Aral SuperTronic 0w-40 10552km Saab B202L 572223km

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next uoa. (Last one can be seen here.)

Saab 900 turbo 17, model year 1985. Engine code B202L. Total mileage 572233km, which equals 355645 miles. Engine rebuild at 410000km/254700mi due to defective LH-jet (did not enrich enough under full boost and killed a piston ring).

OIL Aral Super Tronic 0w-40
MILES IN USE 6558 (10552km), 3 months
MILES 355645 (572233km)
SAMPLE TAKEN 16/03/08

wear metals (mg/kg)

IRON 17
CHROME 1
TIN 1
ALUMINUM 2
NICKEL 0
COPPER 5
LEAD 2
MANGANESE 0

pollution (mg/kg)

SILICON 3
POTASSIUM 1
SODIUM 5
WATER (%) IR-GLYKOL negative
FUEL (%) 1.03

Additives (mg/kg)

CALCIUM 1422
MAGNESIUM 8
BORON 60
ZINC 827
PHOSPHORUS 602
BARIUM 0
MOLYBDENUM 129
SULPHUR 1275

state of oil:

visc. @40°C (mm2/s) 73.5
visc. @100°C (mm2/s) 12.91
VI 178
OXYDATION (A/cm) 7
NITRATION (A/cm) 2
SULFATION (A/cm) 0
dispergency* (%) 93
SOOT INDEX** BN 7.53

* the german word was "Schmutztragevermögen", hope I translated that right.
** the lab has introduced the "Rußindex", an in-house tool to check for soot in
gasoline oil, as soot from direct-injection engines will not show correctly in the
standard test for diesel oils

Here is the original:

uoa572k_aralsupertronic_0w-40.jpg

I wrote a short article on my blog:
https://turboseize.wordpress.com/2016/03...00-turbo-b202l/ (It's in german, but perhaps google translate might help. Ift not, feel free to ask me any questions...)

Thi soil is my mechanic's standard choicem because ist vollsynthetisch (all PAO) and relatively cheap. Yes, it's a low-SAPS oil, and the old B202, being an indirect-injection petrol engine does not have (nor need) a particel filter, so a low-SAPS oil might seem useless.
On the other hand, both 229.51 and 229.5 have the same requirements regarding wear and engine cleanliness. The oil also sports a Porsche A40, which is important because this certification includes testing in a turbocharged engine, that gets switched off repeatedly directly after heavy use - this is to test the oils resistancy to coking. Early Saab 202 (and b201) are fitted with Garret T3 turbos, which are, unlike many modern turbos, NOT water-cooled. So resistance to coking is an issue in these engines.

Our hypothesis was: "there is no significant difference between any oils certified 229.5 or 229.51". Yes, iron is a bit higher than with the previous Mobil1 "new life", but if you factor in the different mileages on the oil and equalize them to 10,000km, you get ~13 for the Mobil1 and ~16 for the Aral. Now think about the margin of error of the analysis, and this is next to nothing.

Next two intervals will be driven with Shell Helix Ultra 0w-40. I was originally planning to test a cheap hydrocracked 5w-40 (in keeping with our mantra MB 229.5 is everything), such as Addinol 0540 or Total Quartz 9000 energy, which both can be had for around 18€/5liters. But then I got a great deal for the Shell: 20€ /5liters is a great price for a 0w-40 (Compare that to Mobil1 new life which costs at least 32€).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pontual
This Aral is a good cruiser oil. Now short drive is the real challenge.

Yeah, cruising in Germany.

SCNR.
cool.gif
laugh.gif

But you're right, the car does see next to no short trips. One grocery run a week and one trip to the boat house. The bulk of the mileage is long distance weekend commuting.
Mostly Autobahn cruising @ ~3000/min (120-130km/h) and once in a while a full throttle run. (Note: you absolutely CAN drive from Berlin to Munich (580km) in 4 hours, respecting all traffic laws and speed limits and including at least one, sometimes even two stops to refill gas. But compared to "cruising", fuel consumption more than doubles then. So I really only do this very once in a while, perhaps one in ten trips.
Top speed with the old, short gearbox was set by the rev limiter kicking in in 5th gear around 225-230km/h. I have yet to try out top speed with the rebuild, longer gearbox.)

Short tripping KILLS oil and engines. Some weeks ago, I saw two UOAs from two low- to medium mileage 1.4 TSI: one a long distance cruiser, one a grocery-getter. Both around 9000km. The first was great, the latter was downright ugly. 9% fuel, viscosity down, TBN depleted and Iron and lead through the roof... and VW allows up 30k intervals on these engines. On long distnace cruisere entirely possible, but even with short tripped cars the OLM will call for an oil change only after ~18k. Insane.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back