2014 Chevrolet Cruze Eco 6MT Pennzoil PPP 3.5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Chevy Cruze Eco 6MT. First time UOA, collected sampled after 75mi drive @ ~45degF, collected during drain. Oil history was factory fill, Pennzoil PPP (2x). Blackstone said universal averages on this engine are 7k, since I'm half that I would hope to see half the copper, but that wasn't the case. Everything else was about in line with half the universal averages. I use fuelly for all fill ups and have a lifetime avg mpg of 45.5. I store the car in winter, so that's why I run the oil for a year and change it before winterizing. Stock car setup, original air filter and I use the OEM oil filters (ACDelco PF2257G).

Last edited:
So, I am reading that right, they are suggesting a longer drain interval even though the oil has been in use a year?
Does that old adage still not apply, X number of miles or one year, whichever comes first?
21.gif

EDIT: The oil history I listed is wrong, I had a brain f@rt. The first 4 oil changes within 2 years were free, I only did 3 within that 2 years, forgot about that.

So it was:
FF
Chevy dealer fill 5w-30 (dino I believe) 3x
Pennzoil PPP 5w-30 2x

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv
So, I am reading that right, they are suggesting a longer drain interval even though the oil has been in use a year?
Does that old adage still not apply, X number of miles or one year, whichever comes first?
21.gif

I really don't think age is as much of an issue any more. There's a report on here which was posted not that long ago where 10 year old oil was tested and it was still in pretty good shape, all things considered. Any more, I believe mileage and type of driving is more important.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
21.gif

I really don't think age is as much of an issue any more. There's a report on here which was posted not that long ago where 10 year old oil was tested and it was still in pretty good shape, all things considered. Any more, I believe mileage and type of driving is more important.

10 yr old oil sitting in a jug on the shelf, unused, or 10 yr old oil that was run through an engine for that long?

Good report - you can easily go two years between changes if you stick with PP and continue with the low mileage routine - just keep it topped off. If you are worried about a warranty claim problem, just stick with your annual change. My 2013 Dart likely won't see an oil change for 3 or 4 more years. I've only put about 1000 miles on it in the last 15 months since the last change - it also uses PP.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Good report - you can easily go two years between changes if you stick with PP and continue with the low mileage routine - just keep it topped off. If you are worried about a warranty claim problem, just stick with your annual change. My 2013 Dart likely won't see an oil change for 3 or 4 more years. I've only put about 1000 miles on it in the last 15 months since the last change - it also uses PP.

Not that I'll likely ever do that with the amount of miles we do, but I thought even the oil analysis guys would still recommend an annual oil change despite the amount of miles that are on the oil?
I guess they can obviously see those things so they likely wouldn't recommend extending one's drain interval if they thought harm could be done. Interesting. Thanks for the info.
11.gif

With the 2017 Pennzoil rebate on a 5 qt jug of 5w-30 at walmart, which was I believe $12, I ended up only paying $10 for the oil plus I get the oil filters for free on amazon (I get amazon gift cards using bing rewards) so it's cheap peace of mind for me. The UOA was the most expensive part!
smirk.gif

21.gif

10 yr old oil sitting in a jug on the shelf, unused, or 10 yr old oil that was run through an engine for that long?

It was 10 years old, used oil. If I remember right, they drew it from an engine that had been sitting for quite some time.

21.gif

It was 10 years old, used oil. If I remember right, they drew it from an engine that had been sitting for quite some time.

I assume they had no idea how many miles were on the oil? I assume, the old, no matter how many miles are on it, if one year is up, it should be change annually, no no longer applies? I also assume they, if true, are talking about synthetic oils and not dino oils?

I assume they had no idea how many miles were on the oil? I assume, the old, no matter how many miles are on it, if one year is up, it should be change annually, no no longer applies? I also assume they, if true, are talking about synthetic oils and not dino oils?

Here's the thread

Here's the thread

Good to know.

Thanks for posting it up.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back