Mahle = Made in Taiwan?

I received my exhaust manifold gaskets today for my 2002 Ford F-150 and was surprised to see the part from Mahle (MS19535) state "Made in Taiwan" on the package.

Am I late to the party?

Last edited:
Everyone makes stuff everywhere nowadays. We got some Name Brand Kevlar cog belts at work the other day that were from Vietnam.

That is nuts... 20 years ago when I owned a few BMW's, Mahle was pretty consistently from Germany..

Originally Posted by Twisted1
That is nuts... 20 years ago when I owned a few BMW's, Mahle was pretty consistently from Germany..

A while back I posted where some OEM parts I got from the dealer for my old BMW were made in China.

It's a German company. Not surprised their domestic (to the US) parts aren't made in Germany, Austria etc.

I would've went with OE assuming it was still available.

Last edited:
Mahle recently bought out Clevite, and if they aren't the OEM gasket supplier, they will source from whoever has it.

Fel-Pro is fond of Taiwanese seals and gaskets, I've installed their IMGs on a newer Nissan and my parent's van. The Nissan ones are Taiwanese, the Toyota one is Chinese - I just needed the plenum gasket.

Fel-Pro is made in the US
smile.gif

I've seen OEM parts made in Czech Republic and Austria in my Audi
15.gif

I wanted a German car, not some mutt assembled with parts from I don't know where

Originally Posted by kschachn

A while back I posted where some OEM parts I got from the dealer for my old BMW were made in China.

COO USA parts are getting rare it seems..

Originally Posted by dlundblad
It's a German company. Not surprised their domestic (to the US) parts aren't made in Germany, Austria etc.

I would've went with OE assuming it was still available.

The kicker is that Mahle is the OEM supplier for these specific gaskets... some of the older ones came with the Ford PN and the Ford logo scratched off..

Originally Posted by nthach
Mahle recently bought out Clevite, and if they aren't the OEM gasket supplier, they will source from whoever has it.

Fel-Pro is fond of Taiwanese seals and gaskets, I've installed their IMGs on a newer Nissan and my parent's van. The Nissan ones are Taiwanese, the Toyota one is Chinese - I just needed the plenum gasket.

I gave up on Fel-Pro after I went on a wild goose chase looking for a leak on my 01 Mustang GT. Ended up being the Fel-Pro intake manifold gaskets that were changed 6,000 miles prior. Luckily the change out wasn't hard at all!

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
15.gif

I wanted a German car, not some mutt assembled with parts from I don't know where

I heard that! You'd expect some COO consistency with the parts as they were intended..

I put a new Motorcraft AC compressor on a Ford truck this week. The Motorcraft Compressor was made in Korea and the Accumulator China.

Originally Posted by Chris142

I put a new Motorcraft AC compressor on a Ford truck this week. The Motorcraft Compressor was made in Korea and the Accumulator China.

Now way!! If Motorcraft is doing that then there's almost no hope.. lol

Now way!! If Motorcraft is doing that then there's almost no hope.. lol

It's been happening for a while - Visteon, then owned by Ford had a joint venture with a Korean company for AC compressors - Visteon Halla. The Koreans bought on Visteon's share and they've been making that design since.

Where did you order them from? There are a TON of counterfeit parts out there. The automakers are having a heck of a time shutting this stuff down. It's like playing whack-a-mole.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
15.gif

Just bought an Audi Q3....majority parts made there! Far as I can tell, its put together nicely.

Like most mega suppliers these days, Mahle is multinational.
Here's an excerpt from their corp blurb:

80,000 employees work in 160+ production plants and sixteen major research and development centers in Germany, Great Britain, United States, Brazil, Japan, China, India, Spain, Slovenia and Luxembourg.

From what I have seen, Mahle filters for European cars are all made in Europe. But Mahle filters for North American and Asian cars tend to come from other sources.

Mahle makes some good product. So does many of the other European filter manufacturers, such as Mann, Hengst, and Purflux.

Back