03 Subaru WRX Valvoline VR1 10/30 196K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
My teenage sons 2003 Subaru WRX that we bought with 191K miles now has 196K miles. Running Valvoline VR-1 10w30 oil and changed it at 3000 miles. Less than positive results on the UOA but I am not surprised honestly. It is living up to the name of "#Smurf_Turd".

Had trouble uploading file from my work computer. [censored] Windows 10 and Admin lockouts........

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 125
Last edited:
Originally Posted by xDoodles
Do you plan on trying a 40wt oil or a different brand?

When I took the sample we just used the VR-1 again. Upon seeing these results I will most likely look for a better/different oil. Not sure on which one just yet though.

Hm, it's not great but not horrible either. I would definitely try a different oil, maybe step up to a 40 as well. Is Rotella T6 5W-40 still highly regarded in the Subaru community? If so, might try to give that a run.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Why did you choose VR-1?

I have used it in my 87 GN with good results and I keep a small stock on hand. Evidently the WRX doesn't like it though.

The oil is not the problem. VR1 is a proven one, and 10w30 is a good weight.
Of course, a million other cheaper choices exist, so why not try something different. Best value and highest performance is Castrol or Mobil1 0w40 at walmart with better performance specs than most other oils to choose from.

Is this the 10W-30 Synthetic?

ow is the engine running? Any odd noises other than subaru noises?

The tr for fuel is a good sign.

What issues have you had?

Did he break the trans mount yet?

Kids can be hard on cars.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Is this the 10W-30 Synthetic?
[color:#FF9900]
Conventional

How is the engine running? Any odd noises other than subaru noises?
Runs good. No strange noises.

The tr for fuel is a good sign.
Agreed

What issues have you had?
Changed valve cover gaskets, complete AC system. No other issues running wise.

Did he break the trans mount yet?
Not yet

Kids can be hard on cars.
He thinks its a rally car at times!! Ha!

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
The oil is not the problem. VR1 is a proven one, and 10w30 is a good weight.
Of course, a million other cheaper choices exist, so why not try something different. Best value and highest performance is Castrol or Mobil1 0w40 at walmart with better performance specs than most other oils to choose from.

The VR-1 thinned out for the low mileage. I guess the boxer engine is harder on oil than others.

There's more than just a "tr" of fuel in that oil.

Best fluid performance I had in the EJ-255 in my turbo Baja was Renewable Lube's 5W40HD. That's pricier than what you're running, obviously.

Subie turbo engines of this vintage, particularly high-miles units, tend to want a 40-grade to maintain adequate oil flow to the upper areas of the engine at idle and low rpm. This isn't about dynamic viscosity, it's purely a matter of kinematic viscosity; getting the oil pressure high enough to push it up to and through things like turbo bearings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TurboJW
The VR-1 thinned out for the low mileage. I guess the boxer engine is harder on oil than others.
Your lowered flashpoint indicates some fuel dilution. Fuel dilution will affect any oil, regardless of what brand it is.
The KV100 9.49 is within the SAE J300 definition for new oil of a 10w30 (9.3 to 12.5 is the range for new "30" oil). That's a normal viscosity swing engineers know about and design for.

I think your choice of oil is good, although a change to higher-performance Euro spec oils might help a little, as in M1 or Castrol 0w40, basically anything with the MB 229.5, Porsche A40 standards.
Originally Posted by bulwnkl

This isn't about dynamic viscosity, it's purely a matter of kinematic viscosity; getting the oil pressure high enough to push it up to and through things like turbo bearings.
Sounds like you have no understanding of dynamic vs. kinematic viscosity. Nice try though.

[Linked Image]

Sorry OP but I had to.

Originally Posted by Buzzinhalfdozen
[Linked Image]

Sorry OP but I had to.

You're not wrong!!! Lol. I'm an American car guy.

IMG_20190418_220204_922.jpg

Originally Posted by JustN89
Hm, it's not great but not horrible either. I would definitely try a different oil, maybe step up to a 40 as well. Is Rotella T6 5W-40 still highly regarded in the Subaru community? If so, might try to give that a run.

RT6 5w-40 is noy SN rated anymore... if OP has no more cats, it wouldn't matter and RT6 5w-40 would be a good option. If OP still has cats, RT6 multi vehicle 5w-30 might be a good option, it is SN rated and very thick for a 30 grade (12.1 cst @ 100c).

I currently have RT6 MV in my FA20DIT engine and boy, it is one smooth and quiet running engine.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Sounds like you have no understanding of dynamic vs. kinematic viscosity. Nice try though.

I know a helluva lot more about Subaru's EJ-25 series engines than you do, which is all that matters here. (-;

Looks like dirt ingestion caused increased wear, fuel dilution caused viscosity drop, and insolubles at 0.4 with such low mileage indicates there are elevated concentrations of insoluble particles.

Install new, quality air filter and check tightness of hose clamps. Use a good fuel injector cleaner. Run an extra short next OCI. Then test the oil fill that occurs after the short one to see what effects those actions caused.

Originally Posted by jbutch
Originally Posted by JustN89

RT6 5w-40 is noy SN rated anymore... if OP has no more cats, it wouldn't matter and RT6 5w-40 would be a good option. If OP still has cats, RT6 multi vehicle 5w-30 might be a good option, it is SN rated and very thick for a 30 grade (12.1 cst @ 100c).

I currently have RT6 MV in my FA20DIT engine and boy, it is one smooth and quiet running engine.

The only reason it's not SN rated anymore is because there are no longer exceptions in the standard for dual rated oils.

Rotella had just as much zinc and phosphorus if not more as a CJ4/SN than it does now at CK-4.
If a vehicle is not using a qty of oil then the zinc and phosphorus doesn't reach the catalytic converter anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back