Using fuel stabilizer in our vehicles now?

Like many of you, were not driving much lately. In fact, both of our vehicles were filled up 4 weeks ago, and still have about a half tank left. Should I consider adding some sort of fuel stabilizer to the tanks? The gas contains ~10% ethanol FWIW. I have some Sea Foam on hand, which I use to stabilize the ethanol-free fuel for my OPE, and it got me thinking...

I don't add any to mine. Not even my Jeep, which hasn't moved since last Fall. IMO, not needed in a sealed EFI system.

Consider how many thousands of vehicles sit on dealer lots, sometimes for a year or more, waiting to be bought.

Originally Posted by Klutch9
Like many of you, were not driving much lately. In fact, both of our vehicles were filled up 4 weeks ago, and still have about a half tank left. Should I consider adding some sort of fuel stabilizer to the tanks? The gas contains ~10% ethanol FWIW. I have some Sea Foam on hand, which I use to stabilize the ethanol-free fuel for my OPE, and it got me thinking...

If you used non ethanol fuel you dont need Seafoam as it contains alcohol. Just keep them full. Non ethanol can last long time.

My MG gets a dose of it at every fill up. That's partially because the system is completely open, and partially because at a given fill up it's hard to say if I'm going to fill it up again in two days or if the next day I'm going to wake up and start to work on a project that ends up taking 3 months. Under ordinary circumstances, I average 1 fill up this month, but with nice weather and nothing else today, it was more toward every couple of days until it went into the shop earlier this week(finally installing an O/D and maybe rings+cam).

New cars-they're sealed up well enough and are also fairly tolerant of less than great fuel. If I knew I was going to park one for a couple of months, I might give it a shot but otherwise I wouldn't. These days, with gas cheap, I do usually top them off once a week, which both keeps the tanks mostly full and also makes sure that they are at least getting some fresh regularly.

I put a dose of Star tron in mine. Rather be safe than sorry. Nothing worse than a full tank of stale fuel when I need to depend on the vehicles again.

Originally Posted by Marco620

If you used non ethanol fuel you dont need Seafoam as it contains alcohol. Just keep them full. Non ethanol can last long time.

Since I'm on work from home(and soon furlough) I can't do a GC-MS as I usually would to answer the question, but I'd always thought Sta-Bil was isopropyl alcohol rather than ethanol as used in gasoline blends.

There are good reasons as to why IPA is somewhat less likely to "spoil" in gas than ethanol. For one, it's less volatile. For another, if it oxidizes acetone is the "end of the line" whereas ethanol can oxidize to acetic acid.

I read or saw a video, where they stated that using Sea Foam does not really help as a fuel stabilizer.

Before I obtained it, there was a period where my truck was driven once a year - to get inspected and back home. There was actually less than 100 miles between a few inspections it had. Each time it fired right up after sitting a (literal) year. Honestly surprised the little harbor freight trickle charger kept the battery up.

I work at an auto parts store and there are two things we're selling... Car batteries and car wash stuff. One because people are letting their cars sit and one because people are bored. Guess what we aren't selling any more of than normal? Fuel stabilizer. Because honestly gas will easily last a few months.

I don't think it will hurt to put a bit of stabil or similar in there. I routinely park some of my cars for months at a time. I try to use stabil or a splash of TCw-3 when I know I'm going to be doing so (eg, for a winter sit in the garage), but dont always remember to do so. No issues.

But it's a good best practice. Not sure if stabil vs sea foam vs whatever else truly has a "best", but what you use is perhaps a cross between what you have in stock and what's best for that application. I'm generally less a fan of introducing lots of new solvent into the tank unless it's on purpose for cleaning at the end of an OCI. So I prefer stabil or the tcw oil, which I understand includes some stabilizer capability.

If it's a sealed system, like virtually every vehicle built in the last 30 years, then you don't need stabilizer because there is no exchange of air in and out of your tank. Fuel will last for many years in a SEALED container or fuel system. Outdoor power equipment for the most part does not have a sealed system so you would be wise to use stabilizer in those things. Boats are not sealed systems, so stabilize those.

Originally Posted by another Todd
If it's a sealed system, like virtually every vehicle built in the last 30 years, then you don't need stabilizer because there is no exchange of air in and out of your tank. Fuel will last for many years in a SEALED container or fuel system. Outdoor power equipment for the most part does not have a sealed system so you would be wise to use stabilizer in those things. Boats are not sealed systems, so stabilize those.

Fair point. Assuming it's pretty full, minimal air headspace. That's not always the case.

As I recall, gasoline gums form from the oxidation of certain constituents.

Logic would then dictate perhaps that stabilizers are better suited for summertime storage if you think your tank will be less than full for an extended period.

Modern vehicles like those in your signature should have no issue with E10 gas. I once parked the Volvo for three months with E10 in the tank, after which it started right up and ran as if nothing had happened. This Covid-19 thing will be over soon; worry more about your social interactions than your vehicle until it is.

Just fill-up every time the tank hits half full if the vehicle isn't being driven a whole bunch right now.

Back