Can the coolant in the reservoir fluctuate from day to day?

2015 Subaru Crosstrek
A week ago I checked the coolant first thing in the morning and it sat between the cold and hot indicators in the reservoir tank. Today I checked it first thing in the morning and it's sitting right above the cold line indicator. There are no visible leaks anywhere and no white smoke coming from the exhaust. Thanks.

Thermal expansion. It'll be lower in cold weather, and higher when the engine is hot. That is why it has hot and cold marks on the bottle.

It should be at the same spot every time when it's dead cold. Unless the outside temp changes drastically from the last time you checked it. Went through this with my truck.

[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]

There should also be a overflow tube where excess fluid will drain if the level gets too high. But in your case it sounds like the fluid level is just reflective of a temp change.

As long as it doesn't continue to drop I wouldn't be worried. You should be able to go nearly forever without adding coolant if it doesn't leak out.

Originally Posted by Jeep_Riot
2015 Subaru Crosstrek
A week ago I checked the coolant first thing in the morning and it sat between the cold and hot indicators in the reservoir tank. Today I checked it first thing in the morning and it's sitting right above the cold line indicator. There are no visible leaks anywhere and no white smoke coming from the exhaust. Thanks.

well it is a Subaru

Back