: Mr_Joe

Re: Engine bay detail - 05/12/17 10:03 AM

Good stuff. I'm setting up to clean a few engine bays.
Posted By: Michael_P

Re: Engine bay detail - 05/12/17 03:56 PM

I don't know why, but every time I see all these clean and shiny engines, it puts a smile on my face. Love the pix.
Posted By: SilverSnake

Re: Engine bay detail - 05/14/17 12:55 AM

The key is to never let them get dirty. At every wash I carefully vacuum the engine compartment with the crevice tool followed by the brush. I then hand detail every square inch with detail spray on the metal and 303 on the plastic. Does not take long and engine compartments always look good.

Re: Engine bay detail - 05/14/17 11:05 AM

A clean engine makes detecting leaks and working on the vehicle a lot easier.
Posted By: Tempest

Re: Engine bay detail - 05/18/17 11:44 PM

I've had good luck with 303 on the engine parts. It's very slick so dirt doesn't adhere, and the engine can be cleaned with just a strong solution of car soap (Gold Class @ 32:1)and a hose. Didn't even have to reapply the 303 after a year.

APC or stronger cleaners will remove it.
Posted By: SilverSnake

Re: Engine bay detail - 05/19/17 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I've had good luck with 303 on the engine parts. It's very slick so dirt doesn't adhere, and the engine can be cleaned with just a strong solution of car soap (Gold Class @ 32:1)and a hose. Didn't even have to reapply the 303 after a year. APC or stronger cleaners will remove it.

Yep. Despite what some of the so called "experts" on this forum say, the stuff is amazing.

Re: Engine bay detail - 05/19/17 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I've had good luck with 303 on the engine parts. It's very slick so dirt doesn't adhere, and the engine can be cleaned with just a strong solution of car soap (Gold Class @ 32:1)and a hose. Didn't even have to reapply the 303 after a year.

APC or stronger cleaners will remove it.

I had good luck with it too.

Re: Engine bay detail - 05/19/17 02:49 AM

Re: Engine bay detail - 05/19/17 02:51 AM

Re: Engine bay detail - 05/19/17 02:55 AM

Posted By: buster

Re: Engine bay detail - 11/15/19 02:50 PM

I'm at the end of my quest for streamlining engine bay detailing.

In the last 4 months I've been testing the following products:

1. Polish Angel Engine
2. Meguiar's Hyper Dressing
3. I Rubber Wax
4. 303 Aerospace
5. Meguiar's Quik Clean Interior

I have found the best engine bay dressing is 303 Aero and Hyper-Dressing. 303 leaves a really nice matte finish that doesn't attract dust. I tried the Infinity Rubber Wax and while it's excellent for exterior trim due to it's hydrophobic quality, it attracts a lot of dirt and dust. Hyper-Dressing is my second favorite diluted at 5:1. Leaves a really nice non sticky finish as well and you just spray and go.

Going forward I'll be sticking with 303 for engine bay detailing. I'm also going to be using a Hydroshot with distilled water to clean and a Metro Master Blaster Sidekick or Big Boi hand held dryer. These dryers can also remove the initial debris within the engine bay prior to hitting it with water. I've also found that using a 50/50 isopropyl/distilled water spray really pre-cleans plastic well.

Meguiar's Quik Clean Interior is also excellent on the inside and even engine bay for cleaning the plastic. If you like the look of plastics without anything, I recommend that.

I left a review of Polish Angel Engine on Esoteric but it wasn't posted, probably because it wasn't that favorable. Polish Angel Engine is a really nice product, but the main purpose of it is when you don't want to use any water at all. They use it in high end cars like Ferrari's etc. For those cars that's a great product. However, I pointed out to them that I don't like the idea of rubber dirty into the plastic as you clean it, which is how you use that product. I can see it possibly leaving fine scratches on the plastic.

Re: Engine bay detail - 11/15/19 03:05 PM

Posted By: Villalobos

Re: Engine bay detail - 01/10/20 07:56 PM

Ounce of prevention and all that. I use damp microfiber and follow up with Mother’s VLR. I diy oil change, and finish each one of my vehicles with a wipe down of the engine.

Attached picture 26370AA6-4D0C-421F-9305-5FE37D2B9E2F.jpeg

Re: Engine bay detail - 01/10/20 08:04 PM

^nice. That's the way to do it. Just wipe it down periodically like you did and hit the plastic with something like VLR etc.

Re: Engine bay detail - 01/10/20 08:20 PM

This is just periodic wipe downs using Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Malo83

Re: Engine bay detail - 01/10/20 09:17 PM

Nice! Cheers2
Posted By: harry j

Re: Engine bay detail - 02/01/20 01:54 AM

[Linked Image]

This Civic now has over 569,000 miles on it.

Re: Engine bay detail - 02/01/20 11:52 AM

^^ Very nice work!!
Posted By: D1dad

Re: Engine bay detail - 02/01/20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by E150GT

Originally Posted by E150GT
Originally Posted by Brolly
I love 303 but man is it expensive.

I’ve got a sister who probably has chicken nuggets that are as old as the car crammed in her seats and her cars an 06
Posted By: D1dad

Re: Engine bay detail - 02/01/20 12:21 PM

Meanwhile my engines look like a pig wallered around under the hoods. The last time I detailed my engine was a 94 Lincoln Mark 8 and after I did it the car ran like crap! Haven’t done one since.

Re: Engine bay detail - 02/02/20 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by harry j
[Linked Image]

This Civic now has over 569,000 miles on it.

Nice!! Impressive, especially for the mileage.
Posted By: Amkeer

Re: Engine bay detail - 02/02/20 02:10 PM

Man I thought my engine bay was clean! Wow!
Posted By: GMBoy

Re: Engine bay detail - 02/10/20 04:39 AM

I don't like the wet super shiny look in my engine compartment. I always wipe down after I spray so it is more of a natural satin clean look. After cleaning, I spray tire foam then wipe down. It doesn't seem to attract all the dust as a wet to the touch shiny product will.

Re: Engine bay detail - 02/11/20 02:30 AM

^ Same. All I do now is wipe it down with MG Quik Interior Cleaner or a very matte finish spray.
Posted By: kstanf150

Re: Engine bay detail - 02/11/20 02:41 AM

Best engine cleaner is a can of scrubbing bubbles shower spray
Coat a warm engine with the cleaning spray let it soak for about 5 minutes and hose off

It will look brand new
© 2020 Bob Is The Oil Guy