Best product to seal floor pan patches

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 95 ram I had to replace the cab mounts . In doing that the floor pans got tore in a few spots. I am going to tack weld in some patches and was going to seal around them wheat would you guys recommend using to do this?

Tack weld a plate on the inside, and FlexSeal tape to cover the undercarriage area. Get a hard hand roller to squish the FlexSeal into all the nooks and crannies.
smile.gif

Or, get the Rustoleum Undercoating spray to coat the bottom once the repairs are made. Be sure to wire brush the edges of the hole and get all the rust off the area that you can.

Use PL Premium polyurethane construction adhesive. If you want to fill large gaps, mix in some sawdust up to 40%. Slather it on, cover it with some cereal bag plastic and it will swell up and set to a hard flexible waterproof sealer. Give it a day to cure fully if its cold, you will be surprised how good this will work. And it is cheap.

It is a moisture cured product, and wood saw dust has enough moisture to bulk it up and cure it as thick as you want.

Last edited:
I just grabbed interior/exterior urethane adhesive from the hardware store. Quick, cheap, effective. Then rubberized undercoating on the bottom side.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are some auto specific items, but if convenient, 3M 5200 or Boat Life caulk. I'd lean towards the 5200 w/ a coat of undercoat, mostly to protect the metal. Surface prep will be key.

Loctite's PL premium is a polyurethane that is cheaper than these other suggestions. Any caulk like polyurethane can be made to work.
I buy the large 30 oz cartridge as I can use a lot of that stuff.

Loctite also sells Black Roof and Flashing polyurethane which is very similar to 5200 for less than half the price. And I have used a lot of both of these items.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sdowney717
Use PL Premium polyurethane construction adhesive. If you want to fill large gaps, mix in some sawdust up to 40%. Slather it on, cover it with some cereal bag plastic and it will swell up and set to a hard flexible waterproof sealer. Give it a day to cure fully if its cold, you will be surprised how good this will work. And it is cheap.

It is a moisture cured product, and wood saw dust has enough moisture to bulk it up and cure it as thick as you want.
Cool use of PL and cereal bag plastic. Any reason for cereal bag plastic specifically.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Many moons ago we used a cut down coffee can, some wire and roofing tar. It worked very well.

You know, I was thinking that. Like Henry's 208.

I used to restore older motorcycles. If I could polish the chrome fenders up to an acceptable level, I'd then just coat the underside with that or similar. Perfect, lasts forever. Also roofs, etc.

I love 3M 5200, but it's messy to work with and in this app, I'd like something that spread and gave me surface sealing and rust-protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back