Used Brake Calipers

My Silverado front left caliper caused me some problems on the way home today,locked almost completely up and required about me to drive very slow,with heavy throttle for about 5 miles.

Rotor is toast,and pads got really burnt up. Everything got very hot,the wheel was scalding hot.

So anyways it needs a caliper,the local Auto recycling place has one off a 2013 express Van that had 44k miles on it for $30 with a $15 core and 180 day warranty.

Should I give it a shot to save 40 bucks over a rebuilt carquest one or is it to risky. Anybody have any experience with junkyard calipers vs the rebuilt at the big chains?

Thanks

If the calipers aren't excessively rusted, pistons aren't damaged/seized you should be fine with junkyard calipers.

Replace the rubber brake lines whether you get used or reman calipers. It's possible the brake hose internally collapsed causing the caliper to lock up.

Get the Raybestos Element3 all-NEW calipers on Rock Auto. They are all-new, not reman

You should replace both front calipers.

Didn't have the option to stop and try to fix it or tow it? All that heat probably put a lot of surrounding parts in jeopardy.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Didn't have the option to stop and try to fix it or tow it? All that heat probably put a lot of surrounding parts in jeopardy.

Ya, you're lucky you didn't boil the brake fluid and lose all braking power.

I've had a total of 3 calipers stick in my lifetime on different vehicles all from setting for 6 months or so. Just get a NAPA rebuilt one. Last time I bought one they were $26.

Yes, exactly. These are your brakes you're talking about. If you're going to do it, do it right and get remans at least!

Actually I disagree with most of the people on this thread.

Rebuilt calipers can be pretty poor in quality and can easily end up seizing on you a year or two down the road. Upon close inspection of these things you'll notice some scratches and knicks on surfaces that just shouldn't be there. Think about it, they are being rebuilt because they failed once already...and they are being "rebuilt", god knows where and by god knows who. I'm not saying it's all catastrophic, I'm just saying the used caliper with 44k miles on it might actually be a better option. My 2 cents.

+1 That is about the size of it, reman/rebuilt are pretty bad. Used is okay if it is in good shape or Raybestos Element 3 new are very good.

You can buy a rebuild kit for a few dollars and rebuild the one you have. Pretty easy just need a disc brake hone.

I agree with replacing the flex brake lines if they are over 10 yr old and you had a problem that makes them suspect.

How important to save the $40?

Originally Posted by Trav
+1 That is about the size of it, reman/rebuilt are pretty bad. Used is okay if it is in good shape or Raybestos Element 3 new are very good.

Looking at these for my Accord and they're about the same price as Cardone rebuilt, that need a core return.

Makes me wonder why rebuilts aren't obsolete.

Originally Posted by MarkM66
Originally Posted by Trav

Looking at these for my Accord and they're about the same price as Cardone rebuilt, that need a core return.

Makes me wonder why rebuilts aren't obsolete.

Because the Element3 are often significantly more expensive. Last vehicle I did brakes on, those were 75% higher priced. Granted there's some value in not having to drive or mail in cores, and in getting new calipers, but some will just do the cheapest fix possible.

Went to the junkyard to look at the used caliper for $35,awful looking caliper,Rusty and full of dirt. So I left went to the Chevy Dealer 2 miles up the road,got a brand new one for 110.00 out the door,did not come with bracket.Did not need one just cleaned + greased the the pins.So got a new rubber to hard line hose at Napa and a set of pads and rotors.

All fixed now, no more problems,still waiting on my vacuum bleeder from Amazon,to get the pedal perfect,but probably won't ever even think about junkyard calipers again,unless it's a farm use truck or something like that.

Thanks for the help.

Junkyards here refuse to sell them. They will rust up within a few months of sitting outside, which is the case with almost every junked car.

Back