Broken pcv tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a crack in the back of my pcv tube that goes from the valve to the manifold. Not the hose that runs to the intake. Who knows how long this has been like this but it didn't make the car act up or throw a check engine light. What damage could this have caused if any? Oil consumption, rich fuel mix?

Be nice if you stated what vehicle.

Not likely any damage would have resulted. That smaller line likely was tied to your evap. system, the large one would be manifold vacuum.. You would have leaned out the fuel mix by creating a large vacuum leak and possibly some oil contaimination so I would change it if it looks very dirty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Be nice if you stated what vehicle.

Not likely any damage would have resulted. That smaller line likely was tied to your evap. system, the large one would be manifold vacuum.. You would have leaned out the fuel mix by creating a large vacuum leak and possibly some oil contaimination so I would change it if it looks very dirty.

Only if his car uses MAF only for f/a. But if it uses MAP or a combination of MAP+MAF like mine, the ECU should correct, no?

As for the pcv.. crankcase pressure would have vented to atmo. You might have experienced a higher rate of varnish build up, especially on the non pcv side if it's dohc. You don't mention anything about your car.

We live in a sometimes sandy , semi-arid region . Any potential vacuum leak would scare me . Repair it .

Cars run so hot those plastic fittings tend to dry out and crack when they're old. Just find a replacement off the net, auto zone ect and you're good to go. When the hose ends start splitting is a good time to start checking them periodically.

Sorry I forgot. It's my 09 altima that's been using oil forever, oil was dirty within 500 miles after every change and started consuming oil there after. I had the cover off and had the car serviced by Nissan but I never caught it, it was in the back, nor did the Nissan tech obviously. Could a cracked tube have been a major contributor to the vast oil consumption? It'd be nice if it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back