2005 Dodge Sprinter, 2.7L OM647, 207.5k mi, 14.3 k mi on Rotella T6 5W40

This is my work van, and it gets driven a lot. I put between 500 and 1k miles on it almost every week. We have some customers that are 100-150 miles one way, so its not uncommon for me to do 5-6 hours of driving to do 2-3 hours of work.
I run the thing pretty hard. I have a tune on it thats supposed to bring the stock 154HP engine up closer to 200HP. It also disables the EGR function.
Recently I bought a handbuilt Scangauge type device. Its a Arudrino Mega with a touchscreen and a couple of CAN bus interfaces. It shows me a lot of information on the health of the engine I wouldnt otherwise know.
What Ive discovered is that the oil temperature on this engine runs about 220-240F pretty much all the time Im on the road. I believe thats pan, and there is a OTW cooler after the cartridge oil filter so thats knocking it down somewhat. Hills or long periods of high load raise that temperature easily. Theres a real nasty hill I climb on occassion. 12% grade, about 5 miles long and posted 50mph. I always keep it in 3rd gear with engine load between 80-90% all the way up maintaining 55mph. When I crest the top of the hill, pan temperature is 260-265F.
With that in mind, Ive converted to the new Rotella T6 15W40 for improved HTHS and NOACK. So my next change will be with that.
I did have to add 2qts to the engine over the course of this change. Thats another cool feature of the Arduino, it reads the oil pan level and displays it in mm, so I always know when my engine oil is at, and when I need to add some top off.
Total run was 14,266 miles, and that was determined by the Mercedes ASSYST function. It starts at 10k miles remaining after a change, but usually ends up stretching it out farther, as that is I guess a worst case scenario.
Lab is OAI
Code

Iron 46

Chromium 4

Aluminium 9

Copper 1

Silicon 9

Sodium 15

Potassium 3

Boron 146

Magnesium 98

Calcium 2394

Phosphorus 1052

Zinc 1267

Fuel
Water
Soot 0.2% - E2412

cSt@100C 15.5

TBN 5.01

Oxidation 15 abs/cm

Nitration 9 abs/0.1mm

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
potassium and sodium??

OAI did not draw attention to it. The only thing they 'flagged' was Chromium and it was only a Severity 1.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I think that looks fantastic for 14K miles.. I doubt that you will do better with 15w40.

Yeah, I was impressed. Depending on how much longer I have the van, I may change the filter at the next interval the ASSYST goes off at, take a sample, then top it off and run another interval. That would be 28k or so? There would probably be at a gallon of top off too.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws
I think that looks fantastic for 14K miles.. I doubt that you will do better with 15w40.

Yeah, I was impressed. Depending on how much longer I have the van, I may change the filter at the next interval the ASSYST goes off at, take a sample, then top it off and run another interval. That would be 28k or so? There would probably be at a gallon of top off too.

That's crarzy.

The oil has thickened and the TBN is 50% depleted. I've never seen a group III synthetic perform well above 15K miles on a diesel engine. That oil is done and pushing it above 15K is foolish.

If you want to go above 15K try one of the group IV synthetics.

If you decide to sell the van send me a message.

Thanks for the report, I have a 2005 Sprinter as well and normally run 0w40 from Valvoline or Mobil 1. I have used Rotella T6 5w40 in other diesels before but never tried it in a Sprinter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CleverUserName

That's crarzy.

The oil has thickened and the TBN is 50% depleted. I've never seen a group III synthetic perform well above 15K miles on a diesel engine. That oil is done and pushing it above 15K is foolish.

Visc is only 4% over the spec sheet, Im not concerned with it. Oxidation # doesnt seem to indicate the oil is stressed. TBN doesnt necessarily drop linearly.
In all honesty I wouldnt go double OCI right off the bat, maybe shoot for ~25k, and at least get another sample at that point.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName

That's crarzy.

Visc is only 4% over the spec sheet, Im not concerned with it. Oxidation # doesnt seem to indicate the oil is stressed. TBN doesnt necessarily drop linearly.
In all honesty I wouldnt go double OCI right off the bat, maybe shoot for ~25k, and at least get another sample at that point.

My concern would be at what mileage points did you have to add oil? I am changing my Sprinter's oil today and it has gone a year and 10,000 miles without any oil consumption issues noted. I will measure what drains out but to say that has never been an problem with my van's engine and it is currently sitting at 168,000 miles.

I dont consider 2 quarts in over 14k to be any sort of a problem or issue. As I said I run it hard and so I expect it to consume some oil. That has been my experience in the past with other vehicles. I dont keep track of when oil was added. It wasnt consuming more later in the OCI vs earlier however.

Back