Mike L trans cooler on gas engine

Hello, I would like to upgrade my transmission cooler in my '03 GMC 1500HD.. It has the 6.0L with the 4L80E trans.. I put an aftermarket one in that is a little larger but not fully satisfied with its performance. It has done better than stock, but still want something better. It seems the best cooler is the "Mike L" cooler, but it is for the diesels. I have asked may people and trans shops if it would work with the gas engine trucks, but everyone says they dont know.. So I am going to ask here. Anyone use a Mike L cooler? does anyone know if it would work on a gas truck?

Allison 1000's have 1/2" cooler lines opposed to 3/8" on your 4L80E. I usually use a Trucool LDP 20K on trucks like yours & Setrab on higher end stuff.

You could call Mike and ask him, he answers his phone (714) 870-7300

I put a Ford 6.0L cooler in my Ford 7.3L, same deal, 7.3L was 3/8", I used brass adapters 3/8" to 1/2" no leaks for 15 years. The 6.0L cooler is huge!

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
You could call Mike and ask him, he answers his phone (714) 870-7300

I put a Ford 6.0L cooler in my Ford 7.3L, same deal, 7.3L was 3/8", I used brass adapters 3/8" to 1/2" no leaks for 15 years. The 6.0L cooler is huge!

I did call a while ago, I was told "I don't know, sorry"... I didnt feel like buying one to look and see..

Your main concern would be whether the gas and diesel trucks have the same mounting points for the cooler, other than that, you may have to buy some line adapters etc.

I put a Tru Cool 40k on my 2500HD. I will send you photos when I get home. The install should be almost identical.

Just tooling around temps were 100 to 130. Towing 7800 lbs in 95 to 100 degree heat up long grades I never saw over 180

I found them.

This is in my old 02 2500HD, should be almost identical to your truck. I was really happy with it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I know that doesn't answer your question, but the trucool works really well with the 6.0, lots of people use it.

What makes you not satisfied with the cooler you have now?

Your not plumbing it through the radiator and then through the aftermarket cooler are you mike?

OP why wouldn't it work on a gas truck?
My latest 4l80E core was in an express van with a Duramax.
Earls makes trans cooler fittings for the 4l80 that convert the stock fittings to 3/8 AN. Then just run you 1/2" lines to the cooler. I think it wold work just fine. Or am I missing something here.

Originally Posted by P10crew
Your not plumbing it through the radiator and then through the aftermarket cooler are you mike?

I am or it wouldn't get warm enough in winter. In fact the factory hookup to the cooler is straight from the stock trans line.
The other is stock, cut, flared and then as you can see the hose connects from that to the cooler.

Running around town it stays between 120 to 130. Towing in summer 165, on the long grades in the desert in Washington 180ish turning 3800 to 4500 rpm running at 65mph. That is a combined weight of about 15,600lbs scaled.
The larger cooler kept it cool longer and cooled off much quicker than the stock and previous aftermarket cooler I had.
Stock cooler VS first aftermarket cooler. These are tiny compared to 40K trucool
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Most 6.0 guys run it just like this because you just run the stock lines.

Ah ha. I've wanted to ask CLine about this for quite some time.
I installed a 20k cooler on my 90 700r4 but I ditched the line through the rad.
The first thing my daddyo did to any tow rig that we got was install a giant cooler and ditch the line to the rad.
Zero tranny problems that I recall and we towed race cars many a thousands of miles during the summer months.

We need some sort of diverter valve that based on ambient temp it could divert oil away from the rad.

Originally Posted by P10crew
We need some sort of diverter valve that based on ambient temp it could divert oil away from the rad.

A thermostatic bypass. They make them for just this purpose. Do you need one? I have one you can have. Brand new.

Lol no my hot rods are all ran directly to the cooler.
The 1 time that I pulled through the mountains with my new 6.0 tranny oil temp only got to 145 as I remember.
What brand is that valve?

Last edited:
I put on a B&M 70266 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler on my truck. From what I read it was the closest to a bolt in option for my truck. I want to redo my mounting (that's my fault, should have thought it out better), and the adapters I used seem to take up too much room. So I feel the cooler lines have slight tension pushing down on them. The cooler itself is of fine quality and has done alright, but I was hoping for a little better cooling from it. Since the Mike L is a pretty much bolt in unit, I would like to use that, I dont want to cut my lines and still want it hard lined in.

Back