Cheap wheel hub assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace my wheel hub in my 2010 jeep commander 3.7. I was looking around at parts. The penny pincher in me tells me to swing it with something cheap. However I don't want to have to replace it in a year from doing so. Does anyone know any decent aftermarket brands they have used for wheel hubs? I have used Detroit axle before and was satisfied but their wheel hubs had poor reviews.

Last edited:
Detroit Axle sells utter garbage Chinese parts, avoid them at all costs. Go look through reviews for suspension components (on Amazon or Ebay) and you'll be disturbed how many review photos are of accidents their parts have caused.

I've had good luck with GMB brand hubs, they are a middle of the road to budget offering, but both times I used them they lasted a few years until I sold the vehicle.

This is an instance where paying more for a quality product once will pay off for years to come.
SKF or Timken for wheel bearings.

Another vote for SKF or Timken, though some have said their Timkens weren't up to snuff. You should see Timken engraved on the bearing if it's their top quality part.

Make sure you get the axle nut torque right using a torque wrench and replace the nut if it looks questionable.

Never ever cheap out on wheel bearings, hubs, suspension parts....tire rods etc...you will just be doing it again in a years time if your lucky....ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by Micahmcmeen
What about moog?

Moog bearings are Chinese. Stick with SKF or Timken.

Don't waste your money on cheap hubs or bearings, in the end it inevitably turns out to be anything but cheap. SKF is a good solid choice, Timken has gotten a bit sketchy with some of their reboxed numbers.
Detroit Axle and Moog are certifiable rubbish.

Is SKF better / higher quality then Timken? I know Timken used to be top notch but lately I have heard they have been having failures, making they are cutting corners?

No idea. I bought a seal for my transfer case output shaft before. Seemed quality. Unfortunately napa ordered the wrong one. -_-

Last edited:
If you have to use white-box Chinesium, I'd go with WJB or GMB - the latter is Korean. Moog/National is Chinese as well. Might as well go with Duralast if you want to roll the dice, at least there's a warranty.

Otherwise, Timken.

Op, I see you are at Fort Drum. I am just south of Watertown on Dry Hill!
For hubs, I always go SKF or Timken.
Most of the chain parts stores on Arsenal st dont have them. Standard Auto parts (Napa) on Mill st carries SKF as their better line.
I believe United Auto supply on Waterman Drive still carries Timken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back