14 Forester XT Starter Going Bad

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
~78k miles

Started a couple of months ago, getting worse

Symptoms: starter is whirring noise is louder and continues for a second after the engine is started before loudly winding down. According to the all-knowing etherwebs, the starter is going bad.

Confirmation: The dealer confirmed that the clutch is not disengaging when it should, resulting in the excessive noise. They recommend replacement.

Cost: $380 for a Subaru reman. with 12-month warranty. For that price and it being a Subaru reman, I'm going to let them do the job.
-----New OE starter is $359.09

Thoughts? I have the capability to replace a starter, but have never done it. I fear the hardest part will be getting the intercooler off. I had a heckuva time getting the intake ducting between the air box and turbo off while replacing the passenger-side spark plugs, it was so stuck together.

A lot of VW starters do this, they need the shaft where the drive rides greasing with a high temp grease. After that they are no more trouble.
Not saying that is the case with the Subaru starter but its worth a look. Personally I would buy something like this from a 2018 and toss it in. For 45 bucks and free shipping you cant go wrong.

Up for sale is the starter removed from a 2018 Subaru Forester it was removed in good working condition

Starter

Originally Posted by gathermewool
.....Symptoms: starter is whirring noise is louder and continues for a second after the engine is started before loudly winding down....

Check out: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthr...mble-grease-reinstall-w-pics-218329.html

Cost: $380 for a Subaru reman. with 12-month warranty. For that price and it being a Subaru reman, I'm going to let them do the job.

Why does the new starter cost less than the rebuilt starter?

Originally Posted by CT8
Get the starter fixed.

That's the plan. I'll be deciding over the weekend whether to do it myself, is the issue.

My plan is to see if I can get the intercooler and starter off myself easily before doing the job. IF I can easily get it off I'll look for a replacement and do the job myself. IF it's not possible for this shade-tree mechanic I'll have the dealer install the reman. for the above price, which I think is reasonable.

Originally Posted by Trav
A lot of VW starters do this, they need the shaft where the drive rides greasing with a high temp grease. After that they are no more trouble.
Not saying that is the case with the Subaru starter but its worth a look. Personally I would buy something like this from a 2018 and toss it in. For 45 bucks and free shipping you cant go wrong.

Up for sale is the starter removed from a 2018 Subaru Forester it was removed in good working condition

Starter

That's for the 2.5L. I searched for one for my XT and they're all around $150.

How easy is it to grease the portion you're talking about?

/

With the current status of things we don't even need a second vehicle for the next few weeks, so this once can sit if I need time to figure things out.

I'm also not rich, but having the new starter come with a warranty sounds appealing. I can imagine that if the reman'd starter lasts a year it'll likely last another 50k+ miles, hopefully MUCH longer.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
.....Symptoms: starter is whirring noise is louder and continues for a second after the engine is started before loudly winding down....

Check out: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthr...mble-grease-reinstall-w-pics-218329.html

Why does the new starter cost less than the rebuilt starter?

I saw that install, but totally missed the attached .pdf!!! I kept going through Photobucket and back, because the pics are all messed up in-thread with PB. Thanks!

Sorry about the price confusion - the reman'd price includes installation by the dealer.

Originally Posted by CT8
Get the starter fixed.

That's the plan. I'll be deciding over the weekend whether to do it myself, is the issue.

My plan is to see if I can get the intercooler and starter off myself easily before doing the job. IF I can easily get it off I'll look for a replacement and do the job myself. IF it's not possible for this shade-tree mechanic I'll have the dealer install the reman. for the above price, which I think is reasonable.

Starter

/

With the current status of things we don't even need a second vehicle for the next few weeks, so this once can sit if I need time to figure things out.

I'm also not rich, but having the new starter come with a warranty sounds appealing. I can imagine that if the reman'd starter lasts a year it'll likely last another 50k+ miles, hopefully MUCH longer.

Yes it is easy enough, you do need to pull the armature and drive out though, its no big deal. I see the TYC starter (cheap junk) is the same for both engines. Check the art number for both it may fit.
The 2.5 appears to use a 1.4 kw unit and the 2.0 a 1.2 kw, if its same otherwise the 1.4 kw is a stronger unit.

Even at $150 for a real clean one its a lot better than over 3 bills. No way in Hades would I pay that for such an easy job and a reman at that.

Originally Posted by CT8
Get the starter fixed.

Starter

/

Yes it is easy enough, you do need to pull the armature and drive out though, its no big deal. I see the TYC starter (cheap junk) is the same for both engines. Check the art number for both it may fit.
The 2.5 appears to use a 1.4 kw unit and the 2.0 a 1.2 kw, if its same otherwise the 1.4 kw is a stronger unit.

Even at $150 for a real clean one its a lot better than over 3 bills. No way in Hades would I pay that for such an easy job and a reman at that.

I've decided that I'm going to remove it tomorrow and see what I can do. Thanks for the confidence booster, Trav.

I'll be cursing your name if the next picture I post is of the Foz on a flat-bed. Wait, how hard can it be to roll-start a modern auto?

I cant remember the last auto trans that used a front and rear pump IIRC it was a Chrysler long before my time.
You could bump start those so I'm told, no rear pump no bump starting.

I agree with relubing the starter, try unbolting from under the car if you can't get to it from up top.

Starter is out!!! I was VERY close to giving up on the bottom bolt, but lay there on my creeper for a bit to think and rest may arms, ended up trying one last time and SNAP! I actually shouted for joy! Lol

Now I need to do more research on how to lube this thing.

Someone on one of the Subaru forums made it seem as if the pinion gear would slide by hand. I applied gentle pressure with a flat-head and it wouldn't budge.

Any additional help would be appreciated. Worst case: I buy a used starter for less than I would have paid for a reman from the dealer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think I'll put a dab of moly on each stud and on the mating surface/flange of the starter for easier removal next time...which hopefully won't be for a while after I lube and "fix" the starter!

Inter-cooler: super easy to remove. Had it off in just a couple of minutes. This gives you access to the connections to the starter and the top bolt. It also gives you access to the PCV valve.

PCV Valve: has something that resembles pipe door around the top threads. Never saw that before. I'll have to research whether some sort of thread sealant is needed.

Also, the PCV valve seemed pretty gunked up. I've got it soaking in carb cleaner now. I'll check it tomorrow for proper operation , but will likely just go with a new one.

It spins in one direction only, but did not extend. It will not rotate in the opposite direction, though I didn't try to force it.

Originally Posted by sxg6
I wonder if it rotates up and down like this. I'd gently try twisting the gear to see if that'll make it go up.
https://youtu.be/RhdSq4WOaDM?t=501

Disregard my last post. You can't pry it axially and try to rotate it at the same time. It will only travel up the [spline? Terminology...] if I rotate it with fingers. There wasn't much friction, either.

I went to the dealer to check out the reman and it looks as dirty as my old one! I didn't buy it.

I'll be pulling the starter part some time today and regressing as much as I can.

Would any NLGI #2 work for lubing the starter?

I've got a new tube of Lucas X-TRA Heavy Duty that I got for the Ariens snow blower.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
Would any NLGI #2 work for lubing the starter?

As a BITOGER, you should be looking for a specialty lube
56.gif

Dow-Corning offers 5 different Molykote lubes for automotive starter motors:
http://msdssearch.dow.com/Published...noreg/80-8059-01.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Oh, stuff it!
crackmeup2.gif

Well, this endeavor is over with anyway. Totally biffed it! The two Phillips head screws on the back of the starter will not budge and start to round (Phillips head? WTH!) The two 8mm long studs started to turn immediately, but with a lot of friction. I went gingerly in and out on one but it finally snapped. Broken!

Bah!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Don't hate me guys. After all of your great advice and wisdom, I decided to...buy new.

$337, shipped for a new OE Subaru starter after 15% off coupon from Subaru parts warehouse.

You guys gave me the confidence to do the job myself and, after seeing how janky-looking the reman. starter the dealer was going to use was, I'm glad I'm going new AND saving money. That's not to mention gaining some experience.

If this new starter doesn't last the life of the car I'll definitely consider used next time.

Back