Rotella T 15W40 43,500 Kms On 93 Cummins 6bt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: A310
My latest oil analysis with the MotorGuard added in series with the Puradyn MTS-24

Oil flows through the Puradyn MTS-24 first... then through the MotorGuard?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: A310
My latest oil analysis with the MotorGuard added in series with the Puradyn MTS-24

Oil flows through the Puradyn MTS-24 first... then through the MotorGuard?

No, it runs through the MotorGuard first, then through the Puradyn MTS-24. Here's some pictures:

That early 6BT sure is a sweet engine. Fairly low power density compared to the new engines but wow look at the results. To top it off they're using regular old T4 and not something exotic. Really a great report.

Yes the 6BT's are awesome engines, just a pleasure to run. The engine runs like the day it rolled off the factory floor, no smoke, blowby and uses very little oil.

The wear is admirably low; yes.

However, it may well be that the twin filters are scrubbing the evidence of wear from the UOA sample. Such "extra" filtration is likely removing Fe (and anything else) under 5um. It won't remove all particles, but it is altering the actual values. Filtration that stout is going to be taking particles from 2-5um out of the stream with a reasonable amount of efficiency. Therefore, the UOA isn't going to see the whole view of what's happening. You can see the effect in that really small stuff is staying in the system; the Fe ppm is accumulating, so the count is slowly going up. But the "larger" stuff (probably 2um+) is being scrubbed out.

Additionally, using the MG means you're changing elements fairly often, right? So a portion of the volume of total sump is "new" (reasonably clean) upon introduction. That dilutes the sample further, which alters ppm. I cannot tell you how much it does so; you'd need to calculate it via the volume ratios. How often are you going to have to FCI the MG filter?

I'm not knocking the UOA; it is what it is. But we need to view it for what it is ... altered via removal of some portion of the wear particulate, and diluted to some degree.

It's a nice set-up on a good ol' engine.

Last edited:
Excellent!!

I can't remember where on the Puradyn site I saw it, but there is a letter from the owner/operator/Captain of a boat that uses the Puradyn filter system that has changed oil only twice in 32 years, once due to an unrelated mechanical failure that diluted the oil.

Your system appears sustainable. I currently have about 33K+ (53K km) miles on my system (with a Puradyn and other goodies); I will post Blackstone report in another few thousand miles.

Ignore the naysayers; I do. There are 3 types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who say "What happened?" A large part of this forum is the latter two.

Let me understand this. You have TWO bypass filters in series, in addition to the stock filter(s)?

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Excellent!!

I can't remember where on the Puradyn site I saw it, but there is a letter from the owner/operator/Captain of a boat that uses the Puradyn filter system that has changed oil only twice in 32 years, once due to an unrelated mechanical failure that diluted the oil.

Your system appears sustainable. I currently have about 33K+ (53K km) miles on my system (with a Puradyn and other goodies); I will post Blackstone report in another few thousand miles.

Ignore the naysayers; I do. There are 3 types of people in this world; those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who say "What happened?" A large part of this forum is the latter two.

Thanks, I'll continue with this system and see how it works out.:) At the moment I'll be changing the toilet paper every 5000 miles and see how that works. I'm coming up to 25000 miles on the Amsoil full flow, so that will get changed out at the end of the year. All in all I'm very happy with the setup.:) Be looking forward to you seeing you next report.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Let me understand this. You have TWO bypass filters in series, in addition to the stock filter(s)?

Charlie

That's correct:)

Looking Good A310
Keep doing what your doing. I agree with Ihatetochangeoil, your system appears sustainable. I'm currently 67,000 miles into my own bypass experiment. I'll post results in a few months at 75,000 miles.

FCIs for the MG filter every 5k miles.
And you add 1.5 ltrs every FCI, right?

So how many miles represent a full OCI? IOW - how many liters used for the MG FCI will make for a sump exchange?
Presuming 15 qrts for the sump; you OCI about every 9th FCI (give or take a bit)
So 9 FCI x 5k miles is roughly one OCI every 45k miles.
Plus, you FCI the Amsoil FF filter every 25k miles? That's probably a qrt or more? (not sure which EaO you're using).
It's hard to make that FF cycle fit exactly into the MG BP regime, but we could say you're probably doing (roughly) a staggered OCI every 35-40k miles.
You're changing oil, just not all at once!

Also, why the mixed UoMs? (Miles for distance but liters for volume?)

I'm not lambasting the fun you're having. Nothing wrong with experimenting. Just need to keep a good tree-top view of things and realize the whole situation and not get mired (excited) about the details without understanding the top-level view.

Two BP systems plus OCIs every 40k miles will make for a really clean sump!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crusher
Looking Good A310
Keep doing what your doing. I agree with Ihatetochangeoil, your system appears sustainable. I'm currently 67,000 miles into my own bypass experiment. I'll post results in a few months at 75,000 miles.

Thanks Crusher. Looking forward to your results:)

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
FCIs for the MG filter every 5k miles.
And you add 1.5 ltrs every FCI, right?

So how many miles represent a full OCI? IOW - how many liters used for the MG FCI will make for a sump exchange?
Presuming 15 qrts for the sump; you OCI about every 9th FCI (give or take a bit)
So 9 FCI x 5k miles is roughly one OCI every 45k miles.
Plus, you FCI the Amsoil FF filter every 25k miles? That's probably a qrt or more? (not sure which EaO you're using).
It's hard to make that FF cycle fit exactly into the MG BP regime, but we could say you're probably doing (roughly) a staggered OCI every 35-40k miles.
You're changing oil, just not all at once!

Also, why the mixed UoMs? (Miles for distance but liters for volume?)

I'm not lambasting the fun you're having. Nothing wrong with experimenting. Just need to keep a good tree-top view of things and realize the whole situation and not get mired (excited) about the details without understanding the top-level view.

Two BP systems plus OCIs every 40k miles will make for a really clean sump!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes you are correct, it's basically an oil change every 35,000-40,000 miles. This however is a huge leap for me who changed oil every 10,000 miles before adding a bypass and using oil analysis to determine when to change the oil. The MotorGuard is a new addition to the Puradyn MTS-24 in the last 5000 miles. The reason I installed the MG, was to keep the TBN up on the oil and reduce the replacement of the Puradyn MTS-24 filters. As this is my sisters truck, I only see it 4 times a year to service it and that's where I get the 5000 miles from. It only takes me 5 minutes to swap out the MG filter and add 1.5 ltrs of oil to the truck. I then do a grease job on it and an overall inspection and away it goes for another 3 months, for me that's a win win.:) The Amsoil Full flow I'm using is the EA080 which is about a ltr of oil and Amsoil recommends a change every 25000 miles. As this is the first Amsoil full flow filter I've used I'm changing it out and cut open to inspect. I'll be replacing it with another EA080 unit and if the results are good on the first filter I'll extend the service to 35000 miles as having the bypass system I'll be able to extend change intervals. I'm taking baby steps on this unit as I'm new to extending oil drain intervals. If after several more oil tests I find that everything is still ok, then I might start changing the MG filter every 10,000 miles or until the unit is getting cold. As the Cummins is such a great engine I can't see why it would not go to 10,000 miles on a MG filter, but we will see.
As far as the Units are concerned I do apologize, I grew up using imperial measurements, then they changed to metric the last few years of school. To make matters worse I flew for 30 years as an airline pilot in Canada, Middle East and the last 18 years in Hong Kong. I'm just used to using distance in miles and fuel,oil in KG and ltrs.

OSF (oil stress factor) = 1/R * (1 - exp(-Rt/V))
R = specific oil consumption gm/kWh
t = oil hrs
V = specific oil volume gm/kW
This is the solution to the mixing problem

Charlie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back