First major issue with 2014 Jetta...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We dropped of our 2014 Volkswagen Jetta at the VW last night for its 40K mile service today. It was purchased with a maintenance plan brand new so service items for the 40K mile service include transmission fluid and filter change, oil and filter change, new wiper blades, new air filters *I think, and from what the dealership told us, new spark plugs.

Two things I wanted them to check into in addition to the preventative maintenance were harsh shifts at times when going from reverse to drive (it's an auto), hard shifts (at times) when coming to a stop, and to top off the coolant reservoir. It has been low 3 times over the life of the car, but this time I told them to check for leaks. They have in the past, but said they didn't see any.

We got a call today saying they would need to have the car another day due to water pump failure! I am glad it was caught before the warranty ran out, but a little disappointed that it failed so soon. They said it would be a four hour job, I am not sure where the water pump is located so this may be the case.

Other than this issue, and sticky ignition cylinders it has been a rock solid car thus far. Just wanted to share with the BITOG crowd. Oh, and as for the clunky / harsh shifting they said they didn't find anything wrong. So maybe a new fluid and filter is what was needed to smooth things out.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Does this have a DCT for a transmission?

No it has the 6 speed AISIN unit.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Does this have a DCT for a transmission?

No it has the 6 speed AISIN unit.

Thanks for clarifying. It’s surprising the techs haven’t sensed the same issue.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Make sure they replace the WP with OEM, and you'll be g2g to 80K. j/k.
lol.gif

At those miles it should be rock solid. Not a big deal to do the WP but why is that people on here are like "35,000, 45,000, 50,000 it is rock solid"
A car should be with those miles.

I had a 92 Toyota V6 pickup that needed a water pump at 15,000 miles. My dads Toyota p/u didn't need ant thing except Shocks, tires and brakes as well as tune ups for 20 years.Stuff happens . Nothing happening is best but it is not always so.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
At those miles it should be rock solid. Not a big deal to do the WP but why is that people on here are like "35,000, 45,000, 50,000 it is rock solid"
A car should be with those miles.

Ever done the water pump on an EA engine? It's not fun... it takes all of 4 hours and I promise the dealer tech stuck doing it is salty about it. They're a total pain.

Yep also had a 2006 Toyota 4.0 water pump go belly up around 35k miles, replaced under warranty. It happens on such mass produced machines, glad they nailed it down early on VW’s dime

With all the parts manufactured-there is a "fail rate" on new parts.

So some parts will fail prematurely-it happens.

Hopefully they use OE and the new pump lasts the next 125k+ or so.

Does VW recommend the WP and timing belt be changed together?

Originally Posted By: CKN

Sure does.

My mom's old Tahoe had a water pump failure when it was only a few years old.

Hmm, so VW still can't get water pumps right. I do think this was an issue on earlier EA888's though, so we'll see how long mine last. At the current rate it'll be a while
lol.gif

Edit: dlundblad, VW has gone away with the belt and went to chains on these motors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Hopefully they use OE and the new pump lasts the next 125k+ or so.

Does VW recommend the WP and timing belt be changed together?

These EA motors have timing chains

Originally Posted By: Delta
Hmm, so VW still can't get water pumps right. I do think this was an issue on earlier EA888's though, so we'll see how long mine last. At the current rate it'll be a while
lol.gif

Edit: dlundblad, VW has gone away with the belt and went to chains on these motors.

Biggest problem on the older water pumps was the plastic Impeller. It was changed to metal later.

Mine lasted 136k miles, that's when I did the Timing belt as well. 06 GTI FSI. (Preventative, It didn't fail)

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: CKN

Sure does.

My mom's old Tahoe had a water pump failure when it was only a few years old.

Yep, my fathers Silverado has been through 3 water pumps.

Yep, and my oldest service vehicle has 190k+ miles with original water pump, alternator, ac, etc. Plus over 5k hours in stationary operations!

Some vehicles, no matter who made them, are just better than others.

I've had things fail when the vehicle is new. This leads to poor service by a disinterested tech who does a lousy job. Then the part may fail again. Then the stealership uses a different tech. Things don't always turn out well.

Doesn't seem brand dependent to me...

Originally Posted By: gregk24
We dropped of our 2014 Volkswagen Jetta at the VW last night for its 40K mile service today. It was purchased with a maintenance plan brand new so service items for the 40K mile service include transmission fluid and filter change, oil and filter change, new wiper blades, new air filters *I think, and from what the dealership told us, new spark plugs.

Two things I wanted them to check into in addition to the preventative maintenance were harsh shifts at times when going from reverse to drive (it's an auto), hard shifts (at times) when coming to a stop, and to top off the coolant reservoir. It has been low 3 times over the life of the car, but this time I told them to check for leaks. They have in the past, but said they didn't see any.

We got a call today saying they would need to have the car another day due to water pump failure! I am glad it was caught before the warranty ran out, but a little disappointed that it failed so soon. They said it would be a four hour job, I am not sure where the water pump is located so this may be the case.

Other than this issue, and sticky ignition cylinders it has been a rock solid car thus far. Just wanted to share with the BITOG crowd. Oh, and as for the clunky / harsh shifting they said they didn't find anything wrong. So maybe a new fluid and filter is what was needed to smooth things out.

Don't feel bad. I noticed a small leak under my son's 2014 Toyota Corolla that is in my signature a month ago. I knew it was not oil and suspected it was the water pump. Took it to the dealership we bought it from and they confirmed it was in fact a leaking water pump. The car was already past the 5 year/60k powertrain warranty but it was only over by less than 1k miles. I explained this and the first thing they said was, "the computer shows you have not had an oil change in 15k miles." I calmly replied, "I have receipts for my oil changes and in addition, oil changes have nothing to do with a bad water pump". Service manager agreed with me and they covered it under the warranty. I also had them to go ahead and replace the belt while they were in there. I was pleased with the outcome of that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back