Home

2017 Kia Sportage recall notice

Posted By: SlavaB

2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/18/18 06:26 PM

Just wanted to share with the community.
Do you guys think they really wanna prevent it or the problem is there and they're trying to fix it adhoc?

Attached picture IMG-0185.JPG
Posted By: demarpaint

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/18/18 06:35 PM

Interesting. I wonder how a software update protects against excessive connecting rod bearing damage? Is it some kind of warning system? Power reduction/management?
Posted By: 14Accent

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/18/18 06:37 PM

All they're doing is changing the frequency range the knock sensors are listening for. My guess is, if they can catch the sound of rod bearings failing early enough then they have an excuse to say "oh, instead of a long block we're just going to replace the crankshaft\bearinga from now on".

It won't hurt getting the software update, but don't expect it to save your engine.
Posted By: Danno

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/18/18 07:50 PM

The lifetime warranty part of the letter caught my attention. Nice bit of insurance there.
Posted By: wemay

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/18/18 08:22 PM

Member, Robster had pm'd me about this...

Thanks for posting. I'll keep an eye out for this. I don't know of any difference between the '17 and '18.

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/18/18 09:01 PM

It says "all 16-18 sportages"
When I went to a dealer's service schedule and selected my car, this recall was a separate suggestion for it right away.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 1.01.14 PM.png

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/18/18 09:25 PM

Thanks again. I'll be looking for the letter in the mail. But so far, not on the list according to the NHTSA recall tool or KIA...

Here are the tools for anyone else interested:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?gclid...nbNdiRoCdQoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#vin
https://www.kia.com/us/en/content/owners/safety-recall

Attached picture Capture.PNG
Attached picture Capture.PNG

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/18/18 09:44 PM

yeah actually there's nothing on those websites for my car as well.
I think it's due to a fact they do it as an "improvement", not recall
Posted By: Oildudeny

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/18/18 10:23 PM

I had something similar years ago with my Subaru. Just take the vehicle in for the software update.
Posted By: PimTac

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/18/18 10:31 PM

Do they not use that 2.4 engine in other vehicles?
Posted By: Throt

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/18/18 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by PimTac
Do they not use that 2.4 engine in other vehicles?

I had one in my 2017 Sonata. While I am a fan of Hyundai and think they offer a good value for the money, these repeated engine problems are concerning. Heads at corporate definitely need to be rolling. We all know about the previous generation Sonata's that had boatloads of failed engines due to improper de-burring of the block during manufacturing, or at least that's what the excuse was.
Posted By: KneeGrinder

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/19/18 02:38 AM

Do they use a powder metal fractured rod? If so, less timing at lower RPM is know to help them live a longer life. Long enough to get out of 10 year/100,000? Is that still the Hyundai warranty? My bad, Kia!
Posted By: michaelluscher

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/19/18 05:15 AM

This is an extension of the recall/extended warranty notice for all the other Hyundai/KIA products with the 2.4 or 2.0T engine failure

IIRC all 2017 and earlier engines, no matter the vehicle, are possible time bombs

The 1.6/2.0 N/A engines in the smaller cars also fail, but much less often
Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/19/18 05:21 AM

The reasoning makes no sense. The fail years and 30 oil changes after manufacturing. The debris should be long gone. My step son’s Hyundai 2.0t had the first recall years ago with the new orange dipstick. Said should be ok. A few months back the motor just stopped on the way home. 105k miles or so. Checked oil, full of metal dust. New motor free from the dealer. It took 4 months and had a free rental the whole time.

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/19/18 12:33 PM

We're at 147K on the Santa Fe, so hopefully out of the woods. I will keep the oci to severe on the KIA. Someone slap me for considering 20 on M1AP. Although i do feel this is more precautionary than anything else.

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/21/18 07:01 PM

Just came out of the dealer. In&out in less then 1 hour. Let's see how it goes from here
Posted By: FastLane

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/24/18 03:42 AM

My parents bought a Kia Sportage and forwarded this post to them. My Dad sure isn't impressed! They have been super happy with the Kia 2.4 but this is sure scary.

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/26/18 05:31 PM

SlavaB, getting the update done now. Thanks for the heads up.

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/27/18 08:09 AM

Having the fact the dealer performed the update faster then it takes them to make an oil change, I wouldn't be too worried. 100k miles warranty backs me up in case smth happens smile

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/27/18 08:09 AM

no worries, glad to help

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/27/18 12:52 PM

thumbsup

Attached picture 20181227_075136.jpg

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/27/18 07:13 PM

cool, glad you did it. So the dealer doesn't complain about non-OEM filter?
I actually just ordered Purolator Boss after seeing your other post smile
Kinda nice they change it for $10 with parts provided, somehow here it's a flat $35 no matter who provides parte. Or maybe I didnt ask for lower price lol. \
Also, you masked your name but no phone number, just in case you care

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 12/27/18 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by SlavaB
cool, glad you did it. So the dealer doesn't complain about non-OEM filter?
I actually just ordered Purolator Boss after seeing your other post smile
Kinda nice they change it for $10 with parts provided, somehow here it's a flat $35 no matter who provides parte. Or maybe I didnt ask for lower price lol. \
Also, you masked your name but no phone number, just in case you care

Yeah, they're a really down to earth dealership. As long as the filter shows on the manufacturer's website as a replacement part for OEM, There is no issue. They even introduce you to the Technician working on the car in case you have special instructions or questions.

Yeah, ref the phone, i missed it, but thankfully everyone here is pretty mature.
Posted By: Irishman

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 01/02/19 08:48 PM

I received my letter today. It is for all 2016-2018 Sorento vehicles with the 2.0L TGDI or 2.4L GDI engines. Also includes the lifetime warranty coverage regarding repairs needed due to excessive connecting rod bearing damage.
Posted By: JustinH

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 01/03/19 01:08 AM

A few weeks ago I noticed this recall applied to my 2011 Sonata with the 2.4L.

After doing some forum searching, it is an ecu re-calibration which throws the car into "limp home mode" when it detects excessive knock.

Mine pings regularly I'm interested in seeing what happens. I have about a year left on the 10 year engine warranty.
Posted By: waid302

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 02/11/19 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
The reasoning makes no sense. The fail years and 30 oil changes after manufacturing. The debris should be long gone. My step son’s Hyundai 2.0t had the first recall years ago with the new orange dipstick. Said should be ok. A few months back the motor just stopped on the way home. 105k miles or so. Checked oil, full of metal dust. New motor free from the dealer. It took 4 months and had a free rental the whole time.

New to this forum. I have been doing little reading and it appears that Kia and Hyundai has been having rod bearing failures for years on 2.0T & 2.4 going back to 2011.

Same issue on 2018 engines now? How can they not cleaned the crank very well for years?

Attached picture 2019-02-11_15-35-05.jpg
Posted By: WhizkidTN

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 02/11/19 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by waid302
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar

New to this forum. I have been doing little reading and it appears that Kia and Hyundai has been having rod bearing failures for years on 2.0T & 2.4 going back to 2011.

Same issue on 2018 engines now? How can they not cleaned the crank very well for years?

No it really is just a good PR move that helps them get to failing engines faster (via the "limp home mode") prior to a full "lock up" IF that engine has the defect. Upon getting the update, you get a lifetime engine warranty. The actual engine debris issue was resolved back in 2012 or so. Another factor was lurking however....

I had maintained my Turbo Optima extremely well (bought new) and ran into this problem in Dec '18. I got a new long-block engine with all the improvements (primarily the oil pump/balance shaft assembly that was suspect at not providing proper lubrication and causing excessive connecting rod bearing wear) and an unlimited miles/unlimited time warranty. I've been a very happy camper as a result. Took about a week for them to do the replacement at no charge (including the free rental car).

Posted By: waid302

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 02/11/19 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Another factor was lurking however....

I had maintained my Turbo Optima extremely well (bought new) and ran into this problem in Dec '18. I got a new long-block engine with all the improvements (primarily the oil pump/balance shaft assembly that was suspect at not providing proper lubrication and causing excessive connecting rod bearing wear) ...

Just looked up Car complaints & NHTSA for 2017 Kia Sportage and engine failures are coming in including for 2018.

So there is no issue with engine debris in late model 2.0 & 2.5 ?

Waid
Posted By: WhizkidTN

Re: 2017 Kia Sportage recall notice - 02/12/19 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by waid302
Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Another factor was lurking however....

I had maintained my Turbo Optima extremely well (bought new) and ran into this problem in Dec '18. I got a new long-block engine with all the improvements (primarily the oil pump/balance shaft assembly that was suspect at not providing proper lubrication and causing excessive connecting rod bearing wear) ...

Just looked up Car complaints & NHTSA for 2017 Kia Sportage and engine failures are coming in including for 2018.

So there is no issue with engine debris in late model 2.0 & 2.5 ?

Waid

I don't believe so. Kia seems to want to use 'debris' issue as a way to not admit they had a design problem that ran for several years. Either way, they are providing free replacements with a lifetime engine warranty for all owners. Kinda hard to beat that!
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy