4 stroke snowmobile oil

What are you guys running in your 4 stroke snowmobiles? My Yamaha manual says 0W30. Lots of guys are running 0W40. What brand are you using?

I use Mobile 1 in my Yamaha Vector. The book calls for 0-40, wouldn't have a problem with 0-30 if it's all I could find. I'm due an oil change this Spring

Seems like all the new4 strokes call for 0W40. I sit on the fence on what to run. I have a jug of Pennzoil 0W30 I was going to dump in.

What do you think the coldest temperature you'll crank it would be?

I'd vote for
Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40
Rotella T6 5W-40
Mobil 1 FS 0w-40

My home town is Brandon, Manitoba. When I was about 12, it got down to -51F. Winnipeg is typically colder by a few degrees.There are jokes about the Golden Boy, cold enough to freeze the.......
Petro-Canada (Holly Frontier) Duron 0w30 & 0w40 are other HD options. Rotella 0w40 T6 another.
PC also has old skool 15w40 and 20w50 HDs in their Duron line.

www.lubricants.petro-canada.ca

Originally Posted by Brian553
What do you think the coldest temperature you'll crank it would be?

I'd vote for
Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40
Rotella T6 5W-40
Mobil 1 FS 0w-40

10 points to the guy who considers climate!

-25C. No colder. Really I probably wouldn't ride below -20. I ran Supertech 5W30 in it this year. No issues. Spun over quick at -20. Last weekend it hit +4C on the ride home. I think this season is over.

Last edited:
0-40w M1 in my '09 & '13 1200 Ski Doo's . That's what viscosity BRP recommends. 9500 miles on the '09 and no starting issues at -20 f . Motors runs 5k rpm mostly and not worth being cheap for a few bucks on a very expensive motor.

I'm looking for another oil for my pair of Nytros too. Not only does it call for a 0w-30 API SG or higher, but it also says JASO MA or higher. The JASO is for motorcycles with wet clutches, yet the Nytro doesn't have one so that spec confuses me. I was all set to run M1 0w-30 AFE until I stumbled upon that little tidbit.

JASO because the starter has wet clutch. I found a little comment in the owners manual. I'm just running Pennzoil 0W30. No issues. Not too concerned.

Originally Posted by FastLane
JASO because the starter has wet clutch. I found a little comment in the owners manual. I'm just running Pennzoil 0W30. No issues. Not too concerned.

A little late to the party but I have been running Mobil-1 0W-40 European Formula in my 08 Vector since I purchased it in 2010. A year from now or next spring, I will be switching to your brand in Pennzoil 0W-30 as well.
Not that I've had bad luck or anything with the Mobil but I like Pennzoil products better and have been running them exclusively for quite a while now in all my other vehicles. (I just used up my last bit of Mobil this spring)

Curious, what are you guys using for filters? Since 2010 I have been using Hi-Flo filters, a HF-147 to be specific. Rumor has it these guys/company make them for Yamaha anyways. Same with Yamalube, Yamaha does not have its own refinery.

IMG_0181 (Large).JPG

IMG_0600 (Large).JPG

Back