2018 Civic SI, 26,027 on car 3,256 on RL 0W-20

Note: Car has had two different +6 psi tunes during this interval

Sample 4: This sample Redline 0w-20 (New NAPA Gold Oil and Air Filters)
Sample 3: Redline 5W-30
Sample 2: Redline 5W-30
Sample 1: Mobil1 0W-20

Mainly posting this as a courtesy, I don't drop by here much

Prior Sample

[Linked Image]

Looks good. Iron is pretty consistent and Al trended down to 0.

What's interesting to me is the fuel dilution #. Mobil 1 0w20, due to have more VII's, lost more of its viscosity than the very shear stable RL. However, wear doesn't seem to be impacted by the drop in viscosity.

The oxidation reading is due to the high POE content of RL.

Originally Posted by buster
Looks good. Iron is pretty consistent and Al trended down to 0.

What's interesting to me is the fuel dilution #. Mobil 1 0w20, due to have more VII's, lost more of its viscosity than the very shear stable RL. However, wear doesn't seem to be impacted by the drop in viscosity.

The oxidation reading is due to the high POE content of RL.

Agreed. I am surprised by how well the RL performed from a viscosity retention standpoint.

Per Redline, the high moly and esters mitigate the LSPI risk in GDI engines. I'd stick with the Redline 0w20. It's going to retain its viscosity better.

Doesn't RL 0W-20 start off with a substantially greater HTHS number than most other 20's? I'd say that alone would facilitate viscosity retention.

Screenshot_20200510-064922_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200510-065238_Drive.jpg

thumbsup2.gif

Viscosity retention has a lot to due with the base oils and lack of VII's. RL is a unique, potent oil with a lot of POE. Extremely shear stable and will keep an engine clean.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Might go back to Redline 0w20 in my next Honda GDi. But might use the 0w30RL after I add some parts and up the boost.

Why wouldn't you use a mid SAPS Redline Euro 5w-30? Less moly for reduces back side of valve coking and low noack, and I would assume lower ash too. I am going from Mobil1 5w-30 ESP to the Redline Euro for my 21 lbs B Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T. I have 5%+ fuel dilution ( Polaris Labs advanced test) as bad as any Honda 1.5T. I have no wear.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/showcase/2018-kona-awd-1-6t-lowered.1162/

I think that's a good showing for RL 0w20. Been wanting to try it in my Accord 2.0T. I'm also looking at Amsoil 0/5w30 in the signature series line. Price is about equal. Decisions, decisions.

Originally Posted by Mainia
Originally Posted by Marco620
Might go back to Redline 0w20 in my next Honda GDi. But might use the 0w30RL after I add some parts and up the boost.

Why wouldn't you use a mid SAPS Redline Euro 5w-30? Less moly for reduces back side of valve coking and low noack, and I would assume lower ash too. I am going from Mobil1 5w-30 ESP to the Redline Euro for my 21 lbs B Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T. I have 5%+ fuel dilution ( Polaris Labs advanced test) as bad as any Honda 1.5T. I have no wear.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/showcase/2018-kona-awd-1-6t-lowered.1162/

I think the consensus is that the euro line is nothing special and matched by many off the shelf oils. Glad you're having good results with it.

Back