2006 Camry 4 cyl. 15,000 miles on M1 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran 15,000 miles on M1 HM 5W30 with a M1 filter. The oil dipped low at least once. Low as in not even present on the dipstick. Has had at least 1.5 to 2 quarts of makeup oil added. Ran entire time with leaky air filter box. Water is probably present from me not really heating up the car before sampling. I ran the car for maybe 30 seconds to get it into the garage.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-think-my-uoa-will-look-like#Post5127339

In any case, after I pulled the drain plug and sampled the oil, I put the old oil back in. Looks like I made the right call, the oil still has some life left!

Screenshot_20190619-152211.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like time for engine work or engine replacement. That iron and aluminum # is nuts. My 09' with 153K wasn't even that bad with M1 10w40HM SL rated lube

Yeah, I'd not be happy with that report if it was mine. I'd fix the leak in the air box, then change the oil (for sure!) and monitor the level more closely (so it doesn't ever drop off the dipstick). Until I got a better report, I'd not run the oil over 10k.

That oil has no life left. Next time change it at 7500.

There are some on this forum that believe the wear rate decreases when oil is not changed. Nothing could be further from the truth. The more miles accumulated, the higher the wear causing particulates, and the more the oil is contaminated with combustion byproducts. Significantly diluting the oil with evaporated gasoline by products.

It is my opinion that UOA results do not track engine wear rates. UOA results are good for trend changes and will indicate a problem when major changes occur. Note: Those trend changes can be universal averages or your averages.

I worked for Mobil Oil in a past life. We tested various products and the associated wear rates. Wear measurement was done by scanning electron microscope.

I fail to understand how "high iron" can indicate a universal wear rate. As the iron may not be associated with any worn internal engine parts, and may in fact come from a balancer chain or a mechanically driven fuel pump.

Some people automatically associate "high iron" with cylinder wear. Without disassembly, there is no way to know that the iron you see in the UOA sample came from ALL the parts or just one of the parts such as the cylinders, camshaft, crankshaft, lifters, timing chain, fuel pump, oil pump, rocker arms, pushrods, and on and on.

Last edited:
Agreed. UOA's tell you the health of the oil, not the engine.

I would change the oil and reduce the OCI. You think an extra $25 of oil is worth a $3000 engine? Oil is cheap.

I think WIX sees 100ppm as condemning to the lube, so the OP's oil is fine
33.gif

And why didn't they perform a KV100 test?

Thanks for a common sense answer , lots of crap slung around here . You laid it out correctly and honestly

Originally Posted by LotI
Agreed. UOA's tell you the health of the oil, not the engine.

I would change the oil and reduce the OCI. You think an extra $25 of oil is worth a $3000 engine? Oil is cheap.

I think WIX sees 100ppm as condemning to the lube, so the OP's oil is fine
33.gif

And why didn't they perform a KV100 test?

For cripes sake, why in heavens name would I run a test on maybe 1/8th quart of burned, used oil??!

I think it's never a good idea to drain all of the oil just to get a sample and then pour it back in the engine. Especially considering the very long OCI and the leaky air filter box, it was not a good idea. I would drain and fill with new oil. Iron at 85 and aluminum at 27 PPM is pretty high, even for 15k miles. I suspect abrasives are the main cause of that more so than degraded oil chemistry or viscometric changes, but that's just an educated guess.

Originally Posted by JAG
I think it's never a good idea to drain all of the oil just to get a sample and then pour it back in the engine. Especially considering the very long OCI and the leaky air filter box, it was not a good idea. I would drain and fill with new oil. Iron at 85 and aluminum at 27 PPM is pretty high, even for 15k miles. I suspect abrasives are the main cause of that more so than degraded oil chemistry or viscometric changes, but that's just an educated guess.

Yeah...... engine is probably going south faster than a freight train

This was my parent's car and no one has any use for it anymore. I was about to put some bar and chain oil in the car after sampling, but I decided to just pour the old oil back. This car isn't getting another oil change unless the oil is free. I did the UOA out of intellectual curiosity. As far as they're concerned the car could disappear tomorrow and it wouldn't matter one bit.

I'm also a little suspect of people who say this engine is going to blow. For the last 2000 miles, I've been redlining the engine with nary an odd sound. I'm talking dropping the thing in 2nd on the freeway and pushing it to 5k rpms. I've bounced off redline countless times and nothing happened.

Last edited:
Iron at 85 and Aluminum at 27 inside of 15,000 miles.... I'm pretty sure that's the highest iron reading per 1000 miles I've ever seen here. Is there any chance sample got contaminated with iron filings?

Just out of curiosity, how did you capture the oil for the sample?

If that were my UOA, I'd change the oil/filter immediately, drive it for 1000 miles and do a simple UOA (no TBN). If it comes back with more than 2ppm FE per 1000 miles, I'd either get rid of it or make a decision to diagnose the damage and possibly fix it.

Ray

I captured the oil midstream after pulling the drain plug. I didn't see anything shiny or metallic in the oil I drained out.

Originally Posted by Deontologist
This was my parent's car and no one has any use for it anymore. I was about to put some bar and chain oil in the car after sampling, but I decided to just pour the old oil back. This car isn't getting another oil change unless the oil is free. I did the UOA out of intellectual curiosity. As far as they're concerned the car could disappear tomorrow and it wouldn't matter one bit.

I'm also a little suspect of people who say this engine is going to blow. For the last 2000 miles, I've been redlining the engine with nary an odd sound. I'm talking dropping the thing in 2nd on the freeway and pushing it to 5k rpms. I've bounced off redline countless times and nothing happened.

So it's an extra car that's not needed and you don't want to spend $25 on an oil change? Why haven't you just sold it?

Originally Posted by JustinH
I think you would get better results with quick lube bulk oil at 5k intervals than what we are seeing here.

Also a new air filter.

Less chance of this at least:

"Low as in not even present on the dipstick"

I would never want to see double digit wear metals. What does the Toyota fsm say about oci length for your car?

Originally Posted by Deontologist

You don't know what you are talking about. I hope the engine grenades. What you are posting is pure silly ness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back