Help me identify this tie rod washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaced all 4 tie rods on the Fusion today. Pretty easy job, all considered. In the process, I found that on the inner end of the inner rod sits a rubber/metal washer. I have no idea what it's called, but you can see it in this picture next to the steering rack end of the inner tie rod:

[Linked Image]

Basically it sits on the collar of the inner rod where it threads into the rack. For clarity, this is NOT a lock washer like some cars use. From the looks of it, all it does it soften the impact when the steering goes full lock. The metal pieces on each side of the rubber are just there presumably to make the washer last longer. The reason I ask is because the passenger side washer was fully intact, whereas the driver side washer was mostly disintegrated. Only the 2 metal outside pieces remained with very little rubber in between. I left it there, as it can't hurt and would still soften the impact some. The parts I used (Moog problem solver) did not come with these washers. Am I on the right track here? The washer was only about 1/8" thick, and sticks out about the same as the collar on the rod does.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Klutch9
The parts I used (Moog problem solver) did not come with these washers.

I'd be flaming mad if it was me. I'm still kinda mad about it and it's not even my car. Moog would be getting a phone call from me.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
The parts I used (Moog problem solver) did not come with these washers.

I'd be flaming mad if it was me. I'm still kinda mad about it and it's not even my car. Moog would be getting a phone call from me.

Truthfully, the only brand that comes with this washer is Motorcraft to my knowledge. No reason to be upset. Lots of instances like this out there, where in order to get one little washer/bushing/etc, you have to buy the OEM kit. Just the way it is.

They don't just cushion the rack movement but act as a lock limiter. We used to use them on BMW cars that ran oversized tires to limit the lock. They also protect the seals by not allowing 100% travel right up to the seal. They are probably only available from the dealer and must be installed to prevent seal damage and eventual rack leaks due to full lock (worst thing you can do to a rack).

Originally Posted by Trav
They don't just cushion the rack movement but act as a lock limiter. We used to use them on BMW cars that ran oversized tires to limit the lock. They also protect the seals by not allowing 100% travel right up to the seal. They are probably only available from the dealer and must be installed to prevent seal damage and eventual rack leaks due to full lock (worst thing you can do to a rack).

Trav, this car has electric power steering with no fluid, so I imagine that the seals are different than with a hydraulic system.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Those washers are only sold with the inner tie-rod from Ford.

What are those washers actually called, and what is their exact purpose?

Originally Posted by Trav

Trav, this car has electric power steering with no fluid, so I imagine that the seals are different than with a hydraulic system.

It still has seals to prevent water ingress but its probably not as critical on an electric system.

What are those washers actually called, and what is their exact purpose?

From the FSM:

"Retaining washer (Hydraulic Power Assist Steering (HPAS) only) (part of 3280 and 3332B service kit)"

It doesn't show in the illustrations in either the parts catalog or FSM. The 3280 is the Ford base number for an inner tie rod. The 3332 is the bellows boot and clamp kit.

To correct myself, its apparently with the bellows boot assembly also. Although we never sell those. Also obviously with a whole steering rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back