CanAm OEM oil alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 CanAm Outlander L 450 purchased new in 2016 with 5 year warranty. OEM oil is available as 0w40 full syn or 5w40 blend and both are pricey. Thus far I have used the 5w40 blend which has no API donut but "meets" SM. 2015 manual says to use 5w40 SG, SH, or SJ oil if OEM oil is unavailable. I think the 2019 manual states SM.

1. Do these ATVs use a wet clutch? I think they probably don't if OEM oil is SM rated.

2. What alternative oils are you all using? I'm thinking of using Castrol Edge black bottle 5w40 or Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 since these are API SN and are the specd weight. (I think Rotella T6 opted out of the SN rating to keep high Zn/P)

It does have the belt drive. Mine is the single cylinder 450 which holds an additional quart than the 500 and the 450 specs no additional gear box lube like the 500 does.

Where do you usually get your filters? I may try to get one at NAPA.

Originally Posted by Carbon12
It does have the belt drive. Mine is the single cylinder 450 which holds an additional quart than the 500 and the 450 specs no additional gear box lube like the 500 does.

Where do you usually get your filters? I may try to get one at NAPA.

I bought some online...eBay I think but they didn't come with the oring. I bought those at the dealer.

Looked at Rotella T6 5-40 Syn today at Walmart and it says it JASO ma/ma2. About $20 gal.

Last edited:
W Viscosity affects flow well above freezing too. 75F is what, maybe 24C? in that area anyway. In engine terms that certainly cool. Thinner "W" will flow into smaller tighter machined tolerances better, not just flow better in freezing temps.

So yea, use 5W/40.

Rotella T-6 is the real deal. I use it vett's bikes, UTV's, my deere, the cars, everything. Hard to beat at any price, and a great value yo can get almost anywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back