Interesting test about motor oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i find these tests. If someone wants to read...
smile.gif

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fbb9qtL-yWlzDPLzvxzpF01gRRtH8fKxeVtXt6HPpgg/edit#gid=0
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J4yGGQQnIX7gZIfT3ga2qJatRfdmFgmaNPLqpmrxQnE/edit#gid=0

Shame that M1 0w-40 New life is discontinued nowdays...

I use Mobil 1 FS 0w40, since specs are great, and cost is very cheap for what it is.

New Life cost 50%+ more for guys to run a year.

I'm coming upon 7k miles and 7 years with FS 0w40 on a Mazda, so I'll change and get uoa.

Is there any supplementary info on what the test is? I'm guessing the measurements are wear scar diameters maybe?

Sorry about delay, i searched online and its scars in metal. This guy have youtube channel "PiotrTester".

Im not saying that its perfect testing, but its something...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: puliukk0
Sorry about delay, i searched online and its scars in metal. This guy have youtube channel "PiotrTester".

smile.gif

If it is like any of the other... "testing" of motor oils using a wear scar machine, then it is not something at all.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: puliukk0

smile.gif

If it is like any of the other... "testing" of motor oils using a wear scar machine, then it is not something at all.

Sorry im bit noob. Can you tell more about better tests? I know that scar machine aint real motor... But are these scar things like nothing?

It’s not a valid test because it doesn’t represent the environment oil actually operates in. Additives don’t activate without some heat, oil isn’t pressurized etc etc.
If the oil claims dexos1 gen2 it has passed a battery of tests designed by OEM to make sure the oil will perform as needed inside an engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back