F-150 3.5L EB 11,750 miles w/ M1 5W30 for 4,457m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil life monitor at 43% (remaining). Oil ran for 161 hours, 32 of which were at idle. Was glad not to see any fuel in the mix. Feedback always appreciated.

The Mobil 1 certainly sheared down pretty far in under 5K miles, from 11.1 to 9.05. I wonder if the 20% idle time was the main contributor....or was it primarily the EcoBoost? If you followed the OLM down to say 10% the viscosity might have been down to 8.0 by then.

Looks like it's breaking in well - all good. In spite of the shear, you could probably push the OLM a little farther for the next few OCIs. If you're worried, do another UOA in 20k.

Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned this is a 2016 truck. I changed the factory-fill oil at 2,5xx miles (to M1) and then changed it again around 7,6xx miles.

There are lots of debates on various Ford forums about fuel dilution in this engine and how it can beat up oil. I'm going to run an experiment this year and chance my oil every 4mo/5,000 miles and see how the analysis looks. I might change oils next year to see how they compare.

Good report as some of the metal is break in metal. I like the 4/5000 oci.

Typically M1 5W30 really shears like water ....
Nice breaking-in, and OCI could be extended progressively over times ....
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: Onug
Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned this is a 2016 truck. I changed the factory-fill oil at 2,5xx miles (to M1) and then changed it again around 7,6xx miles.

There are lots of debates on various Ford forums about fuel dilution in this engine and how it can beat up oil. I'm going to run an experiment this year and chance my oil every 4mo/5,000 miles and see how the analysis looks. I might change oils next year to see how they compare.

I would hold off on the experiment until you get to 30K miles. Before that your metals will still be slightly elevated because engine is still breaking in. Based on my own UOAs and those of others I've seen the general rule of thumb is 25K+ miles is where wear metals from break-in plateau.

Interesting point; I think my last car took that long too to calm down on the wear metals. I'm too impatient to wait another year, but that is duly noted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back