Amsoil SS 5w-30 || 7,300 Mile OCI, 10 Months || 2015 Kia Sorento 2.4L I-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed 8/1/2018 -- used Amsoil Filter EA15K20

Tried the Amsoil Oil/Filter in hopes of extending the oil change to about the 1 year mark -- we do about 10k/year on that vehicle.

According to this, no such luck!

Back to whatever is on sale.

Annotation 2019-06-03 160812.png

Wow. You just TRASHED that oil.

But, it's not the oils fault - Fuel is high, and silicon is high. Short trips, in cold weather, in DI engine, will do that. Lots of idling?

I'd check you AF carefully, and maybe go back to Amsoil OE, and 3750 intervals.

You just aren't a candidate for extended intervals.

Originally Posted by addyguy

But, it's not the oils fault - Fuel is high, and silicon is high. Short trips, in cold weather, in DI engine, will do that. Lots of idling?

Yeah, I'm not blaming the oil, it just didn't work out.

The car gets driven 5 days a week twice a day for 13 miles or so each way for work probably 60/40 city/hwy . It gets used for weekend traveling as well because we have the kids' car seats in there.

I live in Buffalo NY so there is some cold weather of course.

Last edited:
SS took a beating here. I'd cut the interval down to 6 months.

This looks like a GDI engine UOA. Was there any work done to the engine during that time or shortly before that? My GM 2.4L I-4 had pistons replaced and had similar Iron and Aluminum amounts. Since then it has tappered off to about 5ppm of Iron per 1000 miles. I would ask BSL how many samples they have for your make and engine. The GM 2.4L has over 600 for their universal average.

Looks like it survived the NY winter. Some wear could be due to cold starts, along with the fuel dilution. What percentage was short trip and city driving.

When using BSL fuel dilution, double that to get a more accurate amount.

Viscosity is not that far out, it started with 10.3, a change of 1.6cSt over 7K. Not bad. Viscosity may stablize by this point. Mine did at 3k, after dropping 2 points.

TBN, will typically measure low due to the method used for most labs. Actual is 1-2 points above that. Labs use a safer acid formulation that does not fully measure the reserve alkalinity of the additives.

Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
This looks like a GDI engine UOA. Was there any work done to the engine during that time or shortly before that? My GM 2.4L I-4 had pistons replaced and had similar Iron and Aluminum amounts. Since then it has tappered off to about 5ppm of Iron per 1000 miles. I would ask BSL how many samples they have for your make and engine. The GM 2.4L has over 600 for their universal average.

Looks like it survived the NY winter. Some wear could be due to cold starts, along with the fuel dilution. What percentage was short trip and city driving.

When using BSL fuel dilution, double that to get a more accurate amount.

Viscosity is not that far out, it started with 10.3, a change of 1.6cSt over 7K. Not bad. Viscosity may stablize by this point. Mine did at 3k, after dropping 2 points.

TBN, will typically measure low due to the method used for most labs. Actual is 1-2 points above that. Labs use a safer acid formulation that does not fully measure the reserve alkalinity of the additives.

No work done, about 40-50% city driving, probably 20-30% short tripping.

Originally Posted by badduxx

Tried the Amsoil Oil/Filter in hopes of extending the oil change to about the 1 year mark -- we do about 10k/year on that vehicle.

I just posted my last 4 UOA for my GDI 2.4L . I sent the same sample to BSL and Polaris. BSL said 2% dilution, and Polaris GC had it at 4.8%.

Last edited:

I just posted my last 4 UOA for my GDI 2.4L . I sent the same sample to BSL and Polaris. BSL said 2% dilution, and Polaris GC had it at 4.8%.

I just looked at the report you posted. One thing that sort of stuck out to me was that Blackstone seems to indicate
I wonder if whatever tests they do have different intervals or sensitivity?

badduxx
That engine is the perfect candidate for 5K OCIs. Mid-priced name-brand synthetic oil and an OEM-type filter. NAPA has the Pro Select (virtually same as OEM) for $3.49. Make sure it's new stock. White and yellow outer box. It's what I'm running in my 2.4 Hyundai.

something is up here, that iron is way too high and the oil thinned out alot. if i had a UOA like this id send it to a more thorough lab to try and see whats going on.

4.8 sounds more correct considering how thin it got. [censored] thats bad too.

Originally Posted by addyguy

I ended up taking your advice and checking the air filter. I had replaced it when I put the Amsoil in. I took it out and noticed there was a small tear in part of the rubber seal. I am not sure it was allowing anything in, but for the few bucks I put in one of the Napa golds just to see if there is any change next time around.

I think MPFI engines can do 7500-10k easily on the right oil when not short tripped.

But i think its unwise to try much more than 5k with a DI engine, unless you are all hwy driving with 0 short trips.

I won't be going over 4500 on mine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back