Osh Kosh air show and Valdez Fly In

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning BITOGERS. Going to Osh Kosh air show soon but interested in the Valdez AK fly in.

Anyone been to either one of these air shows?

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Good morning BITOGERS. Going to Oshkosh air show soon .....
Anyone been to either one of these air shows?

I fixed it for you: Oshkosh is one word.

Yes, I used to go every year in the 1990's.
I have even brought in planes I have built... never won any awards for them - but had a blast, anyway!

Then life caught up to me.... haven't been in 19 years. 2000 was the last time.

Hopefully - - I can retire some year soon, and finish my current airplane. I will fly it there if I still have a good medical
grin2.gif

I'm pretty sure '' Cujet '' has probably been.

I've never met actually him, but I have "known of him" for probably 20 years from the "Harmon Rocket / Team F1 Rocket" groups, and well as Lister/Listeroid diesel engine groups. It's a Small World.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
I went to Oshkosh in 2000 and 2001 with Civil Air Patrol. I would go again in a heartbeat.

I've seen some kind of accident almost every year I have been.

I was there in 1999 when the Corsair and the Bearcat collided - I was close enough I felt the heat from the flames.
I saw what was about to happen and started to panic about a second before they collided - nothing you can do but watch.
I think the year before that I saw a P-51 do a belly landing because of a landing gear malfunction.

The aviation community is a small world....
I became friends with Bobby Younkin and Jimmy Franklin long before I had ever known they were performers!
It was a real punch to the gut when I heard about them passing in Moose Jaw. They were really great guys to know.

I still remember the crash I saw in 2000 while working the tower on 27. By "tower" I mean there is a stand on closer to the yellow dot where they have 2 CAP cadets with a pen, paper, a radio, and a pair of binoculars. We were supposed to write down the tail number of every plane that landed and note where we saw them turn off. This was so when that night the flight plans weren't closed and the FAA issued a missing plane notice, our search crews could find it easier. I think we also had a DF stick to help when the other cadets in our flight were out looking for ELTs that had gone off. So I was in the tower and this yellow pushed homebuilt is coming in for a landing and I notice they forgot to drop the nose gear. Obviously you can guess what happened next so my partner grabs the DF stick and sure enough 121.5 is going like crazy. I get on the radio and it went like this:

Me: Beret Base this is Tower, over.

BB: Go ahead Tower.

Me: There was an incident on the runway, a plane did a belly landing just short of the green dot, over.

BB: Roger, what type of plane, over.

Me: Uh its one of those homebuilts that looks like the Beechcraft Starcraft. Tail number November, xxxxxx. I don't think it is going to end up in a regular parking area, over.

BB: Thank you tower we have that noted

Me: Beret Base there is a very strong 121.5 coming from that plane, can we get the ELT team in a golf cart to follow it and get a find please? Over.

BB: Noted, Beret Base out.

That same year when my flight was on ES duty we got a military find. A Blackhawk crew member slammed one of the sliding doors too hard and set off the ELT and one of the guys in my flight caught it.

Also I made it a point to go check out the NASA Guppy. My grandpa was VP of manufacturing for Aero Spacelines.

I attended the 2003 Fly-in to celebrate 100th year of the Wright's
1st flight and their invention of the airplane...

I took a turn to tame the tricky 1903 Wright Flyer sim... I got it up
with out stalling and then threaded my way through all the obstacles
and finally ran out of gas over the ocean... whew it was intense!!!

I met up with my friend Jim Wright builder of the H1 replica that
proved to be so close to the original that the FAA granted him serial
#2... Jim was concerned about the degree of hail damage on the leading
edges of his wood wings... tragically on a the return flight from
Oshkosh 2003 Jim crashed and die destroying the H1 which took over
5000 hours of labor to complete... doubly sad for me because it would
have been featured in a Howard Hughes movie... however the original H1
serial #1 is still safe in the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum Washington...

Bud Anderson signed my log book and my hat... Bud lives 20 miles away
in Placerville...

Andy's Chipmunk...
[Linked Image]

1903 Wright Flyer Sim
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jim Wright
[Linked Image]

Hail Damaged Leading Edge...
[Linked Image]

Honda was a major sponsor so naturally they displayed Rossi's V5 MotoGp racer but with no security...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bud Anderson...
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back