Switched to BFG T/A Sports and now Steering is lumpy?

This will sound strange but my dad's 06 Accord V6 went from driving nice to feeling like there are hard spots in the steering after switching from Cooper RS3 G1's to BGF T/A Sports. Creates a very awkward driving experience. The effort to turn the wheel when you're driving varies lock to lock (easy/harder/easy/harder) and seems worse on hotter days. Seems to do it at any speed but is most annoying driving along making minor corrections for the road, or changing lanes. The T/A Sports were my choice, I liked the aggressive tread. The Coopers were great too but wore quickly and aren't really capable in the snow unless they're brand new. Car was aligned about a year ago, tracks straight, doesn't have anything odd like a caliper hanging.

Tires are not directional. Stock Size. Compared to the Coopers the sidewall is alot stiffer. Getting them mounted was a pain, like most tires with curb guard. Tire Rack had no interest in the issue. Maybe something with the extra weight of the V6 or this grippier tire letting another issue shine through?

About 6 months ago I flushed the power steering since the inlet hose had a bad seal and was sucking air on cold start. (Common problem) I used the Car Quest Honda specific fluid. The suspension has 140k on it but everything is tight, maybe the rear is sitting a tad lower than it would with a fresh strut.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
Performance tires have better road feel.

The Cooper RS3 G1's hes coming from arent exactly standard passenger tire either though.

Originally Posted by Rand

The Cooper RS3 G1's hes coming from arent exactly standard passenger tire either though.

I've never run Coopers, but I have run a few sets of BFG Comp TA R1's, and the road feel they give is positively indecent.

I'm pretty sure they are balanced but out of round. I had something very similar happen years ago. Discovered it by switching front and rear.

We have the same tires on our CRV and they are great tires! - but based on other reviews I've come across, the occasional out-of-rounder has been had with this tire.

-m

I'd double check your lug nuts, tire pressure, and power steering belt/serpentine belt tension. Being that it's a V6 the belts are probably quite a lot of fun to get to.
smile.gif

Considering that you're feeling this "notchiness" in the wheel even at highway speeds and when making small corrections, I'd lean towards a possibly bad tire. They can be balanced/not vibrate but still drive strangely. It might be worth swapping the fronts and rears if you have the time to do so.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I thought BFG as a company does not offer a warranty on their tires. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

To better describe the steering/turning issue. It's like steering with the power steering flashing on and off while you turn. Only when moving. I would say for a less experienced driver, in some type of fast-acting situation, this could cause an accident. I haven't experienced anything like and I have driven plenty of cars with aggressive/summer tires. Something is wrong. Belts(newer), lugs nuts etc are all torqued properly. Even the motor mounts are newer.

The Cooper was actually more of a performance tire than the BFG. The BFG is a sporty all season but tread is really gnarly.

It's possible the p/s is on its way out, or a belt is slipping. It may be time for a new belt tensioner. Not too expensive.

I agree with the previous suggestions... rotate tires, check belts first. The cheap and simple stuff first.

The serpentine belt is newer and tension seems very good, the belt really wraps around the PS pump. However, if it was a an issue like that, I would think that steering lock to the lock in the driveway would produce the same weird feel, but the car has to be moving.

I appreciate all the input. Next is start moving wheels/tires around.

I was curious if the new tires are somehow letting a P/S or rack issue show up that the old Coopers just didn't have enough bite to cause.

They look fine. Front end is tight.

I read that the steering rack resistance is adjustable in this Honda, and it's a common issue to need to adjust the similar era van but I see people in accords, acuras etc that do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1KS1Z6z3I8

Last edited:
So, surprisingly, putting the passenger front tire on the driver front, and vice-versa solved this problem almost entirely. Essentially reversing the direction of the tread.

This is good enough for me as far as a solution.

Back