2017 Ford Escape 2.0L ATF change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son JUST got a 2017 Escape. As in today. It has 20-something thousand miles on it now. It has the 2.0L Ecoboost. I haven't seen any documentation yet, which is why I came here. It looks like the drain/fill procedure on this should be pretty straight forward. Do they all have the fill port up top? I haven't actually laid eyes on his car yet. I just want to know what I've got in store for myself. It looks like if you're careful and measure what comes out when everything is cold, you should be able to do this at home pretty easily, right? All the videos I've seen on Youtube were on older models, so I don't know what may have changed.

So what are the common thoughts on how often to do a drain/fill? He wants to keep this car a long time. Should we d/f the ATF every 30k? 50k?

Thanks in advance!

And I guess it is worth asking this too:

I believe it has just a fill hold and not a dipstick. Has anyone used a fluid extractor with this transmission? I'm sure I could get some (possibly most) of the fluid out that way like I do with my other vehicles, but having a dipstick I *know* I can get the extractor tube down to the bottom. I'm not sure about this transmission without a dipstick.

See my post earlier today in this thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4702840/Re:_15_escape_tranny_mtc_quest#Post4702840

The fluid gets dark quickly so I'd change the FF asap and then every 30K or so...it's easy to do.

In my 2017 Fusion which had 26K when purchased, I did a D_F at 30K with MC Mercon LV, as M1 ATF does not have the LV spes. I plan to D_F every 30K. To drain, just remove the pipe plug in bottom of the trans. I got about 3.5 qts out. To fill, remove the fill plug on top(easy to find) and put a trans funnel and fill to the exact amount you drained from trans. There's no dip stick.

That sounds like a good plan. I've always done 30K d/f on my other vehicles. Even without a dipstick, this should be pretty easy if i carefully measure what comes out.

I'm curious: has anyone used a fluid extractor to suck fluid out of the fill hole on these transmissions? I've done it on transmissions with dipsticks and can always get just as much out as draining from the drain hole...and it is less messy.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
That sounds like a good plan. I've always done 30K d/f on my other vehicles. Even without a dipstick, this should be pretty easy if i carefully measure what comes out.

I'm curious: has anyone used a fluid extractor to suck fluid out of the fill hole on these transmissions? I've done it on transmissions with dipsticks and can always get just as much out as draining from the drain hole...and it is less messy.

We have a 2017 Explorer with the same transmission, the 6F35. It's super easy to do a drain and fill. I do ours the next morning after driving it onto ramps the night before. That way with it being "cold" I don't have to be concerned with the thermal expansion of hot ATF and trying to replace it with "cold" ATF. This way the ATF's are the same temperature. I drain the fluid into a measured bucket and refill with the same amount. I get about ~43% of the total ATF out doing a drain and fill, about 3.8-4.0 quarts in my case. It's not messy doing it this way as you don't have a pan to drop and spill all over. It's just a drain plug.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back