2006 Accord V6 odd delay crank then later, no crank.

I got in the Accord tonight, turned the key and then there was a delay before it quickly fired up. About 1.5 seconds extra before it started cranking. No extra noises or clicks. That was odd I thought, so I shut it off and restarted it, normal start. Later I went to start the car again and there was no crank. All the dash lights were on like normal, there was no clicking or anything odd. I turned the key off and on again, and it fired right up.

I searched around google and didn't see anyone with the same exact issue in the same car.

I hate intermittent problems.

My TL had a similar problem, but it was accompanied by a very faint underhood click. Ended up being the starter. There was no rhyme or reason. Hot/Cold didn't seem to matter. Might go a week between failures or it might fail twice in a day. I would check the connections at the starter since you're in the salt belt. Make sure they are clean and tight. Should be right there to the left of the battery. Double check the factory grounding points as well while you're in there.

My dad has a 2011 Accord V6 that would do the same thing. He proactively replaced the starter after finding out he wasn't the only one having that issue. Hasn't come back since (2017 replacement?)

Make sure battery is ok. My mother had a 2003 Accord and something funny was going on with the battery. The voltage would come and go as something was wrong internally.

Not a battery issue, newer Deka in there. I did several starts and it was perfect today.

I am hoping to get a repeat issue to try swapping the starter relay. (same as rear defrost). I will check cables, this car didn't see much salt/snow over the years so that is low on my list. The key is a good thought, I don't know how honda's system works. Will check it.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Cam or crankshaft position sensor ?

In my experience with other cars they usually cause long/excessive cranking. But, with Honda, it could be different.

Those Honda K-series starters are notorious for doing weird things before failing...but I would check the neutral safety switch...

Just to update incase anyone finds this thread in the future looking for information. I haven't had the issue again and I haven't found anything wrong, but I did find a guy with the same problem who has a Honda Pilot, same vintage. Cause was a bad Range Switch. He noticed that when it was giving a no crank or delayed crank, the P and D were lighting up on his dash.

I will watch for that next time it happens to me.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
I got in the Accord tonight, turned the key and then there was a delay before it quickly fired up. About 1.5 seconds extra before it started cranking. No extra noises or clicks. That was odd I thought, so I shut it off and restarted it, normal start. Later I went to start the car again and there was no crank. All the dash lights were on like normal, there was no clicking or anything odd. I turned the key off and on again, and it fired right up.

I searched around google and didn't see anyone with the same exact issue in the same car.

If the battery checks out fine, the culprit is the starter. Happened to me on my Accord. I just ignored it a few times, then it ended up on a tow truck. lol

Update: So nearly 20,000 miles later this no start finally happened again. I noticed something odd this time. I got in the car and turned the key to on but didn't try to start it because I was looking around for something in the car. This Accord has had a weird issue with the dome lights for many years. Only the passenger side front dome light comes on when the door is open. (rears work fine) The driver side can be turned on manually but it will never work properly (door open/turns on). I've tried to figure this out and have swapped and replaced bulbs around, doesn't change anything. I had the drivers side on manually. Shut it off, then tried to start the car and nothing. No crank. Key off, key on, fired right up. Then the next time I was in the car I triend to duplicate this scenario but the driver dome light didn't turn on at all this time, weird. Then I started the car and it came on.

When it happened last year, I do remember that the sat for a period of time with the key on before I tried to start it and it gave me an issue.

I don't have a clue what the root cause is but I might be getting closer to figuring it out.

Back