Thinking about transmission cooler for Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been keeping up with dump and fills every so often on the Odyssey but now I'm reading that an ATF cooler install could also help with longevity of the transmission. Kits are as cheap as $30 on amazon that have 4.5/5 reviews. Seems like a no brainer for $30 and a weekend afternoon spent but I'll wait to hear from people who have done this.

https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-516-Performance-Transmission/dp/B000C3BBEY/

Does the transmission naturally pump the fluid through this or do you need a pump? Where are there even transmission fittings on the vehicle?

Last edited:
I used one of the Long Tru-Cools, I think it was LPD4454; it has two different size channels in it so it does not utilize the full cooler until the fluid is hot and thin. Kind of like a built-in thermostat. Seem to remember it was about $45.

Those Long Tru-Cools seem like the prices are all bloated because they are referenced so often. Do you have to drop the front bumper? How difficult is the install overall?

I installed one on a Subaru, it's not difficult. There is already an ATF cooler in the radiator. Follow the lines from the transmission to the radiator. You will want to find the line going TO the cooler in the radiator, you'll put the additional cooler in BEFORE the stock cooler. That way, the additional cooler will be most effective at losing the heat, and you won't over-cool the fluid. Disconnect one of the lines, start the engine briefly, and see which line is squirting out ATF to figure out which one is the one going to the cooler.

If you're not towing anything, I don't think an additional cooler is going to do a lot for you though. If longevity is your intent, I think a Magnefine filter might be a better idea.

Is the reliability problem from poor design or low quality parts or the fluid overheating?

Originally Posted by CT8
Is the reliability problem from poor design or low quality parts or the fluid overheating?

Older models had bearing issues. New models is just from heat/wear & tear I believe.

If this is $30 though and a fun little project, that's pretty cheap even if it only slightly improves the longevity of the transmission right?

Define towing? Several kids and luggage, roof rack carrier, plus bike rack with 4 bikes. This is only a few times a year but you have to admit that's some extra weight.

Last edited:
I have the Hayden 678 on my Outback. Took like 25 minutes to install from start to finish using the metal straps and the generous room through the radiator openings in the front bumper cover. Other than missing the bypass feature of the Tru-Cool, I feel they're essentially identical in form and function and the Hayden was about 55% of the Tru-Cool.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Return it and buy one of the stacked plate coolers like the Hayden 677 or 678. They are so much easier to mount.

It's a 15 year old van that I'm trying to extend the tranny life in. Doesn't need to be fancy. Not too worried about the extra few degrees I'd gain from the stacked plate design but I appreciate the recommendation. I am okay with the mounting clips going through the fins. I understand how the drilled side plates could make it easier however.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
[
It's a 15 year old van that I'm trying to extend the tranny life in.
I am okay with the mounting clips going through the fins.

Are you OK with replacing the AC condenser and the extra work on the AC system? I would not use the mounting clips; in fact, I still have 2 packs of them unopened from my 2 installations.

My late Dad and Mom had a small / medium size Airstream travel trailer . They used it to go fishing .

They had a ~ 1978 Ford LTD With 3 speed automatic , 302 ci V-8 engine & numerically low gear ratio differential . This put a lot of strain on the transmission , while towing the Airstream .

One time , they went fishing . Dad was driving to the lake , with a tail wind ( less air flowing through the radiator ) . Transmission blew the front / torque converter seal and started loosing ATF .

They limped into the next town and got the transmission fixed . The technician recommended an external cooler .

After they returned from fishing , they came to our house . Dad asked me if I would help him install a cooler . I said , certainly . We went to checker auto parts , near our house . Dad purchase the largest cooler they stocked .

We installed it and Dad never had any transmission problems with that car . Next car they purchased was a 1991 Chevy Caprice with 5.0l V-8 & overdrive automatic , and numerically low gear ratio automatic transmission .

Dad asked me to help him install a cooler , before he ever towed the trailer . Never had any transmission problems .

Originally Posted by Schmoe
1000's of those vans on the road without an AT cooler.

Again, kits are anywhere from $25 to $60. What does a transmission cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back