Home

Quick Struts...

Posted By: dblshock

Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 01:27 AM

GF son just got into a 2003 Century needs a right front strut...I see these on ebay made by Detroit Axle for $115 a pair wondering if they're worth the labor??

STRUT LINK
Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 01:37 AM

Detroit, China. Sorry, but those are no good. The cheap quick struts rarely make it more than 10k, and they give quick struts a bad reputation.

Get the name-brand premium quick struts. Monroe, KYB, Gabriel, or Sachs. They last at least 50k.

Monroe's cheaper line Roadmatic may be able to last 30k, so if you absolutely cannot afford the premium parts, at least use Roadmatic instead of the Chinese quick struts.
Posted By: WobblyElvis

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 01:42 AM

I put some bargain basement struts on a car once. Never again!

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 01:44 AM

Thx, see Gabriel sells them seperate $100..

Gabriel
Posted By: spasm3

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 01:47 AM

I generally change struts myself rather than the quick struts. But rock auto has sachs quickstruts for $117. Kyb for $100.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,2003,century,3.1l+v6,1410321,suspension,strut+/+coil+spring+/+mount+assembly,15174
Posted By: Jimzz

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 01:48 AM

Be careful of the gaberials. They are also cheap Chinese ones now.

Just got a set for a lexus and they are the same black chinese ones you see cheap on eBay in a Gaberial box.

The Monroes are still ok. Just don;t get their economy line.
Posted By: Imp4

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 01:48 AM

You get what you pay for.
Why not get the KYBs from RA for $100 each and do this right?
Posted By: Leo99

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 01:58 AM

I had to send quick struts back 3 times to Rock Auto until I finally received ones that were not defective. Even then, the rear ones squeaked if the temperature dipped below 40F.
Posted By: Marco620

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:01 AM

Bilstein
Posted By: spasm3

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Bilstein

What? For an 03 buick century? I'd love to see a link for them!!
Posted By: Trav

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:07 AM

Scrap metal, KTB would be the ones I would use for this car. You will need an alignment, the car will sit higher than before because the springs are generic and stiffer than OE but that is applicable to all of these types of strut units.

No, it wont settle to OE right height but will not be too much higher and is livable. The unit is a Excel-g and decent.

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:12 AM

the car is rusty but the drive line was maintained 94k so didn't want to spend..needs a Master cylinder too...see Doorman for $60?

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:14 AM

rocker panels are almost gone on the car..we're in salt country- U.P. MI. otherwise a nice car

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:17 AM

so I'll need both R/L front KYB quick struts?

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I had to send quick struts back 3 times to Rock Auto until I finally received ones that were not defective. Even then, the rear ones squeaked if the temperature dipped below 40F.

What kind were they? smile
Posted By: cronk

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:32 AM

Honestly, if its an old beater, you'll be fine with the cheapo ones. I put all 4 qui k struts from Prime Choice auto parts (now called Auto Shack) a year and a half and close to 20k mkles and no issues. They do tend to ride a bit firmer than stock, but I like a firm ride anyways!

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:35 AM

Yes do both on the same axle. If the rocker panels are rusted through get some replacements aftermarket and rivet them on with body adhesive under them, the rivets will hold it tight while it cures.

Its cheap enough and will get you a few more years out of it.
Posted By: JeffKeryk

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:41 AM

KGB is a great compromise between cheap junk and Bilstein.
I put a set on a 93 Lexus ES 300 back in the day.
Darn thing handled sooooo much better.
Firmed it right up. Best $$ ever spent on that car.
Well, the only money spent but you get the idea.
Posted By: The Critic

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Trav
Scrap metal, KTB would be the ones I would use for this car. You will need an alignment, the car will sit higher than before because the springs are generic and stiffer than OE but that is applicable to all of these types of strut units.

No, it wont settle to OE right height but will not be too much higher and is livable. The unit is a Excel-g and decent.

I installed four KYB Strut Plus (Quick Strut) onto a 2006 Camry. The ride height was perfect on each corner. I measured it before I did the swap, and after, and the ride height was virtually unchanged.

(Both photos were taken after installation.)

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 02:56 AM

this Buick has the 3.1 at 92k and it's real clean aside of the rust, I see many for sale at +200k. might entertain better parts and replacement rockers, it really is nice rusty rockers aside and we got it for $1,400
Posted By: BigCahuna

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 03:13 AM

The struts you have posted come with a 10 year warranty. How long do you feel the rest of the car will last?.,,,

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 03:21 AM

we discussed alot of struts, did you mean the first post $105 pair ones?
Posted By: researcher

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Leo99

+1! This is exactly what happened with the "quick struts" I have had.. I've tried kyb (leaking before installing, returned), moog (died within 4 months, riding on bump stops).. They're all junk in my experience. I just went with assembling them and no more problems.
Posted By: Wolf359

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 04:03 AM

The ones with a lifetime warranty are usually of a better quality. Or at least when they fail, you can get another set. Usually those ultra cheap ones only come with a one year warranty and most reviews have them dying not too long afterwards. If you're going to drive it for at least 3-5 years, get a good set. If you're going to get rid of it after a year, get a cheap set.

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: dblshock
so I'll need both R/L front KYB quick struts?

Yes, you will need both. But for your Century, both front struts seem to be the same, so simply buy two front struts.

But if you spend the money on KYB, consider Sachs for almost the same price smile
Posted By: NoNameJoe

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Detroit, China.
ROFL! crackmeup So true now a days. "Detroit Axle" probably has as much to do with Detroit, as Harbor Freight favorites "Pittsburgh Automotive" and "Chicago Electric" have to do with Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 06:48 AM

I don't work on many Toyota, very few Nissan or other Japanese cars either but it may be they work better with Asian cars being the OE supplier for many of them.
This is just what I noticed when installing them on some GM products, its about a 15-20mm lift in the front over OE spec ride height.
Posted By: JHZR2

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I generally change struts myself rather than the quick struts. But rock auto has sachs quickstruts for $117. Kyb for $100.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,2003,century,3.1l+v6,1410321,suspension,strut+/+coil+spring+/+mount+assembly,15174

I agree. Most cars come with multiple spring configurations and rates. Quick struts are generic. Unless there's a reason to change springs, I'd look to reuse.
Posted By: vwmaniaman

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 11:55 AM

Might try Shockwarehouse.com. Bought a couple of sets from them. Good prices and quick delivery.

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: spasm3

I agree. Most cars come with multiple spring configurations and rates. Quick struts are generic. Unless there's a reason to change springs, I'd look to reuse.

Most OE springs are color coded in some way and the aftermarket generally goes for the stiffest or the largest engine available of the type being used eg largest 4 cyl or largest 6 cyl offered in that body so 2 spring choices would be available (I got this from a Delco engineer who I know) and have seen it in practice many times.

Example VW uses a combination of colors eg 4 silver and 2 brown dots, the difference in say 2 silver and 5 brown can be 30 mm in ride height in the rear.
For aftermarket springs when OE or take outs are not available I use Lesj÷fors or Suplex (and a couple of others). They make OE springs and are properly color coded. Moog, Delco, KYB, TRW, Monroe are all the same spring manufacturer and have incorrect generic rates.
Posted By: carguy996

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 12:23 PM

I bought a set of 4 quick struts for my 05 Sebring Convertible in February of this year since I was getting ready to sell it and the old struts were completely worn out on an otherwise nice clean car. They were also from the same seller. Price was $192 for 4, shipping was fast and the struts installed easily. Right off the bad the ride height was really high and the ride was incredibly stiff. Even after letting them settle a couple months/1500 miles, they still rode hard and sat high. After about 1200 miles, the right front started squeaking horribly, the seller was great, sent me a new strut and I sent them back the old one with no questions. In a pinch, they worked, but they were not high quality and still made some occasional odd noises the OEM struts with 150,000 miles on them didn't even make. Having tried the cheap quick struts, cant say I would buy them again, I would pay the extra and get OEM or a quality name brand.
Posted By: supton

Re: Quick Struts... - 06/12/18 05:07 PM

I did Monroe QS (not sure what one but probably not the cheapest) and have been content. On my beater. I think they have a lifetime warranty. I had sagging springs and thought this the best & easiest way to do the job. I do think I have a clunk at times so maybe one is giving grief, but at $100 per corner, as long as I get a couple more years out of them I'm not sure I care--easy job to do, worst part is paying for the alignment.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy