Toyotoa 0w-20; 5k miles; Lexus LX570 25k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota branded motor oil has Ti? Since when?
The 88 ppm titanium is between what's in Kendall (100 ppm) and Castrol (10 ppm).
OR--- Maybe there is some titanium wear metal somewhere in the engine. Anybody know?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The 88 ppm titanium is between what's in Kendall (100 ppm) and Castrol (10 ppm).
OR--- Maybe there is some titanium wear metal somewhere in the engine. Anybody know?

look at some of my oil analysis reports.. yes Toyota oil does have Ti in it. so does Mobil, they switched to it from what I've found because it offers same protections as Moly but cheaper priced.

and yeah I do think some fuel dilution COULD be going on.. But I found that the Toyota oil thinned out VERY quickly even without any fuel dilution present! It's why I switched to Castrol.

All that scribbling you did but the whole world still knows your name is Dennis Latimer.
laugh.gif

That is my question as well. Not aware that TGMO 0W20 has Ti in it. Did you do the oil change by yourself?

Originally Posted By: windeye

That is my question as well. Not aware that TGMO 0W20 has Ti in it. Did you do the oil change by yourself?

No all changes done by Lexus.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Looks like you have some fuel contamination.

Could be possibly caused by the accident 1000 miles before the oil changed where I hydroplane doing several 360 degree spins across the freeway into the median shearing off the front plastic facade along with all the headlights, electronics and radar. Radiator, transmission cooler and horns were also replaced. Air bags did not deploy, no structural damage, no damage to any sheet metal. No leaks, just a fin bent on the radiator, so they installed a new one. $20,000 later it looks and drives like new, all gauges stayed in normal range until I turned off the engine about 10 minutes after the wreak. But maybe all the spinning caused a (tr) of fuel, which from the oil analysis is in the normal range.

I'll probably extend the OCI after a couple of years when I no longer get free oil/filter changes from my Lexus dealer. It won't be 10k miles but maybe 7.5k miles. I also wondered where the ti came from??

Originally Posted By: researcher

look at some of my oil analysis reports.. yes Toyota oil does have Ti in it. so does Mobil, they switched to it from what I've found because it offers same protections as Moly but cheaper priced.

Interesting, your 5w20 Toyota-brand GroupII conventional motor oil on your UOA did have 30 ppm Ti. As for Mobil, their conventional oil (Mobil Super 5000) has had Ti in it, off and on, but none of the Mobil1 synthetics have ever had it. ... pqiamerica.com ... The 30 ppm Ti in your 5w20 UOA is identical to the Ti-Na formula in some Mobil Super 5000 oils, which probably means your Toyota 5w20 was actually the Ti-Na Mobil Super 5000 sourced from Mobil & re-branded. Toyota has long had an association with Mobil, so not surprising.

On THIS thread's Toyota 0w20 synthetic oil, I've never seen that one have Ti in it. And there was a lot of Ti in there, 84 ppm, almost as much as Kendall's amount at 100 ppm.

I've wondered if this Ti thing would ever catch on. Most oil makers don't use it. Kendall, Castrol, some Mobil conventional, and no others I've seen. Afton got some patents off some basic research findings https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/20...ive-engine-oils

Fuel dilution due to engine being direct injection is my guess. Looks pretty thin for TGMO 0W20. Blackstone fuel readings are not the greatest as many with direct injection engines have noted.

Looks like the titanium is a good thing and since I change my oil/filter every 5000 miles I’m not too concerned about any problem. Looks like the dealer must be using Castrol 0W 20 that has the titanium which is a good thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back