DIY Low Cooland Level Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Had some bad experiences with overheated engines.
Even though i check the coolant level , and try to and watch the temperature gauge regularly, sometime leak can be significant enough to make engine run out of coolant just in a few hours once it started.
And as far as i know, the temperature gauge just reads the coolant temperature. Once the coolant level is low, the sensor is in mid air. So once temperature gauge is displaying high, means you are out of coolant (if you are lucky enough to see it in time).

In my bmw there is coolant sensor in coolant reservoir. It alarms once the level is low.
But in my Daewoo, there is no sensor. and temperature gauge is so small.
I have an aditional bmw coolant level sensor. i can retrofit it into my reservoir, or even change the reservoir for extra safety.
But anyone idea about how the sensor work ?
I think, while the sensor is inside the water, the circuit is completed. But i need an alarm when there is no water. Not when there is.
Anyone have idea about how to set alarm when circuit is open.

Even if you got it to work it's a waste of time IMO.

The Daewoo probably uses an overflow tank, while the BMW uses an expansion tank.

It is possible to have lots of coolant in the overflow tank, but have an empty system, so adding a sensor to it isn't really useful.

When you check the coolant in the Daewoo you need to check both radiator and overflow tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back