09 Nitro 3.7 unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
So May 1st my daughter totaled her 05 Liberty, and it has been replaced by a 2009 Nitro w/149k miles.
No clue how long the oil was in there or what it was. Not happy, but engine is quiet so we'll see how it goes. Cooling system is tight no leaks, no loss of coolant so far in three months.
Replaced with Pennzoil Platinum high mileage 5W20.

With an unknown history, it's a tough call. It could have a bad HG, or had a bad HG as mentioned. I would follow their suggestion and dump the oil in 3K miles and do another UOA. I would also pressure test the cooling system ASAP to confirm or rule out a bad HG before the 3K OCI is up.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
With an unknown history, it's a tough call. It could have a bad HG, or had a bad HG as mentioned. I would follow their suggestion and dump the oil in 3K miles and do another UOA. I would also pressure test the cooling system ASAP to confirm or rule out a bad HG before the 3K OCI is up.

Yep! Fix the coolant leak and it will run a long time...the 3.7 is a solid unit.

After trying a stop-leak additive in the coolant, drive a 100 miles, change the oil, and maybe it'll clear up the tiny leak.
I prefer the liquid product with the picture below, but the tablets have a reputation for working too.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bar-s-leaks-Radiator-Stop-Leak-Tablets/52628136
Barr's tablets in the coolant. Or the liquid:
532b0b10-6d61-4daf-bd54-d330aca6b1f0_1.c01a3cba596e2c338bde662f44a5e4c1.jpeg

I agree , pressure test it .

I have read a lot of harrow stories about using " stop leak " products .

If possible , I would try to find the leak and repair it .

Best of luck , :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back