First attempt at welding something useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Spare tire mounting bracket carriage bolt not long enough. Spent 2 hours on the phone and online looking for either an M12 longer bolt or a coupling nut. Nobody within a hours drive had either or would sell just one if they did. Online they want $12 to UPS a $2 or $3 piece. Figured a regular nut would join them together but only about 2 threads worth on each side. Now I finally got some use out this welder I bought over 10 years ago. Weld is not pretty but good enough.

Other option, use a long piece of all thread, and replace the entire bolt you welded onto. Use a nut on other end and weld that to the base. If that stud is but welded to the bracket, you could drill a hole in it for the new longer stud.

Why does it have to remain a metric thread?

But it looks like your weld will hold. Whack it back and forth with a hammer to test it.

Is the one on the left either galvanized or chrome plated? And is that one big glob of weld? If so, you may be surprised at the lack of strength in this joint.
Be really careful and don't use this in any kind of load bearing application.

I'd of likely done this with a length of class 12.9 all thread, a coupling nut, 2 jam nuts and some red locktite.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
Very nice. What size is that argon tank?

Can't remember from 10 years ago when I bought it but probably the smallest one for portability sake. I store it in the basement and use it usually in the driveway. Lugging the 60+ pound main unit up and down a flight of stairs isn't fun. Only had it refilled twice.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Is the one on the left either galvanized or chrome plated?

Just standard zinc plated and nothing critical. Shrink wrapped it.

With the fire extinguisher mount holding the 12 ton bottle jack.

Hardly takes up any floor space.

You could have used 3 nuts. 1 nut sharing the threads and a nut on each side of that. Tighten the outside nuts a bit , then weld all 3 nuts together.

Looks like it will work as you have it.

Last edited:
Although just a longer standard bolt would have worked, what you did was fine for the application. Whatever you can do to practice welding is a plus. I've done stuff like this for practice from old silverware, just for fun. It helps.

IMG_2651.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_1625.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

camera phone 021.jpg

IMG_6753.JPG

Last edited:
Don't let the naysayers discourage you. Your welds have good penetration. This attachment will hold just fine for the job its for.

Last edited:
I'm on board with Tigster your weld looks fine. Use with confidence. Your bottle is what the welding supply houses call an "M" size bottle. I've used many many of them when I was first starting.

Originally Posted by Traction
Although just a longer standard bolt would have worked, what you did was fine for the application. Whatever you can do to practice welding is a plus. I've done stuff like this for practice from old silverware, just for fun. It helps.

I'm not even close to a good welder, and every time a I think a project will be easy, it's not, and out comes the grinder or cutting wheel. It's all about keeping your eye on the puddle, but apparently I can't see that well more often than not.

Originally Posted by Ursatdx
I'm new at welding but becoming real good with my grinder.

Its been said; " There are good welders and good grinders".

I'm a good grinder!!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back