Leaky Napa reman steering rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a drip under the Liberty this evening and it looks like the steering rack is leaking out of both ends. It's a Napa reman, it's a year and a half old, probably less than 20k on it. How long can I dog it along till I need to replace it? I don't know how much fluid came out, I'll check it in the morning when it's cool. I'd like to get at least till summer out of it. Any brands that last? I did this one before my days here and learning they're trash.

Last edited:
Napa's reman products are usually Cardone.

There's a company called Jorgen that supposedly does good remans. I remember Trav saying good things about them.

Just emailed Jorgen...thanks!

The Napa one has a lifetime warranty, seems like that means I'll be replacing it for a life time!

You might be able to squeeze some time out of it. Leaks once they drip look bigger than they are. My grandparent's Trailblazer had quite the power steering leak and we ignored it for 6 months and I only had to top it off once.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Napa's reman products are usually Cardone.

Never used to be - but they are now (for several years)

How bad is the leak? I put 8oz of hyd fluid in my 1979 F250 every month. Have been doing that for 17 years. I always just use used ATF.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Just emailed Jorgen...thanks!

The Napa one has a lifetime warranty, seems like that means I'll be replacing it for a life time!

That's about it. Jorgen does a nice job. Always do a return line off exchange of the PS system before changing racks or pumps.

I'm shocked Napa would use Cardone as their house brand remanufacturer. If a shop purchases one and it fails within warranty, do they reimburse labor?

Napa will but its a long and bumpy road. Jorgen does but I have no experience with it, I never had any problems with their work, this does not include DIY installs.

Cardone is such garbage it's a joke. I had 3 PS pumps go bad before getting OEM and being done with it. 2 CV axles brand new would vibrate, swapped for OEM instantly gone. I refuse to buy their junk anymore. Worse than junk actually. Junk yard parts are more reliable.

Just checked the fluid level and it's at the full line still. It's probably been leaking for sometime I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back