2007 BMW 335i, 214k, 7500 OCI T6 5-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
This interval began with a run to Detroit and back, but has been otherwise almost exclusively short trips (2-4 miles) at some cold temps (down to 0F). Lots of idling, average speed of maybe 20 mph. Gets just warm enough to make some nice heat, then shut down. Every couple of months it gets a road trip of 150-300 miles. It nearly killed me to leave it in for 7450 miles, but it seems pretty ok with it.

For nearly 215k on an n54 I'm pretty happy. Only issue that might be connected to the fuel is that this car, since the last uoa, really likes to start rich. Something is causing this engine to crank just dumping fuel, but is perfectly fine once it's running. I have not figured it out. It's like starting a warm engine with the choke on.

Since it's January, the T6 came out and PP 5-30 went in.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 110
I understand that BMW's and Mini's tend to chew up coils faster than average. You would probably get a misfire code though. Shop around as coil prices can vary a great deal.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
I understand that BMW's and Mini's tend to chew up coils faster than average. You would probably get a misfire code though. Shop around as coil prices can vary a great deal.

They do. They should all be changed at 60k.
Now, N54 went through several revisions of injectors too. Good question is posted: does this car has latest revision of injectors?

Originally Posted by antonmnster
This interval began with a run to Detroit and back, but has been otherwise almost exclusively short trips (2-4 miles) at some cold temps (down to 0F). Lots of idling, average speed of maybe 20 mph. Gets just warm enough to make some nice heat, then shut down. Every couple of months it gets a road trip of 150-300 miles. It nearly killed me to leave it in for 7450 miles, but it seems pretty ok with it.

For nearly 215k on an n54 I'm pretty happy. Only issue that might be connected to the fuel is that this car, since the last uoa, really likes to start rich. Something is causing this engine to crank just dumping fuel, but is perfectly fine once it's running. I have not figured it out. It's like starting a warm engine with the choke on.

Since it's January, the T6 came out and PP 5-30 went in.

The key here is a lot of idling and average speed of 20MPH this will read to quite a bit of fuel dillution just keep this mind. It is not affecting wear adversely right now.

All of the injectors are at index 12. And the coils all been done at least once. Now the spark plugs are about due - it's been probably three years 40,000 miles. And the last set I got.from Amazon so they're probably fake Bosch parts.

And like I said, the only notice time when the engine is rich is literally as it's cranking. Once it chugs and pops off it's perfectly fine. I changed the vanos solenoids thinking the cams we're starting off out of position, changed the coolant temp.sensor, an upstream O2 sensor, and made sure the manifold absolute pressor sensor is clean (maybe should just change it). Trying to get at the data points that feed the ECU pre start condition

How would you know the engine is running rich to start? This is somewhat typical to get the car going, but how do you know its out of spec? BMW plays tons of tricks with injection and cam timing to get the cats warmed up as fast as possible, which is also why most dont have secondary air injection. Id try to take it on a good ride every other week or so, and see if the dilution drops.

So I changed plugs last week. I was surprised by #1 and #6. They were carboned. Seems like the injectors are leaking down. They've been replaced, but 40k, and 100k ago respectively. The new injectors arrived today

Last edited:
I have an N54. It had 3 index 5 and 3 index 9 injectors. Swapped out the 5 for 12 index, made a big difference. Will probably change the last 3 in the better weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back