which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 07:57 PM

maybe we need a poll.
my votes are
-90s buicks- oil pans
- any year Nissan maxima, lots of places

your nominations?
Posted By: gman2304

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:06 PM

Old Volkswagen Beatles.......by a mile! Iíve owned three Maximas, 1981, 1986, and 1992. None leaked oil. The 1981 would talk to you!
Posted By: pandus13

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:07 PM

my '95 mercury mystique (ford contour with leather seats):
the dipstick tube rusted.
OK after repair.
Posted By: WhyMe

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:09 PM

Subarus
Posted By: Kestas

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:11 PM

Mercedes.
Posted By: tig1

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:17 PM

My two Fords still don't have any oil leaks.
Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:21 PM

Mine when I pinched the oil thermostat gasket. It made a fountain when first started up. Oil pressure warning never lit - glad my dad was spotting to tell me shut it down before I made any more of a puddle.
Posted By: CKN

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:27 PM

Ones with bad gaskets.........

Useless post of the day................
Posted By: dogememe

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:27 PM

I've had only American cars (many GMs, a few Fords, and one Dodge) and NONE of them (despite most of them being old with high mileage) were really leakers. Now my mom's 95 Honda Accord, that one leaks from a bunch of places.
Posted By: E365

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:32 PM

The BEST Iíve even seen was a 2003(?) Chevrolet Cavalier with the EcoTec that I used to maintain. Incredibly clean at 200,000+ miles.
Posted By: Miller88

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:51 PM

Jeep 4.0s have always been known as major leakers.

Friend of mine had a Jeep 4.0 that leaked out of:
- Head Gasket (right side, oil)
- Rear Main seal (very bad leak - 7 quarts in 140 miles)
- Timing Cover
- Oil Pressure Sensor
- Oil Pan gasket.

Mine started hemorrhaging out of the oil pan gasket. I had the thing 60 or 70K miles and never touched it. 3 of the bolts backed out. Turns out someone else was in the engine at some point and changed out the rear main seal (incorrectly) and never tightened the 3 bolts under the exhaust manifold. It just took a while before it started leaking bad.
Posted By: JEL01

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Mercedes.
the old 616/617 diesels do seem to weep but run absolutely forever. They have such large sumps and seems to just drip a little itís often not a problem, and many are pushing 40yrs d
Too smile

Still, that PITCH BLACK diesel oil does seem to make it appear worse, and itís impossible to getoff cement
Posted By: Kibitoshin

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:54 PM

The ones I've seen commonly leak from are those with rubber stamped metal gaskets regardless of make. The ones that seem to hold well are sealed using OEM RTV.
Posted By: The Critic

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 08:59 PM

BMWís. All of em.
Posted By: kschachn

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 09:01 PM

My BMW essentially never stops leaking oil, I'm on a rotation schedule for gasket replacement. But like painting a bridge, when you get to the end it's time to start over again.
Posted By: CR94

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 09:02 PM

Old ones.

When it was ~20 years old, my brother said their '78 Impala leaked everything a car could leak.

Somewhere beyond 500k miles, I thought my Mazda was leaking from the main seal near the crank pulley. I bought a seal they recommended at the NAPA store and replaced the old one. The problem seemed to be better at first, but then got much worse than before. When I showed the seal from NAPA to the counter guy at another parts store, he pointed out that it was a seal designed for grease, not oil, and just happened to have the right dimensions. No more leak after I installed the proper seal.
Posted By: Nick1994

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 09:07 PM

In my family's experience, FCA vehicles of the last 6 years.

2012 Jeep Patriot 2.0L
Leaking oil pan gasket
Leaking timing chain cover
Leaking CV boot

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.6L
Leaking oil pan gasket
Leaking transmission pan gasket

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L
Leaking radiator
Leaking radiator hose (opposite end)
Leaking rack and pinion
Posted By: 2003f7

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 09:12 PM

My 2017 KIA. Been in 4 times and still leeks.
Posted By: Billy_D

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

2012 Jeep Patriot 2.0L
Leaking oil pan gasket
Leaking CV boot

Leaking oil pan gasket

Leaking radiator
Leaking rack and pinion

And they still keep buying FCA vehicles??
Posted By: eljefino

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: JEL01
Mercedes.
the old 616/617 diesels do seem to weep but run absolutely forever.

mine does leak. Saturn s-series are also good for them, using RTV everywhere and that styrofoam aluminum.
Posted By: Trav

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 09:24 PM

Old English cars, VW air beetles and any other split case engine. The rest don't even come close to the these.
Posted By: Chris142

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 09:26 PM

Jeep 4.0 and Cadillac Northstar.
Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 09:39 PM

My Northstar used more oil by burning and leaking than any vehicle I have ever owned. Ran great though.
Posted By: TheLawnRanger

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 09:45 PM

1977 Oiler
Posted By: rooflessVW

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 09:53 PM

Air-cooleds.
Posted By: Uphill_Both_Ways

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 10:11 PM

I've owned GM products, Chrysler products, Ford products (with engines made in North America, England and Germany) two Renaults, an Austin and two Japanese bikes, and they all leaked from somewhere or other far, far before the mileage I have on my non-leaking '08 Impala with ~234,000 kilometres on it.

I wash the engine regularly summer and winter ó as I did with most of my cars ó so I can spot any leaks easily, and I check it from underneath whenever it's on a hoist.

Rightly or wrongly I attribute this to using nothing but synthetic oil (in my case 5W-30 Mobil 1) since I bought the car in 2010, thereby helping to keep the seals near pristine. I won't switch to the high-mileage version of the oil until there is evidence of a leak.

But now that I've posted this, I expect to go out and see the car sitting on a giant puddle of oil.
Posted By: Powerglide

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 10:41 PM

EVERY Chevrolet Powerglide transmission made.
Posted By: 9050lx

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/04/18 11:15 PM

72 Chevy Nova.everything leaked but the 3 speed trans , could watch the body rust,Head gasket popped,water pump blew (straight 6)All before 100k miles.About 17 mpg If I recall.
Posted By: aquariuscsm

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/05/18 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Old Volkswagen Beatles.......by a mile! Iíve owned three Maximas, 1981, 1986, and 1992. None leaked oil. The 1981 would talk to you!

My 1986 300ZX turbo would talk to you in this sexy female voice laugh
Posted By: Gito

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/05/18 12:22 AM

Mercedes.

Oh boy, those classic diesels.
Posted By: Nick1994

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/05/18 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Billy_D

And they still keep buying FCA vehicles??
Most of the leaks with the Patriot and Grand Caravan started at the same time, 2 years ago.

My grandfather has the Grand Cherokeeand needed a 4x4 that was easy to get in and out of, no other vehicle choices available, and it started leaking from the radiator 3 days after he bought it. He bought it last January.
Posted By: Silk

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/05/18 06:03 AM

Anything pre mid '70's, until the first emission regs came out there was no real intention to control oil leaks. Road tube breathers, rope rear main seals, and labyrinth seals. The Hillman engine never had a timing cover oilseal, just a reverse screw, the BMC A Block never had a rear main, just a slinger. Until HC emission came under control, it didn't matter.
Posted By: Trav

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/05/18 10:43 AM

I remember the old Buick Nailheads barely had a O ring for the intake valve seal (some also had none) and none on the exhaust valves.
It was designed that way so oil cooled the stem and lubed the guides. Some guys installed umbrella seals on them in hope of curing the little blue puff of normal smoke in the morning.

They burned valves and wore guides out real quick on these engines, left the way they were designed they ran unbelievable well for that time and didn't use much oil. Rope seals were used on these and the 430/455 engines, they also that used no exhaust valve seals either.
Posted By: supton

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/05/18 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

2012 Jeep Patriot 2.0L
Leaking oil pan gasket
Leaking CV boot

Leaking oil pan gasket

Leaking radiator
Leaking rack and pinion

That's disappointing. I've been trying to watch Caravan as I don't want to pay Sienna prices. But I'm guessing the cost of those repairs is still less than the difference between them.
Posted By: FordCapriDriver

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/05/18 02:40 PM

Anything VW aircooled.
Anything with a BMC A-series engine such as old Minis and Morris Minors.
Posted By: Dave Sherman

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/05/18 08:34 PM

There's an old computer joke: Why aren't the British known for making computers? They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil.

My MG is good at marking its territory, between crank seals that don't, valve cover gasket that oozes, and the transmission doesn't have a seal on the input shaft. I like to think they purposely let a controlled amount of oil leak to try to reduce the rust grin.
Posted By: JeffKeryk

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/06/18 01:57 AM

When my mostly-original 1968 L36 Corvette Roadster doesn't leak that just means there is no oil in it.
Posted By: bunnspecial

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/06/18 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
There's an old computer joke: Why aren't the British known for making computers? They couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil

I know Ireland isn't part of England, but work with me on this one smile

I've had a couple of liquid cooled PowerMac G5s. Apple made these(or at least did the final assembly) in two different plants-one in the US and one in Ireland. The liquid cooling system is notorious for leaking, but I've had good luck with mine. Of the half dozen or so liquid cooled ones I've had, the only leaker was made in Ireland smile

BTW, my MGB needs rings and for the time being it's going through a lot of oil. The tappet galley covers-in particular the front one-are also a known trouble spot on this engine. The front one serves as the crank case vent, and it's hollow and filled with a steel mesh to act as an oil separator. If it's tightened a bit too much(it doesn't take much-somewhere around 20 ft-lbs is the book spec) the cover ends up distorted and it leaks like a sieve. I gave up on buying gaskets for it, and instead just slap on a bunch of Permatex Form-a-Gasket-that seems to keep it from leaking. Absent that, I've had better luck with the old style thin cork gaskets than the big thick rubber ones that are now on the market.
Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/06/18 03:04 AM

My vote is

Northstars- Crankcase halves known to leak, some had block porosity issues so the oil would leak right thru the casting. I thought it was cute how they would pull the head bolt threads out of the block.

4.0l Jeep- Rear mains always leak, along with just about everything else. I owned one and by 60k miles everything was leaking. Junk. Tough, fun, but junk.

4.3L gm- oil cooler lines

I haven't turned wrenches in almost 15 years so my experience is dated.
Posted By: wag123

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/06/18 01:07 PM

Which cars leak the most oil?
German cars when they are out of warranty.
Posted By: Rat407

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/06/18 01:17 PM

From what I have seen with the oil changes I do. Most GM LS engines with over 200k. Mainly the oil pan, and rear main seal. Some times the oil pressure sensor and valve covers.
Posted By: wings&wheels

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/06/18 05:44 PM

see list below...
Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/06/18 08:07 PM

The Yugo according to Consumer Reports."A waste of natural resources" was the only positive statement on CR's reporting of the Yugo. Everything under the test vehicle was covered with engine oil.
Posted By: Garak

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/06/18 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
see list below...

All but one from the British List of Bad Boys? wink
Posted By: raaizin

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/06/18 11:37 PM

My wifes ex BMW X3 3.0si. It leaked like the Exxon Valdez smile. Oil filter housing, oil pan, and valve cover gasket. all started at about 6 years and 50k miles. This car was an utter dissapointment. It was a good day when we traded it....
Posted By: Piston_slap

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/07/18 12:02 AM

old Harleys
Posted By: jakewells

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/07/18 05:22 AM

neither of my cars leak but my truck burns some due to valve stems. my old nova cant leak a drop the engine is covered in thick grease.
Posted By: DweezilAZ

Re: which cars leak the most oil? - 06/07/18 07:01 PM

86 Olds Calais 2.5: trans fluid leak. Fixed when I had it. Fixed again after my parents gave it to my little brother. Fixed again when he gave the car back to me. One mechanic he and his wife used refused to even attempt the job.

63 Valiant 225: tiny one from the rear of the engine. Been going on for years. And leaks around the valve cover [ gasket getting replaced even as we speak while the car is in for new motor and trans mounts and new drier and compressor for the aftermarket AC ].

The ION has never leaked in 13 years. So far all looks good.
© 2019 Bob Is The Oil Guy