TT Camaro, Driven LS30; 1000 on oil, 2000 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010 Camaro with LSX 427/6 spd manual

Car actually runs on E85 most of the time and this sample was taken cold. I'm hoping the numbers, especially the iron, come down. I have about 600 more miles to go and I'll send in the 1000 mile sample (warm) mentioned in the comments. I also switched to Mobil 1 15W50 full synthetic. No real reason other than it was on sale and a little thicker oil than 5W30 is recommended by the turbo company.

The car makes 1000whp on low boost and I work it like a Dickensian orphan. Maybe I should start planning what parts to use in the rebuild...

ETHiPDu.jpg

Last edited:
It's generally of no value sampling the oil from an engine still breaking in. You'll want to do it after the oil has been drained/filled a few times to flush out that break-in material to get an idea of where your levels are and then watch subsequent samples to see if things are trending down like they are supposed to.

I agree, sampling on this new of an engine is a moot point. You aren't going to see anything valuable until it is broken in and all wear metals are flushed.

I'd certainly be using the thicker vis oils in this thing though! A 1000hp LS with Turbo is no place for a thin 5W30! I'm not a M1 fan at all so IMO there are much better oils out there for your application but either way do several more 1000-2000 OCI's and then sample and see if that iron has dropped, if not, its time to go see your builder!

Well it is a new engine putting out lots of HP at wot. 5w-30 seems a bit thin to take the pounding. I could be wrong though.UOA on a new engine is a waste unless you suspect a coolant leak or something.

What bearings does the engine have in it; bimetal Aluminum or trimetal leaded bronze?
The high copper and lead worry me more than the iron.
But like others have said here, a new engine will show a lot of wear metals.
How are you using the car? Drag race? Road courses? Street?
The KV100 has held up well in the Driven LS30. The M1 15w50 isn't a bad choice, but I would have only gone up to a 40-weight. Driven has a stout 40-weight, as do Redline and AMSoil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back